Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW Z3/Z4 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

14 fault codes.....

2007 Z4 3.0 SI... 31,000 miles.

Recently, I changed out the Wheels and tires (Brand New Style 325's from an E89). Within 2 minutes of driving, I got the ABS, Brake, and Traction control lights up on the dash. The top hasn't worked in a couple years, so I figure I'll take it in, have it looked at by a great independent mechanic that does BMW and Mini.

He tells me that it has 14 fault codes, I can't remember them all......but Headlight, ABS pump, Water pump, steering angle sensor, and other things (that all work perfectly). He says his equipment can't diagnose it all, and that I'd need to take it to a dealer.

The battery, is likely 10 years old. I bought the car with 9,500 miles, 5 years ago. The battery I believe, is the original. I want to change the battery out, see if that fixes my problems. The mechanic mentioned something about a Can-bus, and fiber optics, and that all these faults may be being triggered by some simple fix. Any ideas? He claims the battery did not throw any codes.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Had a similar issue right after changing my tires last winter. Abs/ brake light, then the car feels like the 4wheel drive was stuck. After chasing the ghost it was steering sensor. But the code said 4wd actuator. Chasing issues on these cars are like chasing gost. Even the best certified bmw mechanics sometimes have to do trial in error ( easy for the dealer as they have spare parts) the actuator cost me $1100 a part that I can't return.
At the end the steering was not communicating with the 4wd causing the actuator code.

It could be anything , it's like a tooth ache causing headache.

I would not buy another Bmw .
Good luck.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by montero1 View Post
2007 Z4 3.0 SI... 31,000 miles.

Recently, I changed out the Wheels and tires (Brand New Style 325's from an E89). Within 2 minutes of driving, I got the ABS, Brake, and Traction control lights up on the dash. The top hasn't worked in a couple years, so I figure I'll take it in, have it looked at by a great independent mechanic that does BMW and Mini.....
Just a suggestion - In addition I would say invest in a OBDII code reader. I recently saw a basic good one for $15 AMZ/eBay or more. I got one of those WIFI ones and I am able to catch codes on a Camry, Mitsubishi and a Z3. Cheers
Old 02-17-2017, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: