Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
G'day!

Garage
Anyone using Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer?

I was talking to a local mechanic last week and he mentioned using this oil additive. Said none of the fuel treatment stuff usually does much but this oil additive really helps, especially for older engines.

Helps engine run better plus extends engine life.

I just ordered a gallon from Amazon for my 200K+ miles '02 Silverado.

I have use the product called "Restore" before and wonder if this is a similar type product.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I'm not using anything like that. I'm curious if there are any independent studies that measure benefits compared to using e.g. synthetic oil. My guess is this stuff should be put in the snake oil listing. However, if it does no harm and makes you feel good - then that's a benefit.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
least common denominator

Input from sammy in 3... 2... 1...
A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Unregistered

LOL, how it is on stains?
Old 09-18-2018, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcoles View Post
I'm not using anything like that. I'm curious if there are any independent studies that measure benefits compared to using e.g. synthetic oil. My guess is this stuff should be put in the snake oil listing. However, if it does no harm and makes you feel good - then that's a benefit.
I have direct evidence that synthetic reduces oil varnishing on engines. On our big 1.6MW recip engines, we use dino oil and change it about every 700 hours. That is a short change, but the fuel gas has very high H2S. I am working to get the H2S reduced, but it is not cost effective yet.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Unregistered

One of my main responsibilities for many years in the refining biddness was improving the reliability of rotating equipment. Pumps, turbines, compressor, blowers, motors, gearboxes.
We ran shell synthetic oil in almost all of them.

Partly because I didn't care about the cost of the oil.
Partly because most of the equipment with ball bearings was on a mist-only lubrication system.
Partly because the equipment with a sump got oil changes once a year.
Partly because the typical pump ran 24/7 for 6-1/2 years between overhaul on average.
And partly because the average overhaul cost of a pump was $14k. with some costing half a mil.

Synthetic oil is better.
Is it better enough to justify the extra cost in a car engine?
Probably not if I'm changing the oil twice a year it isn't IMO, but it certainly won't hurt anything except maybe your bank account.
But if I changed the oil every 12k miles, then synthetic would make perfect sense.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
I have direct evidence that synthetic reduces oil varnishing on engines. On our big 1.6MW recip engines, we use dino oil and change it about every 700 hours. That is a short change, but the fuel gas has very high H2S. I am working to get the H2S reduced, but it is not cost effective yet.
Do you guys have to wear personal H2S meters?
Old 09-18-2018, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Sammy and James know a lot more about oil than me but I'm pretty sure that Lucas products help protect the portfolio of the guy who started that company, better than using regular or synthetic oil.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
I was talking to a local mechanic last week and he mentioned using this oil additive. Said none of the fuel treatment stuff usually does much but this oil additive really helps, especially for older engines.

Helps engine run better plus extends engine life.

I just ordered a gallon from Amazon for my 200K+ miles '02 Silverado.

I have use the product called "Restore" before and wonder if this is a similar type product.

When I purchased my 78 Mini it came with a horrible rod knock. Undisclosed by the seller who was supposed to be a honest standup guy on another forum.

I decided to try the lucas stuff in it, I could not use synthetic in that British cars is it would just run through the engine and onto the floor through the many leaks it had.

Maybe that Lucas stuff is snake oil, I do know I drove that car for 3 years before I decided to stop gambling and get another engine for it.

I honestly felt it helped make that engine last longer than it should have.

I now use it in my E30 and my FJ Cruiser, I sub out 1 quart of oil for a quart of the lucas stuff, they also make a synthetic blend.

Being as those car do not get a lot of miles on them, it is really not costing me that much more.

Part of the reason I love the i3 is no more oil changes.

My work truck is a 04 Tacoma, that is the only car I do not run it in and that is the only car I go to the 10 minute Penzoil place for my oil changes. I change out the dino oil on that every 7K miles, if I remember, I sometimes have went 8-9K miles on a oil change.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 09-18-2018, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I use it in my a833 manual transmission. It is clingy and my mechanic said it helps a lot with the synchros. I don't know if it really does, but I trust him. He has done a lot of CORR and SCORE vehicles.

Synthetic in the engines.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Thanks for all the input thus far.

FWIW, there's a fair number of 5 star ratings on the Amazon site for this product. I realize that ratings are not exactly scientific, but for me, they do provide some measure of a product's worth.

I won't be using synthetic in my old truck, although I do recognize it's value. I just don't see it as the right product for my application. My engine has never seen synthetic in the past 127K miles for one thing and I'm also concerned about seepage.

Thanks again so far for the comments!
Old 09-18-2018, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post
Do you guys have to wear personal H2S meters?
There are fixed H2S sensors in the pressurized areas. Most of the fuel piping is below atmospheric pressure.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Of the two, Restore is probably the better product for a worn engine with reduced compression or consumption issues. I tend to use certain oils in certain cars, but I would only use additives in an engine with specific problems I wanted to band aid over.

I know people who use Lucas, and their power steering additive is top notch. The oil additive isn't something I would use in an engine that had good compression and oil pressure, but I know people who do, and it doesn't seem to hurt anything.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Unregistered

A friend of mine was sponsored by Lucas for many years and is still good friends with Morgan Lucas. I don't believe there is anything wrong with Lucas products. I have not personally tested most of them.

if you did an inventory check of my garage and my shop you might find the odd bottle of techron, but likely wouldn't find anything that said Lucas or royal or purple.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
There are fixed H2S sensors in the pressurized areas. Most of the fuel piping is below atmospheric pressure.
Cool, having the system under a vacuum makes it a lot safer , .......
unless you get air leaks into the fuel gas
(no such thing as a vacuum Sammy, you know better )

We had to wear personal H2S meters at all times in the plant and they got to be a pain, having to calibrate them every day, batteries wearing out, etc.
But I guess they're better than getting knocked down.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
weekend wOrrier

WELL... at least in the autozone store, in the little plastic gear thingee you turn at the checkout counter, the Lucas makes the oil stick to the gears like molasses!
Old 09-18-2018, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAKYSEALS951 View Post
WELL... at least in the autozone store, in the little plastic gear thingee you turn at the checkout counter, the Lucas makes the oil stick to the gears like molasses!
Now that's the kind of analytical data I was looking for!
Old 09-18-2018, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post
Cool, having the system under a vacuum makes it a lot safer , .......
unless you get air leaks into the fuel gas
(no such thing as a vacuum Sammy, you know better )

We had to wear personal H2S meters at all times in the plant and they got to be a pain, having to calibrate them every day, batteries wearing out, etc.
But I guess they're better than getting knocked down.
The gas is "pulled" from the landfill. It is usually collected around -10 inH20. At our landfill it is closer to -25-30 inh20. Once it passes the gas blower skid, it is 4.5 psig. So around the gas skid and in the engine compartments, we have fixed sensors.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Your old silverado with its ls engine will probably go 300k on dino oil with regular oil changes,
My 6.0 is at 215,000 on 5w30 store brand oil, at every 3-4k. No smoke, no noise, and zero oil consumption.
I think an ls would probably run fine on wd 40 if you had to They are really durable motors .
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 09-18-2018, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

I have been "slowly" changing the oil in my lawnmower to Lucas. It is probably 50% lucas now. I have not changed the oil in it since new about 7 years ago.

I am morbidly curious to see if the engine pukes or lasts for 10 more years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 09-18-2018, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: