Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > European Car Forums > MINI Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

2010 Mini Cooper R56 base model keeps jumping time

So I have a 2010 Mini Cooper non turbo it had bent valves I did a valve job and timing chains it was running for 20 minutes and then it would get a dead Miss on cylinder 1 then if you were to let it cool The Misfire would go away it would run for 20 minutes or so and get a dead Miss again and this went on for a day or so on and off well I tried to figure it out now it won't run and it keeps jumping time every time I reset it when you go to start it it jumps again the cam bolts are brand new and torque properly my question is both Vanos sprockets have a considerable amount of play counterclockwise you can rock them I was wondering if that's normal or are they bad and that's why It keeps jumping time I got into this car in the middle of the guy trying to fix it himself so who knows what the original problem was any help is appreciated thank you so much Steven
Old 09-21-2019, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If the harmonic balancer bolt backs off it will jump time. There are two chains, one on the oil pump and then the timing chain. They are compressed together by the harmonic balancer bolt. I had mine jump time right after a valve job. Used loc tite and a torque wrench and it’s been running like a champ ever since.

The two sprockets for the oil pump and timing chain gear do not have a key way. My buddy let the oil pump sprocket fall down into the pan and I couldn’t figure out why the cams weren’t spinning when we cranked it over. Then when the bolt backed out it died at idle after running perfect for a few minutes.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: