Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Any Schwaben scan tool users?

I posted this to the 996/997 forum with not much response, so I will try again here.

I bought the new scan tool to clear service reminders on my "06 987 Boxster (and my friend's water pumpers), but have not been able to find any way to access the instrument cluster module. The functions list shows I should be able to do it, but I'm about to give up and send it back.

Can anyone help me? I did prove the unit was working by turning on automatic locking above 5 mph (then turning it back off again)
Old 07-09-2018, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRick View Post
I posted this to the 996/997 forum with not much response, so I will try again here.

I bought the new scan tool to clear service reminders on my "06 987 Boxster (and my friend's water pumpers), but have not been able to find any way to access the instrument cluster module. The functions list shows I should be able to do it, but I'm about to give up and send it back.

Can anyone help me? I did prove the unit was working by turning on automatic locking above 5 mph (then turning it back off again)
Send it back. We looked at this tool a while ago, and found it could not do several things they said it would.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Quote:

When you first plug it in, I believe that there should be an icon with a Porsche logo next to the OBDII icon, select the Porsche one, then click Systems, then Control Unit, then I believe Electronics, and then you should see Instruments. We've had several people verify that it can do everything that it lists.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Dmitry, I have tried every combination I can think of without success. Here is the main way I have found to get started:

Plug into the OBDII port, turn ignition to ON but do not start engine, Schwaben scanner comes on automatically.

I choose the Porsche option instead of OBDII, then after choosing #1 Boxster 987, it shows me my VIN (that tells me that it is communicating), so I click OK.

That brings me to the Main Menu (#1 Diagnostics, #2 Hot Function, and #3 Programming).

On the Main Menu under #1 Diagnostics, I can choose #1 Auto Scan or #2 Control Units. If I choose #2 Control Units, I see a list of the controllers starting with #1 DME, #2 AWS,#3 Air Conditioning, etc. I scroll down to #5 Instrument Cluster and hit enter. The message is:

No Communicating
1. Make sure the ignition is switched ON (it is)
2. Check the cables between the Tester and the vehicle DLC (cable is connected)
3. Check the vehicle battery is charged. (never an issue and my battery is good)
4. Verify if the system is configured. (not sure how to do this but I do have access to programming functions, so I believe it is configured correctly)

I have also tried all the other controllers with various levels of success.

On the Main Menu, if I choose #2 Hot Function, I get three choices, including tire pressure monitoring, oil reset, and reset with tool, but none of them do anything, and I get the same No Communicating message.

On the Main Menu, if I choose #3 Programming, I do have access to several options, but none are for what I need. I did change my door locks just to see if that would work, and it did, so the unit is definitely working and communicating with my car.

When I first registered my scanner, I think it said the software was up to date. I will try checking or updating again, but if that doesn't work, I'm afraid I will need to return the unit.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

After several frustrating hours of working with the Schwaben scan tool on my bone stock 2006 Boxster, I have reached the conclusion that it does NOT allow resetting the service or oil reminders. My last attempt had me download the latest version of the firmware, but it still doesn't do this most basic task.

Dmitry, I will be contacting you to return the unit.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Unhappy Not Worth the Money

Quote:
After several frustrating hours of working with the Schwaben scan tool on my bone stock 2006 Boxster, I have reached the conclusion that it does NOT allow resetting the service or oil reminders. My last attempt had me download the latest version of the firmware, but it still doesn't do this most basic task.

Dmitry, I will be contacting you to return the unit.
Same here. Does nothing more than my $25 scan tool does. Unfortunately where I bought it from doesn't allow returns. Please let me know if you have any luck returning yours. We purchased from the same place.

Last edited by ottobon100; 10-09-2018 at 01:41 PM..
Old 10-09-2018, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
code reader , scan tool , schwaben