Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
A Secret Place

Book Valuation Website

I know how subjective it is, and, like stamps, a fools errand in terms of values.

But, my wife and I are purging ourselves of books and other clutter.

We have a lot of First Editions from a number of authors from a number of genres.

Can anyone recommend a website that has a reasonable evaluation tool (that I can then decrease by 90%) based on condition, no jacket, etc.?

Thanks!

The Inklings
Old 02-17-2019, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I have been doing the same thing namely trying to dispose of some old books. I have googled the name of the book and author and the response is from either ebay or amazon. Not great prices considering the older books are mostly 1950's and one in the 1930's. When I go to a used book store it will give me some idea of how much to ask for them.
Cheers, Guy
Old 02-17-2019, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
A Secret Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled sixtie View Post
I have been doing the same thing namely trying to dispose of some old books. I have googled the name of the book and author and the response is from either ebay or amazon. Not great prices considering the older books are mostly 1950's and one in the 1930's. When I go to a used book store it will give me some idea of how much to ask for them.
Cheers, Guy
Boxes and boxes...anything that is on sale or valued under $5.00 on the sites I have found gets the hook.

The local used bookstore is interested because he knows my wife. The rest donate to the local library, if they will take them.

We have found some really interesting stuff in and among the bookshelves we haven't touched in 15 years.

This has been a very interesting day!

The Inklings
Old 02-17-2019, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I am rereading books that I have not read for 5-10 years. It seems like I am reading them for the first time!

Perhaps some of mine could be used for the PPOT gift exchange. I have been buying used books on Amazon and even with shipping it comes under the price of a new paper back at a local book store. Love my books but like you say got to downside a lot of stuff.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Depending on how much work you want to do. Take a look at abebook.com and sort for most expensive first. It is surprising what some old books go for. Of course, this is what they are asking for the books.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I had good luck selling books on Ebay last year, I checked what others were asking and undercut them. Sold about $1000 worth there.

Oh yeah, Trump won
Thank you Mr. Putin
Old 02-17-2019, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I am rereading books that I have not read for 5-10 years. It seems like I am reading them for the first time

I am the same way. I don't have to buy new books.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Paul, I am a disciple of the written word and have some space to store books. If you don’t have anywhere else to put your books contact me and we’ll work out a way to get them to me in one piece and I’ll keep them.

Last edited by MRM; 02-17-2019 at 06:58 PM..
Old 02-17-2019, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Abe books? Maybe a good resource.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWJ View Post
Abe books? Maybe a good resource.
They have a monthly listing fee.

eBay would be my thought. media rate shipping is the only real upside to selling them online.

Have any chemistry related books?

Non Cedo Ferio
Old 02-18-2019, 01:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I am rereading books that I have not read for 5-10 years. It seems like I am reading them for the first time!

Perhaps some of mine could be used for the PPOT gift exchange. I have been buying used books on Amazon and even with shipping it comes under the price of a new paper back at a local book store. Love my books but like you say got to downside a lot of stuff.
The same. Like I've never read them.

Last edited by karenmarlow; 02-21-2019 at 02:42 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 02-18-2019, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
A Secret Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM View Post
Paul, I am a disciple of the written word and have some space to store books. If you donít have anywhere else to put your books contact me and weíll work out a way to get them to me in one piece and Iíll keep them.
What do you like to read (I am sure the list is wide-ranging but give me your top two)?

I'll ship you a few samples!

The books won't be trashed. The local used book guy gets the first shot, then the Vintage Values folks who sell books and then the local library that accepts donated books they then sell at a big event every year.

I do so much appreciate the offer!

The Inklings
Old 02-18-2019, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Paul, anything you have left over will find a new home. I'm embarrassed to admit that I love spy novels and detective stories. John D. MacDonald and Travis McGee, Len Deighton and Bernard Sampson. Anything by Frederick Forsythe (did you know he was a real life freelance writer, and perhaps something more, in the Biafra war?) All of Nelson DeMille's stuff.

On top of that, I love biographies and autobiographies. Anyone who knows enough about someone to write a biography about him is worth my time and effort to read. Anyone who did enough to write a book about themselves has something that's worth me reading about to learn something.

Classic American literature, Poe, Robert Penn Warren, Mark Twain, Fitzgerald. The Great Gatsby is the Great American Novel but All the King's Men is the Great Southern American Novel. All American comedy descends from Mark Twain and he invented the use of accurate local dialect. Brit Lit - Swift is the father of political satire. The Romantic poets, well words fail to describe. Words are meant to be insufficient when discussing the Romantics. Anything by Dickens or his descendants.

After that, histories and historical fiction. War histories and political tomes. Anything by Max Hastings, Ward Just, Bernard Fall, Churchill, really anyone who writes anything about war.

And finally, I have a soft spot for completely anachronistic books that are period pieces that are a perfect insight into the way things were but are completely bypassed by modern life. I grew up reading anything I could get my hands on. I inherited the books my grandmother held on to that my father and uncles read. The library was full of books that were relevant when written but are no more than time capsule curiosities now. One of my favorites was a young adult novel from the 1930s about the crew an American dirigible named the Goliath and its exploits against its heavier-than-air foes. But everything old is new again and some people are taking a second look at lighter than air craft.

So, basically anything downscale that you have will find a home with me!
Old 02-18-2019, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
A Secret Place

Stand the **** by.

Incoming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM View Post
Paul, anything you have left over will find a new home. I'm embarrassed to admit that I love spy novels and detective stories. John D. MacDonald and Travis McGee, Len Deighton and Bernard Sampson. Anything by Frederick Forsythe (did you know he was a real life freelance writer, and perhaps something more, in the Biafra war?) All of Nelson DeMille's stuff.

On top of that, I love biographies and autobiographies. Anyone who knows enough about someone to write a biography about him is worth my time and effort to read. Anyone who did enough to write a book about themselves has something that's worth me reading about to learn something.

Classic American literature, Poe, Robert Penn Warren, Mark Twain, Fitzgerald. The Great Gatsby is the Great American Novel but All the King's Men is the Great Southern American Novel. All American comedy descends from Mark Twain and he invented the use of accurate local dialect. Brit Lit - Swift is the father of political satire. The Romantic poets, well words fail to describe. Words are meant to be insufficient when discussing the Romantics. Anything by Dickens or his descendants.

After that, histories and historical fiction. War histories and political tomes. Anything by Max Hastings, Ward Just, Bernard Fall, Churchill, really anyone who writes anything about war.

And finally, I have a soft spot for completely anachronistic books that are period pieces that are a perfect insight into the way things were but are completely bypassed by modern life. I grew up reading anything I could get my hands on. I inherited the books my grandmother held on to that my father and uncles read. The library was full of books that were relevant when written but are no more than time capsule curiosities now. One of my favorites was a young adult novel from the 1930s about the crew an American dirigible named the Goliath and its exploits against its heavier-than-air foes. But everything old is new again and some people are taking a second look at lighter than air craft.

So, basically anything downscale that you have will find a home with me!

The Inklings
Old 02-18-2019, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: