Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to BRPORSCHE
Thanks everyone. Even if this issue is corrected or the house is heavily discounted it most likely has other corners cut.

David/James, I'd love for you guys to swing by and eyeball it but it's quite a drive from y'all. We will most likely be walking on this one anyways but thank you for the help.

Jim, that's the SO and ten years my elder. I did well.
'87 924S - Keep's the Porsche DNA in my system while the 911 is down.
aka "Wolf boy"
Old 10-05-2018, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
One thing to consider is that builders generally do not provide adequate foundations, or any serious engineering into their design, so I would always be wary of houses that are perched on sloping lots and also any house on soil that has a high clay content, particularly in a climate like Texas, or you have hot dry summers.

Even though the brick on that house is a veneer, if it been built properly you would never see a problem like that. My house was built 45 years ago and doesn't have a single crack anywhere in the brick fašade.
Wow, I cannot keep to your experience but I can speak. As a concrete contractor pouring 2500+ residential foundations a year in Southern California I can say that a tremendous amount of engineering goes into the slab and foundation designs. A tract home from the likes of Lennar et al. are seriously OVER built.

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 10-05-2018, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

who built country walk that ANDREW blew away

''90% of the 1,700 homes in Country Walk were destroyed. Following the hurricane, property owners filed lawsuits against the developer of Country Walk, Arvida for shoddy construction.'' wiki

a buddy watched them pull the rebar BEFORE the pour after the inspector left
[and move the rebar to the next house and repeat]
he quit

Last edited by nota; 10-05-2018 at 02:40 PM..
Old 10-05-2018, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

As we say in the renovation industry; run Forest run.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daepp View Post
Wow, I cannot keep to your experience but I can speak. As a concrete contractor pouring 2500+ residential foundations a year in Southern California I can say that a tremendous amount of engineering goes into the slab and foundation designs. A tract home from the likes of Lennar et al. are seriously OVER built.
Around here, they're typically designed to the code minimums. As a commercial contractor, I have never built a foundation that wasn't engineered by a structural engineer. We always start with a geotechnical report based on a number of test holes that are drilled.

I doubt even 1 in 100 houses in my part of the country ever have any sort of soil testing.

The other mistake made by almost every residential builder that I see is they don't properly grade the sites, and what grading they do perform is usually done after the house is nearly finished. They don't replace poor soils with suitable ones, they don't do any substantial compaction, they don't do any compaction testing.

Last edited by javadog; 10-05-2018 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: Damned typos
Old 10-05-2018, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Interesting.

Like I said my experience is limited to only So Cal, but here geo-technical and soils engineers are involved in every project and are along for all initial phases of construction. They don’t always sample/core every lot, but they take representative samples and we live and die by their reports.

And as for overbuilding, I have always suspected it. But a few years back several of our foundations were undermined by a a creek that swelled beyond belief, and I actually stood under the underlined corner of a two story foundation where slab and house were cantilevered at least ten feet out into midair. Anecdotal I know, but a good foundation with steel or cables is a mighty strong structure.

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 10-05-2018, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BRPORSCHE
Hey guys, we terminated the contract this morning after a visit with the structural engineer. We didn't want to have to deal with any future issues. Thank you everyone for the help. There is plenty on the market here and we will get a good one.

Just as some quick help though. What would you attribute this too? This was in the garage directly below the window. While there was no obvious staining this still look ominous.

It is difficult to see but the paint appears to have dimples.
'87 924S - Keep's the Porsche DNA in my system while the 911 is down.
aka "Wolf boy"
Old 10-06-2018, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Taunter of Asshats

Water trapped between paint and sheetrock. Paint fill is probably detached from rock, and will peel if touched.

Engineer find anything else?

#red-beard2020
Old 10-07-2018, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Fwiw, my BIL had a similar issue. Owner was moving to FL and had to sell. Took major $$$ off the price to do the deal. BIL Had it fixed up, reinforced, etc... good to go for over 10 years now.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: