Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
What will my new super power be?

Yesterday I was heating up a burrito in the microwave at work, while at the same time talking with a couple of my co-workers in the break room. There were still a couple of minutes left to go, but I popped open the door and put my hand on the burrito to see how hot it was. It took me a couple of seconds to realize that the platter was still turning, another second or so to notice that the fan was still running - and it finally dawned on me that the microwave was still on! I pulled my hand out and looked at the timer, and it was still counting down. I closed the door, then opened it, and then it shut off like it should.

I'm guessing I had my hand in there between 5 and 10 seconds total at power level 8. I did some googling and it seems the effects are anywhere from "slight warm sensation" (which I felt) to "permanent nerve damage" and other syndromes that I can't pronounce.
Various VWs
Old 09-12-2018, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

https://www.reddit.com/r/theydidthemath/ might get you a ballpark exposure estimate.
-Old microwave. Probably coated internally with spaghetti sauce and grease so it was not operating at peak.
-The amazing multifunction skin organ covering us all. Blood flow circulating.
-Expendable fat cells quickly consumed by macrophages. Easy way to lose weight eh?
-Might be less than a burnt sunbather.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Old 09-12-2018, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Probably have to do the same on the other side of your hand, then let it rest for 60 seconds.

The magnetron hopefully had switched off and the table hadn't slowed down yet - good luck.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Microwave oven =s non ionising radiation.

You are still the regular Joe Shmoe you’ve always been.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Information Overloader

Yeah right. You conveniently left out the beginning part where you asked one of the co-workers to hold your beer.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Maybe it's the effect of the champagne I'm drinking right now, but somehow I find your story of microwaving your own hand to be extremely funny.

Seriously, if you did yourself any real damage, I think you'd know by now.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste

Well he already sound different.....maybe he will mutate into a fly or something.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

This will scare you a bit I think. When I was teaching nuclear power stuff at the reactor site in Schenectady NY at their test facility they were irradiating metal blocks of various stainless steel, alloy 600, ETC with a test system that put out 1000 REMs of gamma radiation. Into the 8th or 9th piece of metal, for some reason it fell over and instead of stopping the irradiation one of the techs opened the door on the pig and stuck his hand in and set it up! Took maybe 10 seconds or so.

Two days later his whole hand was pretty red according to the picture in Time. A week later his whole arm was bright red and the tips of his fingers had turned black. A couple weeks later his whole hand was missing and his arm was turning black. Later they tried amputating his arm but it was too late, he died! His autopsy said his blood was similar to Jello!
Old 09-12-2018, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Free Exams All November!

Dibs on the M3.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Eh stood in front of a radiating radar once.
I'm still alive....

Non Cedo Ferio
Old 09-12-2018, 11:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

a pee pee that no longer works?
14 535i M Sport
Old 09-12-2018, 11:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Your new super power will be to determine if the microwave has shut off first before sticking your hand in there.....either that or flacid E.D.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
I did that once! I got this amazing power to be able to piss my wife off without really doing anything wrong.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabmando View Post
I did that once! I got this amazing power to be able to piss my wife off without really doing anything wrong.
^holy crap I have that power too. Maybe we are long lost Wonder Twins!
Old 09-13-2018, 03:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Weekend Worrier

Microwaved body parts never taste right. Open flame - only way to go.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
^holy crap I have that power too. Maybe we are long lost Wonder Twins!
Do you have a gold ring on your left hand on the finger between your pinkie and middle?
Old 09-13-2018, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Kitchen clean.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
Holy ****! I never thought of that. He can make popcorn in his hand now. If he can get his other hand to sweat butter, the benefits of this mishap would be limitless!
Old 09-13-2018, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

if it turns out to be an ability to see through beautiful womens clothing and view them naked please post up the make and model number of the microwave.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: