Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Airbag warning light does not come on anymore for test

Hi there,

I experience a strange issue with my airbag warning light:

It does not come on anymore when you turn the ignition key before starting the car, normally it should come on as test like all other lights do.

I heard of at least 2 cases where the MY 2005 cockpit modules are supposed to have a software bug - whenever you later on code an extra function into the cockpit (like e.g. cruise control in my case was retrofitted), the airbag warning light does not work anymore.

Most shops are not aware of that issue, but at least one seems to be.

There seems to be a fix known to the factory installing a later or different firmware to the cockpit ECU so that the airbag light comes back as normal.

Has anybody come across that issue?
Any known specific fixes? Could your Porsche dealer help you?
Most important - I did not find a TSB on it... :-((( - any help and hint appreciated..

My dealer seemed not to be informed, I hope they will manage to get a fix, with factory help...

It should effect only early 987 (and 997) models, 2005, maybe 2006.

Pls only comment on fixes - I know most folks would not care as the cockpit would throw eror messages anyway.., but in Germany it's required to be street legal.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:10 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Have you at least pulled the instrument cluster and checked to make sure it's not just a burned out bulb?
Old 07-10-2012, 10:58 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sure, done that yesterday to ensure it's not a connectivity problem with the plug.

These clusters don' have bulbs anymore, only built- in LEDs which normally don't burn...

I know of 2 similar cases after coding a 2005 model cluster, one got fixed by the dealership, the other didn't, so I start getting nervous. New cluster is 2k Euro..
Old 07-10-2012, 11:23 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Negative. The bulbs do burn out. And, occassionally they don't seat properly, causing an "open" in the connection. Those are the two things I'd check first. That the bulb isn't physically burned out. And that the bulb is seated into the cluster firmly.

There are two/three sizes. I don't know which size fits in the airbag location. What color is the base of the bulb you checked? Green, tan, or black?
Old 07-10-2012, 03:01 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Negative. The 987's dont use bulbs as Ray mentioned. Not for the warning bulbs. Become more educated before you shut him down. At the dealer I've seen clusters fail where the led stops functioning, but I've never heard of a software issue personally. If you do find literature explaining this phenomenon, please share!
Quote:
Negative. The bulbs do burn out. And, occassionally they don't seat properly, causing an "open" in the connection. Those are the two things I'd check first. That the bulb isn't physically burned out. And that the bulb is seated into the cluster firmly.

There are two/three sizes. I don't know which size fits in the airbag location. What color is the base of the bulb you checked? Green, tan, or black?
Old 07-10-2012, 05:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I missed the 987 part, and I didn't shut anyone down. Just reaffirming the fact that a basic electronics continuity check was done first before jumping to the more expensive route.

Appears you were offended by my response? No worries. Nothing personal taken.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:27 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

There are shops that will repair these clusters. I can't find my bookmark but I had my 986 cluster repaired from a company based in the UK with a branch in the US. I suggest doing a broad search like Porsche Instrument repair or Mercedes Instrument repair as most places seem to fix both.

Worse case see if you can buy a used cluster from a wrecked car.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:59 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Will keep you guys posted on how it will work out and what I did.

I know two cases where a software error (only on 2005 models) was confirmed, one was fixed, one was not.

I gave my dealer a heads up so they can research. Will have an appointment there next week.

If they fail - I'd get a used cluster, costs a fraction of a new one. Then have my old cluster fixed at a specialized shop and re-sell either one.

There are no bulbs anymore but built-in LEDs, you cannot check them by any way, I pulled the cluster an made sure.

Last edited by Ray_s; 07-10-2012 at 10:19 PM..
Old 07-10-2012, 10:05 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry Bar, you've been pm'ed.
Ray, as far as repairs are concerned, I've seen instrument clusters repaired from North Hollywood Speedometer. Not personally for this issue, but I've seen them correct the unfixable (and also recalibrate for a higher speedo!)
The dealer should be able to activate the led through the cluster and the airbag control unit. Thats how I'd eliminate the airbag control unit or programming as a possibility before looking into cluster repair.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks

I will hit the dealer coming week and are also hoping on them to be able to illuminate and test the LED before any other measures.

I will need to have a shop in Germany to fix it if it is broken, but still hope on the known software issue for the 2005 models snce 2 independent folks confirmed that bug to me, will keep updates next weeks as this might be of value to other 2005 987 and 997 owners...
Old 07-11-2012, 08:48 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Very~worn~944, like I said, nothing personal taken. Gotta have thick skin on the internet. Sometimes, folks have bad days. And an anonymous username is all it takes for them to vent their frustrations on others.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

..like I expected - the dealer did not help at all and "of course" is not aware of any software bugs with the 2005 clusters.

Only charged 150 bucks to diagnose a defect cluster.. well. great!

Just baught as used one on ebay for 250 bucks instead of the 2000 the dealer wants for a new one, keep my fingers crossed it works. If not I can return it..
Old 07-16-2012, 11:54 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Old 07-16-2012, 11:54 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: