Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Super Moderator

Garage
Super-Automatic espresso machine < $1k

Looking for super-automatics for < $1k.

Requirements:

1. Removable milk container. Want to be able to put it back in the fridge - and then pull it out when I want a Cappucino
2. Reasonably sized footprint
3. Removable brew group for cleanup....
4. REasonable customization. Wifey likes long pull espresso/short americanos... I like milk based drinks (easier on my stomach)

We make about 5 Cups per day...

I recall some deep discussions on this topic in the past. I have no interest in manual systems no matter how good. I have a nice Francis machine if I want to get technical. I'm looking for something easy.
1996 993 RS Replica
2008 Yamaha R6
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Old 09-14-2018, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Go to wholelattelove.com
Old 09-14-2018, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks, Spent plenty of time there but there are so many choices. Looking for personal experience.
1996 993 RS Replica
2008 Yamaha R6
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Old 09-14-2018, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Band.

Send a message via AIM to Gogar
I think you’re going to have a hard time <$1k.

IMO removable milk container = lots of cleaning and the novelty wears off reaaaaal quick.
1973 Honda CB350F
Old 09-14-2018, 11:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I bought a refurbished Gaggia Brera from WLL for about $400. Iím very happy with it so far.
It doesnít have a removable milk tray, but that is actually one of the things that I like.
Most of the superautomatics have the auto froth feature. But the Brera has a traditional steam arm. So while the grinding and tamping is done automatically steaming the milk is done manually and takes a little skill.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstreit View Post
Thanks, Spent plenty of time there but there are so many choices. Looking for personal experience.
Good luck to you.

To make my decision I went through the litany of machines and reviews. What sold me was the WLL review because if you read between the lines you could tell they were impressed with the machine.

So do your due diligence.

Last edited by tabs; 09-15-2018 at 02:05 AM..
Old 09-15-2018, 02:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Garage
I can steam some pretty mean foam with my Francis. Just don’t want to. . To your point Gogar, the milk system needs to be self cleaning. I’ve seen those that had to be constantly disassembled. No fun.
1996 993 RS Replica
2008 Yamaha R6
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Old 09-15-2018, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
The built-in milk gizmo seems like overkill. We pour milk, cream, half&half, - whatever - into the cup and then steam it. Works great.
Do they have automatic sugar and flavor syrup dispensers too?
Old 09-15-2018, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
So is grinding, tamping, tapping, etc...

We're about to have the manual vs. tiptronic vs. DSG debate.
1996 993 RS Replica
2008 Yamaha R6
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Old 09-15-2018, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Looking only for new machines? I have a Jura Z5 that I could be convinced to part ways with due to lack of use (have great alternative at the office)
Old 09-15-2018, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Meesta2 View Post
Looking only for new machines? I have a Jura Z5 that I could be convinced to part ways with due to lack of use (have great alternative at the office)
I probably would, but could almost guarantee the wife would put the Kibosh on that. 😀. What my sales pitch?
1996 993 RS Replica
2008 Yamaha R6
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Old 09-15-2018, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I go breville creatista for my home in charlotte. it worked so well and reliably, I go one for my home in san diego as well. limited to nespresso product but its ease of use and cleaning is the attraction.

I have a beast of a la marzocco machine in my garage/man room...it would satisfy the espresso snob. it is sweet but honestly not materially better than the creatatistas and it was 10x the cost.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Meesta2 View Post
that is a good machine for any home!
Old 09-15-2018, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferraripete View Post
I go breville creatista for my home in charlotte. it worked so well and reliably, I go one for my home in san diego as well. limited to nespresso product but its ease of use and cleaning is the attraction.

I have a beast of a la marzocco machine in my garage/man room...it would satisfy the espresso snob. it is sweet but honestly not materially better than the creatatistas and it was 10x the cost.
And I thought I was insane. But NOOOOO...someone is finally better at it than I am...

CITIZEN TABS

WWW.RADIOTABS.COM
Old 09-15-2018, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
I've been looking at this one:

https://www.wholelattelove.com/delonghi-magnifica-s-cappuccino-smart-ecam-23-260-sb

Has what I need. Main complaint is that the beans don't always feed properly. Can you poke any holes in it given what I mentioned above?
1996 993 RS Replica
2008 Yamaha R6
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Old 09-16-2018, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I would pay $100+ to go to an event and taste espressos made from different machines.

I'm doing a double a day in the afternoon with the Saeco Mike sent me. Have tried different tamping techniques and am happy with the results. I've used 3 different espresso beans and each one is radically different from the other. All have been good but not the same flavor as what I've had in restaurants.

What beans are people using?
Old 09-16-2018, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Band.

Send a message via AIM to Gogar
I love Klatch House Espresso, I order it online.
1973 Honda CB350F
Old 09-16-2018, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
I have the Ena Micro 5 from Jura. Costco has them on sale frequently. Just a couple weeks ago for $650, if you rush.

No, no milk ... but I have that setup at work. It is a total mess to clean up. The milk jug is chilled, but there is a silicone tube that's going to the serving area that is not, and it has cheese growing in it on Monday if nobody shuts it down before the weekend and cleans it all out. The milk components are also the ones to go out because of the calcium / mineral build up. Nozzles, valves etc. Sure, you want "all automatic" but if you have to eff with the machine an hour every week and rebuild it every year, what's the upside?

I put milk in the microwave and hit it with a couple shots. The machine makes so much crema with the coffee that i still have a foam effect. If I want to get fancy, we have one of those battery operated frothers (size of an electric tooth brush).

Cheers,

G
Old 09-16-2018, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstreit View Post
I've been looking at this one:

https://www.wholelattelove.com/delonghi-magnifica-s-cappuccino-smart-ecam-23-260-sb

Has what I need. Main complaint is that the beans don't always feed properly. Can you poke any holes in it given what I mentioned above?
How big is the water reservoir and how easy is it to fill? All that rinsing and cleaning is going to take some water.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aigel View Post
I have the Ena Micro 5 from Jura. Costco has them on sale frequently. Just a couple weeks ago for $650, if you rush.

No, no milk ... but I have that setup at work. It is a total mess to clean up. The milk jug is chilled, but there is a silicone tube that's going to the serving area that is not, and it has cheese growing in it on Monday if nobody shuts it down before the weekend and cleans it all out. The milk components are also the ones to go out because of the calcium / mineral build up. Nozzles, valves etc. Sure, you want "all automatic" but if you have to eff with the machine an hour every week and rebuild it every year, what's the upside?

I put milk in the microwave and hit it with a couple shots. The machine makes so much crema with the coffee that i still have a foam effect. If I want to get fancy, we have one of those battery operated frothers (size of an electric tooth brush).

Cheers,

G
Yup. I have one each of the juras at work and at home. I only break out the milk equipment for guests or important meetings. Everyone else can nuke some milk and whiz it with the electric tooth brush. Way too much work otherwise. I just want espresso/americano, and I want it NOW!

The Ena was intriguing when I bought the last bigger one - given that I don't really care about hot milk action. I hope it's as reliable as the mainline models...
Old 09-16-2018, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: