Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

my smart TV is too smart

very very aggravating!!

when I turn on my TV the TV turns on my DVD player(universal remote that operates everything ). then I have to (find) pickup the TV remote press the really small buttons and go through and select the cable box, USUALLY TWICE!!!

I have tried turning on the cable box first and even waiting before turning on the TV, but the TV still turns on the DVD player.

I guess I am out smarted by my TV because it has won
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 01-18-2019, 03:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
It's not just your TV.

It's called HDMI-CEC.

Its a remote control unifying protocol.

My media room surround receiver does it, has been for years. Really annoying when you have multiple attached devices as there can be several that are CEC enabled and they fight for priority.

You should be able to disable it but the rub is there is no industry standard for how it's identified in settings so it's not always obvious.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

My wife has it all figured out how to watch Netflix, Hulu, her firestick, run a DVD, run a VHS, run a movie off of her laptop, and any other configuration that I sit there waiting for 20 minutes in silence for...lots of cussing. I'm a luddite who hardly looks at my phone, and only watch what is on broadcast TV.

God Forbid I watch the commercials in between shows !
Old 01-18-2019, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Puny Bird

My mom has moved into nursing care, what pizzes me off is a total lack of simplicity for the elderly.
Mom can barely keep power on and channel up/down in her brain, the several dozen buttons on the remote is just beyond her.
Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Henry View Post
My mom has moved into nursing care, what pizzes me off is a total lack of simplicity for the elderly.
Mom can barely keep power on and channel up/down in her brain, the several dozen buttons on the remote is just beyond her.
I think they make super simple universal remotes for folks that don't want the more complex remotes. Also, not having the other buttons keeps folks from hitting the wrong buttons and causing more problems.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 01-18-2019, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Content User

Garage
We recently got a Samsung TV and I marvel at their remote. There are literally 9 buttons on it, plus a four-way direction pad with a central select button. My first thought, when I saw it, was "How the hell are you supposed to do everything with that?", but it is an absolutely amazing piece of design. Literally, the entire TV is controlled by it. In fact it may have a couple of buttons we don't use. It even controls the DVD player!
1998 986 Boxster - Black - SOLD
1984 944 - Red - SOLD
Old 01-18-2019, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Mine isn't smart enough... It has buttons for netflix, and apps, but when you exit from using those (like watching the new Grand tour that just came out on prime - not bad) it dumps you back onto another HDMI (2) and you need to cycle through sources to get back to TV. And possibly refire the set top box which lost the plot. And sometimes the apps don't quit right, and you get sound from both the apps channel and the regular TV mixed together (WRC on redbull TV mixed with Counterpart, odd). And often it will drop Wifi. At which time I use the cable's remote instead of the TVs (which has netflix but this time in voice command!) and apparently Wifi works for the DVR/Set-top.

This $%#$% is getting too fancy. I cannot wait till the first major hack of TVs, fridges, Nests, that fries everything in your house. Maybe we'll go back to common sense...
Old 01-18-2019, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste

No matter which button I press my TV always dumps me off at FAUX news....then it tells me to repeat after Hannity....

CITIZEN TABS

WWW.RADIOTABS.COM
Old 01-18-2019, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerkuld View Post
We recently got a Samsung TV and I marvel at their remote. There are literally 9 buttons on it, plus a four-way direction pad with a central select button. My first thought, when I saw it, was "How the hell are you supposed to do everything with that?", but it is an absolutely amazing piece of design. Literally, the entire TV is controlled by it. In fact it may have a couple of buttons we don't use. It even controls the DVD player!

Our new Samsung tv came with the same remote. It is cool that it can do so much with very few buttons.
It's suppose to be a universal remote but i could not get it to work with my denon receiver.
Finally gave up and bought a logitech universal remote, best $60 I've spent in a long time.
Easy to set up through a lap top.
If i want to watch netflix or Amazon i simply press one button and it turns just the device's needed for that application.
Watch cable tv is the same, press 1 button.
The logitech has to be the best remote I've ever owned.

Steve

Last edited by freeform911; 01-18-2019 at 12:21 PM..
Old 01-18-2019, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: