Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Model Citizen

Garage
A question about body flexibility

Quick question. Can you put on your socks while standing up?

The reason for asking is, since having my hip replaced, I've tried and mostly succeeded to maintain a daily regiment of stretching and strengthening. My daily test is to put my socks on while standing. Some days it's easier than others, but I (almost) always persevere. To say I can ever do it smoothly and easily would be a lie, even though my balance, strength and flexibility is much better since August. Lately it seems like I've really plateaued. I know there's an 80/20 rule for most of life, and I'm at the point of marginal gains, so I have no intention of quitting, but I just wonder if this little test I give myself is something that people like me find easy to do?
(I've never been super-flexible, never been able to touch my toes)
Old 02-10-2019, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to avi8torny
I have always subscribed to the idea that the more flexibility you have in a joint the
less pain you will have. This has served me well, especially after a recent back injury.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

At 61 years old, I am starting to think my dream of an Olympic gold medal in gymnastics might be moving out of reach.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I generally put my socks on sitting down, and stopped using shoes with laces since my bad car accident 6 years ago. I have better flexibility than most, and can still get all 10 fingers on the ground with straight legs, but with a pants belt on, I find that it is uncomfortable.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I had a really bad problem with balance a few years ago, and I started doing Tai Chi with my eyes closed. I learned several ways of sensing balance besides relying on my inner ears. I also learned that a lot of what constitutes graceful balance is dependent on core strength.

I suspect that you have a lot more in you that can be brought out if you work at it. I would bet on it.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8torny View Post
I have always subscribed to the idea that the more flexibility you have in a joint the
less pain you will have. This has served me well, especially after a recent back injury.
My thoughts too. I believe that if you have plenty of flexibility it means "more spare room" in there, so if you do get some inflammation it doesn't matter.

I used to get a mild head ache every day. Then I started doing stretches and improving my posture, which resulted in making my neck muscles being not so tight, and haven't had a head ache since.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

^^^ That's why I drink. Too many brain cells make it hard for them to work right.
Give them room to function.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Land of Enchantment

Yes I can and do most mornings, flexibility is somthing I work at regularly.

- 2014 F150 Tremor
- 2004 4Runner with a 1/4 million miles for a DD
- 1988 Carerra 3.2 Coupe Marine Blue ( SOLD)
Old 02-10-2019, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Weekend Worrier

My completely free unsolicited, no guarantee, 2 cent internet opinion would be two parts-
1. With the hip replaced leg, use the good leg as a basepoint for flexibility. How far can you bend / extend things on the good side. Use that as a baseline to consider success for the replaced hip. That's what I did with my total hip replacement... That's what PT used as a guideline for me a while back. It was about 6-8 months in where I had to really fight for increased flexibility.

2. From there, go wherever you please... namaste yoga naste yoga... whatever... don't wanna really know... It was more the #1 I was thinking of.

Last edited by LEAKYSEALS951; 02-10-2019 at 02:01 PM..
Old 02-10-2019, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Ia m still pretty flexible but how does this hip replacement affect your riding?
Old 02-10-2019, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

I am 58.. Had a knee repaired from a motorcycle accident in my 30's.. All the ligaments and knee socket were damaged. I am still walking on my own knees though the one is not 100% full range of motion. I try to stay active. 5 years ago my back started bothering me due to degenerative disk/arthrititis... I was not able to dress standing up then. I increased my exercise routine, and started Mountainbiking more frequently on rougher more technical terrain. I also do daily stretches to keep flexibility which keeps my back from hurting. Now I get dressed standing up with ease. Balance and flexibility are key as well as some self confidence that comes from being in shape. Not sure what the future holds but I want the quality of life to be the best possible so taking care of myself physically is important.

Last edited by wswartzwel; 02-10-2019 at 02:31 PM..
Old 02-10-2019, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
A Secret Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by herr_oberst View Post
Quick question. Can you put on your socks while standing up?
Not a chance. I'd fall over like a grain silo being demo'ed...here is me trying to put on socks while standing up:

After years of fighting the effects of an accident early in life, my left hip has been replaced and my right hip is scheduled for early next year: We'll see if the CBO's continue to work.

The Inklings
Old 02-10-2019, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Weekend Worrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
Ia m still pretty flexible but how does this hip replacement affect your riding?
Simple question- Long answer.. You don't want to get me started!
Old 02-10-2019, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I generally put my socks on while sitting - that's probably since the socks are kept near the bed and I sit on the bed.

But, to answer your question....I just now took off my socks and put them back on while standing - no issues.

I do get vertigo a few times per year and I would probably have a tough time doing this exercise but Dramamine for a day or so usually wipes that out.
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 02-10-2019, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Feelin' Solexy

I suppose I could, but I always sit to put on my socks and shoes.... not sure why, I definitely stand to put on pants. I am also absurdly flexible, both by natural physiology and through intentional stretches e.g. I can stand with my knees locked and put my entire palm of both hands flat on the ground and keep them there, no sweat.

The older I get (about to turn 39) the more often I ponder the differences (attitude, habits etc) of the 60 and 70 year olds I know who are "old" vs those who are still out there killing it. My dad is 78, he skis 60-70 or so days each season and kept up with me on a challenging 8 day backpacking trip last year. I'm pretty sure he could take me in a fight if it came down to it. We had a house guest recently who just turned 67, no notable health problems and a healthy BMI... he could not muster the strength to walk half a mile down to our beach on a mildly graded footpath through the woods.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I can barely put them on sitting on a low stool. 59 yrs old, in the last six months had lumbar spinal fusion and rotator cuff surgery. Started basic yoga and stretching routine. Making slow but steady improvements. When I flex forward my fingertips are 12” from floor. I used to be be 4-5 inches from floor. Hope to get back on the tennis court soon. Tim
Old 02-10-2019, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
I probably could but don’t try. My balance may be good but the arthritis in my feet keep them from responding to the signals.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
I'm a Country Member

Apparently a good simple test of fitness, flex and balance is to sit on the floor on your butt. Now stand, do not use your hands.

Pikkiwoki. A pig and all the coconuts you can carry. Convert now.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartj View Post
Now stand, do not use your hands.

Too easy.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I always put my socks on while sitting since they're right there. I do dry my feet and legs off standing on one foot when I get out of the shower. Does that count?
Old 02-10-2019, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: