Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > European Car Forums > MINI Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Another 2C57 CEL

OMG I hate these cars!
My wife has a 2012 R60 (Countryman S) that I have been fighting with for over a year now.

When driving the car normally under light acceleration the CEL will appear. Code 2C57 (Charge pressure to low) In hot weather you can get it to do it every single time. When it's cold outside it takes much longer to make it happen, and it doesn't do it every time its driven.

Done so far:
New coils and NGK spark plugs (about a month before this issue came up)
New silicone diaphragm in the valve cover (old one was not torn, but I put a new one in anyways)
New OEM diverter valve
New OEM pressure converter
New high pressure fuel pump replaced under extended warranty
Pulled the downpipe/converter off the turbo and can visually see that the wastegate closes when putting a hand vacuum pump on the wastegate actuator. Seems to make a good seal, and there is no play or movement in the linkage from what I can tell. Decided to adjust the linkage anyway since I was already there and it's so much work to get back to that point. Set the travel distance to about 12-13mm. It was a bit more before the adjustment.
With my vacuum gauge on the actuator, I get to about 10in hg at the point the wastegate starts to hit the seat and it's super tight at 15in.
I have checked all the pipes and hose connections, even pressurized the charge pipe with about 10psi from my air compressor onto an adapter to the hose that normally comes off the turbo. I can hear the air going into the intake, but nothing else is leaking from what I can tell.

Can't wait to sell this over engineered headache!

Any other suggestions are welcome!
Old 12-06-2018, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Did you look at these threads:

all4 countryman 2c57 code
all4 countryman 2c57 code
Question on Turbocharger Wastegate Testing

I know you said you've tested the wastegate, but just in case make sure you've looked over this tech article: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/MINI_R56/139-EXHAUST-Turbocharger_Wastegate_Testing/139-EXHAUST-Turbocharger_Wastegate_Testing.htm.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ended up being a bad turbo. The waste gate was horribly sloppy compared to the new turbo.

But now there is a new problem that was not there before.

The engine has a bad hesitation/stumble during acceleration but it does not throw a CEL.
already put in new OEM coils and new NGK plugs. Not sure what else to look for.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochanic View Post
Ended up being a bad turbo. The waste gate was horribly sloppy compared to the new turbo.

But now there is a new problem that was not there before.

The engine has a bad hesitation/stumble during acceleration but it does not throw a CEL.
already put in new OEM coils and new NGK plugs. Not sure what else to look for.
Test your fueling components. When's the last time you did basic maintenance for that system, like replacing the fuel filter?
Old 09-03-2019, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The fuel caps are a big culprit too. They can create a small or large leak when the tank is trying to vent back into the intake. My r56 base was doing this and giving me a massive
Headache. Also ALWAYS use dielectric grease on the coil boots. I chased this same issue for months and was always against dielectric grease. It fixed my issue, don’t use too much or the coils won’t stay seated!
Old 10-26-2019, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
2c57