Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Why the Boxster Hate

I bought two 996s last summer and thinking next go around I'll buy an early Boxster. The Carreras are pretty awesome but I'm thinking a Boxster might be even better to drive. They go cheap around here. You can get running cars for under $4K. They usually don't look too good because they have a bad top, ugly original wheels, skinny stock size tires and faded headlights. I'm thinking a Boxster could look really good with new headlights (pricey I know), aftermarket wheels, wider tires, a body color hardtop and a fixed rear wing.

Also, how easy is it to put a 996 engine in a boxster?

Old 12-22-2019, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Where are you finding hate? I have an 05 and it’s a hoot.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The only ones with hate are the hairdressers who bought them new and experienced the heavy depreciation .....
Old 12-22-2019, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 914turboford View Post
I bought two 996s last summer and thinking next go around I'll buy an early Boxster. The Carreras are pretty awesome but I'm thinking a Boxster might be even better to drive. They go cheap around here. You can get running cars for under $4K. They usually don't look too good because they have a bad top, ugly original wheels, skinny stock size tires and faded headlights. I'm thinking a Boxster could look really good with new headlights (pricey I know), aftermarket wheels, wider tires, a body color hardtop and a fixed rear wing.

Also, how easy is it to put a 996 engine in a boxster?
You will have to change alot to put a 996 engine in a Box including a special tune for the DME.

The best way to go is a early Boxster S with a rebuilt engine with LN Engineering billet cylinder sleeves to increase displacement to 3.6 Liters like I have with my 2000 S.

I have a 2001 Box engine that has been rebuilt that way for sale in the classified section.

Here's a link to the rebuild thread on Rennlist

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/649044-3-6-rebuild.html
Old 12-23-2019, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Reiver

Hey, buy what you want …..you know what they say about opinions.
I just bought a 718, manual and minimally optioned for my primary daily driver...I could have had any Porsche but wanted/chose this mid engine platform for it's feel and looks. It is a fantastic car.
You'll find the same angst directed at the 718 even tho it outperforms the earlier models....and all of the Cay/Box because they are not 911's etc....it is silly crap really.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Functionista

The 718 has amazing handling compared to earlier models (I drive all of them almost daily). Customers do not like the sound though...
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Reiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbridge 74 View Post
The 718 has amazing handling compared to earlier models (I drive all of them almost daily). Customers do not like the sound though...
That kills me too....'this food is delicious...but the presentation. Oh my'...and I suspect a great deal of that comes from before hand reading.....well, the weak of mind etc....

What most do not get: Porsche is up against fuel MPG issues in Europe and worldwide...also 'noise pollution' that is more of an issue there than here. What buyers are doing is actually greasing the skids toward an electric platform by not supporting what they can do in the combustion field.
If you like your 'older' car great...hang on to it....but don't denigrate what they are forced to do in todays restricted era.

I wonder how those customers will like the electric sound?

Last edited by Reiver; 12-26-2019 at 04:14 PM..
Old 12-26-2019, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Bought a 2000 Boxster S last spring for $8500 and it has been awesome. Outside cost of maintenance and repair of a foreign car, there is no reason for these cars to be so cheap. Fingers crossed that nothing major happens of course, but though the first year of ownership, this has been the steal of a century for me.

If you can find one that looks clean. Go for it!

Old 01-02-2020, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I bought a 2002 2.7 a few months ago. The repairs to date are what I would consider "normal" for a new-to-me 18 year old car. As far as the difficulty of repair, I've been pleasantly surprised that it seems to be easier to work on than the 2001 Golf that I sold to make room for the Boxster -- especially if you get the Bentley manual. Buying parts from Pelican saves on the mark-up that repair shops cost.

My daughters have figured out that "Boxster drivers DO wave" if they are the ones driving the Boxster -- and 911 owners will wave back. The car is awesome and a nice counterpoint to my aircooled 911. Plus we can drive it year round!

"It's a poor craftsman who blames their tools" -- Unknown
"Any suspension -- no matter how poorly designed -- can be made to work reasonably well if you just stop it from moving." -- Colin Chapman

Last edited by jluetjen; 01-03-2020 at 02:22 PM..
Old 01-03-2020, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I bought a 2000 boxster a couple months ago, I have earlier air cools but wanted something to drive with more comfort. It had under 4,000 miles was in new condition, yes I paid more than 5,000 for it, but it is great. My Ram truck depreciated more in one year than what I paid for the boxster. I consider them a good buy, a good clean one at current prices. A Honda costs more.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Reiver

Here... a later model 718 but these guys start out a bit negative but after a drive...with/without top down...they loved it...watch their comments. It'll make ya feel better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w-QoiWq9iw&feature=emb_logo
Old 01-06-2020, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluetjen View Post
Buying parts from Pelican saves on the mark-up that repair shops cost.
agreed. I get almost all my parts from Pelican, and do almost all the work myself.
the Boxster really is a fun car; and so inexpensive to get into. only downside is the lack of power (at least with the early base models)
2015 BMW X5
Old 01-06-2020, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitro View Post
only downside is the lack of power (at least with the early base models)
It's all relative. There certainly is a "lack of power" compared to lets say -- a 911 of similar age or a Boxster S. But if you compare it to other non-Porsches, it doesn't look that bad at all.
  • Miata: The Boxster 2.7 easily trumps it.
  • BMW Z3: The Bimmer has a little more hp, but the Boxster handles better
  • Mercedes SLK: Similar acceleration, but I don't think that the SLK offered a manual. Plus the Boxster handled better.
  • Honda S2000: OK. Even the 2.0 liter engine makes more HP than the Boxster's 2.5 -- if you want to rev it to 9000 RPM the Honda has 25% more HP. Across the rest of the rev range, not so much. In day-to-day use, I suspect that the Boxster's slightly more relaxed engine, as well as additional storage space will make a more pleasant driver.
  • Pontiac Solstice: Similar to the Mazda
  • Audi TT: Interesting option, but really a Golf convertable hot-rod. So you're dealing with a FWD or 4WD car, with the handling compromises that these architectures bring.

But at the end of the day, if the lack of HP from the 2.5 is a hurdle, you can get a 2.7 for not much more money, which pretty well addresses the engine performance issue compared to the above cars.

Now that it's almost 20 years since many of these cars have been made, many of the competitors are going to fade away (except for the BMW and the Audi). This is because those two cars, and the Boxster are the only galvanized cars on the list. So many of the rest are going to develop rust issues unless you get one from a desert climate.

"Any suspension -- no matter how poorly designed -- can be made to work reasonably well if you just stop it from moving." -- Colin Chapman
Old 01-07-2020, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
As far as the base Boxster, here's a few videos showing performance comparisons (in case you haven't seen them already). I think that they'll give you a pretty good idea of where the 2.5 and 2.7 base 986's stand.

Motorweek test of the Boxster 2.5, a Z3 and a Mercedes SLK

One of the Japanese Tsukuba races with a Boxster 2.7 versus an Acura Integra R, an S2000, an MR-S (breathed on MR-2?), etc.

And finally, an overmatched Boxster 2.7 versus a 350Z, another Honda S2000 and a BMW M3, where the Boxster gives away 30 hp to the S2000, 60 HP to the M3 and 123 HP to the M3 . The Boxster has a Power/weight ratio of 6.09 (KG/HP), while the 350Z has a ratio of 5.01, The S2000 of 5.00 and the M3 4.33. To be honest, a Boxster S (ratio of 5.19) would have been a better vehicle for this comparison**.

But anyhow, guess who doesn't win this last competition?

Old 01-11-2020, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Arena Red hot rod 18k mile on chassis 1999. 3.4L install after IMSB failure. Car was amazing to drive and look at. I dont see the chick car and hairdresser thing here.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996AE View Post
3.4L install after IMSB failure. Car was amazing to drive and look at. I dont see the chick car and hairdresser thing here.g]
That’s awesome!
The “hairdresser” label can easily apply to mustangs, Camaros, and bmw 3 series also, all of which can be hot rodded. I’m not concerned about any sort of “chick car” stereotype.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluetjen View Post
if the lack of HP from the 2.5 is a hurdle, you can get a 2.7 for not much more money, which pretty well addresses the engine performance issue.
17 extra HP isn’t much of a performance difference. I’d rather get the extra 50 hp with an S for just a little more money
Old 01-12-2020, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitro View Post
17 extra HP isn’t much of a performance difference. I’d rather get the extra 50 hp with an S for just a little more money
Ah... but therein lies the slippery slope of Porsche fandom. You're right. But then you could get an additional 50 HP, and a full on 911 (996) for just a few dollars more.

And at that point, for a few dollars more than that you could get a 996 3.6,

... and so on.

At the end of the day, buy the car that you want. I have a 911 2.0E, and I've driven an SC and a Carrera 3.2 (in addition to the Boxster 2.7). They all "feel" quick, and not that different from each other (excepting the weight, and where it's put). The 2.0E is really the only one where I can stretch its legs some before I get into seriously extra-legal speeds. So if all that you can afford (or want) is a Boxster 2.5 - go for it! You'll be able to spend more time at WOT than the owner of a Boxster S.

Besides, some people (like myself) don't like all of the extra "nannies" which are standard on the newer, and higher spec models.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Interesting thread. I used to own a 2001 Boxster base which I bought with about 40k miles on it. I owned it three years and put on 10k miles on it. It was good until I got a CEL on it. I forget the code but the left and right sides of the engines were out of tolerance. Just prior to that I had ordered a new water pump from Pelican Parts(nothing wrong with the old one but just wanted a new replacement). With the CEL I did not want to put any more money into this car and Pelican was good enough to refund me the money due to my returning the new water pump.

I had many green bits in the oil filter and sold the car as is with full disclosure. I got a quote from an indy shop of $5000 cdn or about $3500 us to replace the ims and other related issues.

I now own a 2013 Miata NC and if I had to do it over again I would have taken the Boxster to the Porsche dealership and just got it fixed. Yes the Boxster was a great driving car. 90 mph in third gear. I got snow tires for it and drove it in winter which was probably hard on it including the motor. I had it parked in an unheated garage so I am thinking starting it in winter in cold weather accelerated the demise of the engine.

I ordered all my Boxster parts from Pelican. I did try a 99 911 but it did not give me
the same thrill as the Boxster. The old Boxster is great value especially if you are handy at fixing it yourself. I would suggest getting the ims replaced for peace of mind. Good luck with your search. Cheers, Guy
Old 01-14-2020, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
No hate here. Bought my wife a 2000 Boxster S in August and we both love it. Had good records from the previous owner (he had the IMS and RMS changed) and it's been trouble free.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: