Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
Anyone have experience with a Reckless Driving summons?

As you can guess from the subject, I got pulled over tonight by local police. He says he clocked me at 90, and anything over 85 is considered "reckless driving" in CT (the summons/complaint code is 14-222). I have no excuse: it was a clear, dry night with no traffic, I was sober, I was driving my Porsche, and I was having fun and going a bit faster than I should have.

I'm scheduled to appear in court in two weeks.

Now, I know that this is potentially serious, and I'm not shirking responsibility: I was speeding, and I got caught. I am aware that the penalties range from not very severe ($100 fine) to very severe (30 days in jail) and everything in between (license suspended for 30 days).

The possibilities have me feeling anxious. I'm reading that a lot of people who have found themselves in similar situations are advised to appear alone in court the first time and see if the judge will give them a fine and/or reduce the charge. Others say to hire a lawyer, even if it's a first offense.

Some background -- I have no arrests on my record, although I have a vague recollection of having to appear in court for something speeding-related when I was in high school, which was over 20 years ago at this point. I remember having to pay a fine, and don't think I was formally charged with anything. I haven't been pulled over in about 12-15 years.

Have any of you been down this road before? What would be your advice?
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 07-04-2018, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
How busy is this courts docket?

Your absolute best bet, get to the ADA before seeing the judge and make plea deal.

They tend to be far more "generous" than the judge.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stomachmonkey View Post
How busy is this courts docket?

Your absolute best bet, get to the ADA before seeing the judge and make plea deal.

They tend to be far more "generous" than the judge.
Thank you for the quick reply. I'm assuming "ADA" means Assistant District Attourney? How would I even go about doing that? Just call their office?
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 07-04-2018, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have no info for you.
Here in the Phoenix Valley it's common to drive 80 in the fast lane during non rush hour.
I often hit 90 - 95. Virtually no highway patrol here.
I guess I ought to be more mindful.
Good luck.
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 07-04-2018, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFusco View Post
Thank you for the quick reply. I'm assuming "ADA" means Assistant District Attourney? How would I even go about doing that? Just call their office?

Call the court clerk your appearing in. Find out who the prosecutor is. Call them and tell them you’d like to discuss your case. They’ll tell you to meet at the courthouse early.

See what they offer. Don’t admit to anything just say you’ve got a clean record and want to put this behind you.

If you don’t like what they offer. Plead not guilty and get a lawyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2018, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilnj View Post
Call the court clerk your appearing in. Find out who the prosecutor is. Call them and tell them you’d like to discuss your case. They’ll tell you to meet at the courthouse early.

See what they offer. Don’t admit to anything just say you’ve got a clean record and want to put this behind you.

If you don’t like what they offer. Plead not guilty and get a lawyer.

Thank you for the info. Do you think they'd be willing to meet ASAP? Or just the date of my first appearance? I'd really rather not wait 2 weeks if possible...
Old 07-04-2018, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFusco View Post
Thank you for the info. Do you think they'd be willing to meet ASAP? Or just the date of my first appearance? I'd really rather not wait 2 weeks if possible...

Likely not going to take a meeting with someone over a traffic violation but you could ask.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Just get a lawyer and let him/her handle it.
14 535i M Sport
Old 07-04-2018, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPOZZZ View Post
Just get a lawyer and let him/her handle it.
Pay the lawyer tax.
I had similar ticket, low triple digits and got a minor fine and supervision. My attorney was a former DA. He took care of everything. I just paid the fees and fine, and it was worth every penny. A few years later a young co-worker got tagged for "drag racing". Same lawyer same result. The guy he was "racing" got the book thrown at him. ( no lawyer )

"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power."--Benito Mussolini
Old 07-04-2018, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Pay the lawyer or pay the insurance co your choice
04 BMW R1150R
DanielJacobsLLC.com
Old 07-04-2018, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Gon fix it with me hammer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlockhart View Post
A few years later a young co-worker got tagged for "drag racing". Same lawyer same result. The guy he was "racing" got the book thrown at him. ( no lawyer )

I suspect his young age and whatever he did or didn't say was the reason he got the book thrown at him. Rather then lack of lawyer.

Judges get lied and bull****ted to all the time.
By defendants, by accusers, by lawyers, by cops, by everybody.

In my experience, if you are somewhat of reasonable age, can speak coherently and can manage to offer a decent statement and apology for wasting the courts time, the judge will be lenient and just move on to more serious cases , I'm sure they have more then enough work with those.

"your honor,
I realize my speed was over the limit.
I have no excuse for that.

I accept whatever sentence you impose but humbly ask for your consideration because the circumstances do not indicate recklessness,

The weather was good, there was no traffic, my car was in good technical shape, i was not intoxicated , not racing, or showing off.
I am for the most part a sensible and responsible citizen who drove to fast.

I apologize for wasting your time.
Thank you"

Honesty and sincerity goes a long way

Unless there is a technicality in the law that needs to be found or used (which anybody else can do as well if they are willing to dig),
a lawyer will say the same things, at best with some more fancy wording and higher cost.

Last edited by svandamme; 07-05-2018 at 01:16 AM..
Old 07-05-2018, 01:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Insert Tag Line HERE.....

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rattlsnak
yep, i got a ticket for just over triple digits also on a deserted interstate hwy at 1:00am in North Carolina. Considered super speeder with reckless driving attached with mandatory court appearance. Googled lawyers in that county, paid @$285 in his fees and $305 for the ticket and didnt have to show up and it got reduced to 14 mph over.. I'll gladly take that...
Old 07-05-2018, 01:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

beancounter

lawyer.

In general, judges, prosecutors, court officers, etc. are not fans of pro se litigants. Ideally you should find a local attorney who practices in the court that you will be appearing. They will already have a relationship/rapport with the judge and prosecutor.

I was nicked for lane splitting on my motorcycle a couple years back (traffic was dead stopped). It was a 4 point ticket (in researching the "improper passing" violation, I learned that its fewer points to drive on the median or shoulder). I hired a local attorney and plead to reduced violation of "obstructing traffic" which was zero points and $80 fine. $300 to attorney was well worth the cost.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

In NC....a 15 over (in any state) is technically "reckless", lose yer DL territory. I've never needed repesentation, just paid the "reduced" charge amount, and have for years. Not a lot, but it happens..... Quit worrying, and talk to 'em....here, many times, you'll never see a judge or even an ADA...a migistrate might send you on your way...(after you pay ). Lawyers are another option, but not required....just $.....
Old 07-05-2018, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

In Va about a decade ago!

Story is on early S reg somewhere.

agree it's a tense thing to go through. short version for us was high dollar LOCAL WELL RESPECTED atty.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Seems to me your best advice is to contact a lawyer in your area who deals with stuff like this.

There's no charge just to get information on how he/she would handle it.

Then please feel free to share here what they say and recommended, if you want, for more input.

Plus we'll need to see a pic of the offending vehicle at some point.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
How old are you? My experience is that cops, D.A.'s and courts are less harsh on older gentlemen, guys in their twenties and thirties have a harder time.

I was pulled over several years ago in my Porsche 928 accelerating from 110 to 120 mph westbound on I-70 at the Utah border. Or, more correctly, I saw the trooper, and just pulled over. He laughed and said "Thanks for stopping." So he looked at the car, we talked about it and the car shows on the western slope, and he said "Look, I'm going to write you for 94 mph. A huge break as it was only a $50 fine and 2 points...

Last time I did that!
(So I guess it worked). And these days, you couldn't do that because it's become too crowded here.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilnj View Post
Likely not going to take a meeting with someone over a traffic violation but you could ask.

They typically will meet with people day of appearance before court.

These guys typically have a ridiculously stacked plate.

I've had 25 over posted limits reduced to failure to signal just by asking for a break.

All they want to do is get a conviction, for anything, collect some revenue, and get through their stack of cases as fast and painlessly as possible.

If you get no love from them you can always ask for a new date or plead not guilty and then show up with the lawyer.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Thank you for all the info. The consensus seems to be “pay the lawyer tax” if my goal is a reduced charge. My father — a retired cop — is in the camp of “show up on the court date, admit wrongdoing, and apologize for wasting the court’s time,” but I can’t tell if it’s because he think they’ll be lenient with me or if it’s just because he’s pissed off at me (he’s always been somewhat against my Porsche habit).

To answer a question from above, I’m 37, a teacher, and citizen in good standing.

And here’s a pic of the instigator, as requested.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC911 View Post
....here, many times, you'll never see a judge or even an ADA..
Similar around here.

You show up for court, speak with a clerk at a window.

Depending on circumstances they'll offer defensive driving or deferred adjudication which is plead guilty now and don't get another ticket in the jurisdiction for 30 days and the ticket goes away. It's not on your record and insurance is not notified.

That one seems to be mostly a money grab, it's a license to get a ticket every 30 days and just pay the stupid tax with no other penalties.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: