Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

38kw diesel generator at our beach house along with auto transfer switch. This is a low speed water cooled commercial diesel unit that can power the entire house and all ancillaries. Generac product with a 4 cylinder turbocharged engine. Pretty simple technology which is good

Pretty impressive unit that is remarkably quiet with the optional hush kit. Does the typical self test but we switch the house over to generator power monthly and run under load as opposed to just powering up the unit to confirm it runs. Getting some heat into the generator head to drive out moisture seems to be a good idea as the units has proven incredibly reliable. We're on an island so reliable is important as getting parts is tough and local support is typically overwhelmed.

House has oil heat, so we bumped up tank capacity to 2500 gallons, which gives us something like 45 days capacity at 1/2 load. The first full fill was painful ....

It we're still without power after 45 days we've got bigger problems. I cycle fuel pretty regularly as I fill the boat with the same diesel/home hearing oil so no issues with stale fuel. Obviously need a poured foundation and some forethought prior to install.

Similar system at home with a smaller reserve of fuel. Has made us the envy of the neighborhood on a couple occasions.

Past experience had proven the natural gas/propane high speed units (generac/Briggs/kohler etc) are pretty flakey and prime to failing when it counts. They are not designed for continous use and live a hard life sitting around waiting then being expected to perform flawlessly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Old 10-22-2018, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered

Found this one last night , it is air cooled so not comparing apples to apples with the previous unit I was looking at . But the price is VERY tempting . Thoughts ?

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/for/d/generac-15kw-generator/6728450993.html
Old 10-23-2018, 03:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
"O"man(are we in trouble)

Yep, 15Kw, Generac

Wouldn't be without it up here.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Wonder the engine hours. Anything over 3k would be a no go for me.

IRR... What IRR!
Old 10-23-2018, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
As many if you know, we manufacture hybrid solar energy systems, which include a generator.

Fuel: If you do not have natural gas, go propane. Propane stores better than diesel and you can utilize the gas for other things, hot water, cooking, heating, etc.

If you are looking for a system to run LOTS of hours, go diesel. Most of the engines are designed for long life. And if you are running lots of hours, get a Prime rated unit.

I would not be afraid to purchase a used generator. Most have had little use.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_porschekid View Post
Wonder the engine hours. Anything over 3k would be a no go for me.
3K is a huge number of hours for a backup generator. That is equal to about 20 weeks of operation. Most backup units, air cooled, are about done at 1000-2000 hours.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Registered

Thats what I was thinking. The few Ive looked at seem to be small riding lawn mower engines, or something very close. 1k seems like a lot of hours for most B&S, at least to me. Check the oil and do a compression test, what else? A little yanmar or kubota will seemingly go forever but are priced accordingly.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I donít know what they sell for, but just the look of the ad screams scam. Looks just like the Craigslist ads I posted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Found this one last night , it is air cooled so not comparing apples to apples with the previous unit I was looking at . But the price is VERY tempting . Thoughts ?

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/for/d/generac-15kw-generator/6728450993.html
Old 10-23-2018, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
I donít know what they sell for, but just the look of the ad screams scam. Looks just like the Craigslist ads I posted here.
Screams stolen to me

IRR... What IRR!
Old 10-23-2018, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
3K is a huge number of hours for a backup generator. That is equal to about 20 weeks of operation. Most backup units, air cooled, are about done at 1000-2000 hours.
That's less then research that I've done... But not surprising.

IRR... What IRR!
Old 10-23-2018, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Grew up in the Ozarks where you get ice that brings down the tree limbs onto the power lines, so hate to be without power.

I have two 15 KW Onan gas aircooled generators and they work fine, then several smaller 6-8 kw portable units.

Did I say I hate to be without power?
2013 Jag XF, 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins (the workhorse), 1992 Jaguar XJ S-3 V-12 VDP (one of only 100 examples made), 1969 Jaguar XJ (been in the family since new), 1985 911 Targa backdated to 1973 RS specs with a 3.6 shoehorned in the back, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite (former SCCA H-Prod), 2010 Jaguar XF (fast touring car), 1995 BMW R1100RSL, 1971 & '72 BMW R75/5 "Toaster," Ural Tourist w/sidecar, 1949 Aeronca Sedan / QB
Old 12-11-2018, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Registered

We’ve been out for up to 10days. Most recently back in January.
Thank you con ed.

YMMV but a 9500W portable through a transfer switch did the trick.
No well, but it’ll power the bottom half of the a/c - 3.5 tons - or the boiler plus 4 fridges and the rest of the necessities for surviving.

I’d need to bury a propane tank and the cost of a whole house system was 20k more than a portable and 6 gas cans. Filling it is a pita and it’s not silent, but we lose power enough that I wouldn’t ever be without it.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

canna change law physics

Garage
Welcome back, Dr. Phil

Old 12-11-2018, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: