Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
3.6 swap into 03 986S in process

Finally underway. Did most of pre-swap based on Wayne Dempsey's excellent article in the 101 Boxster Projects book. Biggest differences are that mine is 03 vs early car and 3.4 motor used as example in book. I used blended fuel rail set up combining my 986 lines with 996 rails. Best of all world's is to source 03 to 03 if possible as both use 7.8 DME and have best interface overall.
Thus far have done following prior to install: reduced temp thermo, undersized pulley, LN IMS, oil pump piston upgrade, Vertex mod to get oil from oil pump to backside of IMS via revised key with slot. Ultimately will run headers and straight pipes to lightweight muffler. For now did Pedro sport exhaust mods--have to get car thru emissions so using factory manifolds and pipes. Softronic ecu update to gain HP and actuate variocam plus (approx 40HP gain with this update).
Updated all tensioners. Boroscoped prior to install. New seals and coil packs. In process of adding pins to harness. Running digital oil pressure and oil temp gauges (Prosport). (Need to figure best place on engine to mount oil temp sensor) Extended sump for additional oil capacity. Working on using stock airbox with desnorkeled intake tubes. Hope to start next week. Pictures to follow. Probably close to $15K in swap when done. Hope to have close to 350-360HP with headers installed. (At sea level) Planning on using 20W50 synthetic oil with ZDDP additives. (Valvoline racing oil...) Question!:anyone done a factory lsd retrofit?

Last edited by pkp4911; 12-30-2015 at 10:43 PM..
Old 12-30-2015, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

you might want to rethink the 20-50 oil. Tolerances are pretty tight on these cars and the 5-40 synthetic is more inline with what you should use. If you're tracking the car, then change the oil more frequently rather than going thicker.
Remember Warren Hall. Contact me for your Warren 'Early S Man' Hall memorial decals.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Was using 5w30 synthetic when 3.2 let go... advised to go to 20/50. Live in Colorado now--not planning on much track stuff at this point. Maybe some autox.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2015, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well...5w30 isn't recommended either. I still think you should use a Porsche recommended weight. Good shops suggest Motul 5-40 or Joe Gibbs racing oil (rec'd by Jake at Flat Six Innovations). I think with the CO temps, 20 50 is too thick for you, but it's your car. Good luck.
Remember Warren Hall. Contact me for your Warren 'Early S Man' Hall memorial decals.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Your lifters and VarioCam system alone would be much happier with a 5W-40 synthetic than a 20W-50, regardless of the ambient temps.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Looks like the 20/50 will be going in the 73 911, or sent to my son in Tennessee for his cars. 5/40 it is for the m96. Thanks for weighing in.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Liqui molly 5w-40 with liqui molly additive. I run that on my 3.8 convertion.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
What liquid moly additive?

Old 01-01-2016, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
seeker of wisdom

Doesn't mobile one make a 15/50 synthetic? You could give that a shot.

I too am interested in the LSD information about the boxster. I have a g50 LSD from a 996 but haven't wanted to take the car apart to put it in yet if I decide to do it.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Hey guys just an update on this 3.6 swap. I posted this elsewhere but minimal feedback. I keep getting a recurring set of fault codes. They are 356, 358 + 594
I have a durametric and these are some of the numbers coming back at idle and at full temp.
Any input is greatly appreciated. I am running with a modified cold air intake with a sealed box, screen mesh in place, 3 inch tube from cone to MAF. After MAF I upsized to 3.5 inches all the way to the TB. TB is clean and all vacuums subject to smoke test. After 1st code trips, (always the 594/1109 first) The 358, 356 are soon to follow with any significant throttle. Once all 3 tripped it is inevitable that CEL lights up within an hour. I'm less than 1000 miles post swap and the car is still not making all the power I believe it should. I live at 8K' and Softronic did tune based on attitude. The maf is the correct part and is brand new. I also replaced both the pre cat O2 sensors based on one of them telling me that it was going bad. I see nothing in the durametric that would imply that there is an erratic O2 reading or maf reading however I am not familiar enough to know what the RKAT fuel trim values should be. Where else should I be looking? Thank you in advance.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: