Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW Z3/Z4 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
dances with roads

Z4M clutch replacement -- support the engine?

I'm oh so slowly following the Pelican Parts instructions for replacing the clutch in my 2007 Z4MC. I have the transmission mount loosened, with a jack supporting the transmission. When I lower the jack, the engine and transmission drop down. Do I need to support the engine before removing the gearbox?

Old 02-28-2020, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I'm oh so slowly following the Pelican Parts instructions for replacing the clutch in my 2007 Z4MC. I have the transmission mount loosened, with a jack supporting the transmission. When I lower the jack, the engine and transmission drop down. Do I need to support the engine before removing the gearbox?
Normally you do need to support the engine. Look at the motor mounts and see what holds it up!
Previously owned: 67 Vette, 427 L88 Stingray, 74 De Tomaso Pantera L. Latest addition: 2000 BMW Z3 Roadster
Old 03-01-2020, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
dances with roads

Thanks for reply. I've pulled a lot of gearboxes in my day. I always supported the engine. But with this one I've read two how-to's, including the one right here on Pelican Parts' website, and neither mention it. I'd have to drop the aluminum undertray, which is a structural part and would mean replacing the hardware. I don't want to do that if it is not necessary.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dances with roads

Answering my own question: no, the engine does not need to be supported.

Transmission is out and sitting on the bench. Engine is just sitting there all by itself. The entire engine/transmission assembly does drop down in the back due to the weight of the gearbox, but once it's off the engine sits there safely just on its own mounts.

Now, if ask me about the bolt not mentioned in any of those instructions, which goes through the cover plate between the engine and bell housing, from the engine side, and oh did I mention it is not referenced in either of the sets of instructions? Then you might hear me speaking Italian.

Last edited by wdb; 03-10-2020 at 04:08 AM..
Old 03-10-2020, 03:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: