Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered User
 
Shaun @ Tru6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 34,429
Nick, everything you've posted has been false. if you want to argue with Agweb/Farm Journal, be my guest.

And what happens to prices when demand outpaces supply? Or just strong demand? What happens to prices then?
__________________
Tru6 Restoration & Design
Old 06-13-2019, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #121 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun @ Tru6 View Post
Nick, everything you've posted has been false. if you want to argue with Agweb/Farm Journal, be my guest.

And what happens to prices when demand outpaces supply? Or just strong demand? What happens to prices then?
They go up. That is not the current case


Monsanto and Round up are a major reason for increased soybean production
Old 06-13-2019, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #122 (permalink)
Brew Master
 
cabmando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Delphos Ohio
Posts: 12,927
Garage
Nothing I have written has been "false" other than my claim of production being double demand. Unlike you, I'm going off of things I have read in the past because I follow this somewhat closely. I mistated something and after your incorrect statement that China's demand is more than global supply I had to search to find where I thought i had seen it.

Now oh great google warrior, Google CRP... because you have no idea what it is and you have to. Then look at how many acres are in CRP... because you have no idea and you have to.. Then, when you see that it's supposed to be for "highly erodible soil" and think AH HA! Nick is wrong... understand that it is not simply for highly erodible land but it also applies to habitat land.. How do I know? Did I mention my family owns farmland? Our production could increase at the drop of a hat if we'd stop paying farmers to keep land out of production so China's demand will only outpace production in the future if we allow it to.
__________________
Nick
Old 06-13-2019, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #123 (permalink)
Information Junky
 
island911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: an island, upper left coast, USA
Posts: 53,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun @ Tru6 View Post
I think the net net here is prior to the tariff war, we weren't paying farmers $28 billion of taxpayer money and China wasn't looking elsewhere for soybeans.
Wow. That's a lot of money. Yet, OTOH, when it comes to life sustaining food... spending to ensure a Land of plenty seems to be a very good plan.

and for a spending refnc:
Quote:
According to a recent report by the U.S. Government Accountability Office, “Federal funding for climate change research, technology, international assistance, and adaptation has increased from $2.4 billion in 1993 to $11.6 billion in 2014, with an additional $26.1 billion for climate change programs and activities provided by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act in 2009.”

per https://www.heritage.org/environment/commentary/follow-the-climate-change-money
Food and water supply support are VERY much in the interest of any highly functioning nation.

Makes sense?
__________________
Everyone you meet knows something you don't. - - - and a whole bunch of crap that is wrong.
Disclaimer: the above was 2 worth.
More information is available as my professional opinion, which is provided for an exorbitant fee.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #124 (permalink)
Brew Master
 
cabmando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Delphos Ohio
Posts: 12,927
Garage
Island,
The problem is, that $28 billion isn't really necessary but rather a way to buy votes or keep votes and that's what pisses me off about it. We had a pretty good year last year even with the "trade war" We had no problem selling our corn or beans when we wanted to. Did we take the "Trump bucks" as we called it? Hell yeah! because if we didn't someone else would have. But did we really need it? nope. Neither did most of the farmers I have talked to about it but they took it for the same reason we did.
__________________
Nick
Old 06-13-2019, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #125 (permalink)
Information Junky
 
island911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: an island, upper left coast, USA
Posts: 53,326
Thanks cab.

This may sound crazy, or perhaps a bit Red-pill...

You say (rightly) "Hell yeah! because if we didn't someone else would have."

Here is the thing about money and a nation; A nation has to find places to infuse new money --actual currency-- when an economy expands. If it does not do this then deflation happens.

So, as you so rightly say "Hell yeah! because if we didn't someone else would have." I am more than happy to see new money land on people who produce tangible national security product (farmers) rather than say climate change modeling programs.
__________________
Everyone you meet knows something you don't. - - - and a whole bunch of crap that is wrong.
Disclaimer: the above was 2 worth.
More information is available as my professional opinion, which is provided for an exorbitant fee.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #126 (permalink)
 
Bland
 
RWebb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greater Metropolitan Nimrod, Orygun
Posts: 43,729
Garage
life sustaining food

soybeans???
Old 06-13-2019, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #127 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner
 
wdfifteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 21,145
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun @ Tru6 View Post
Boy, nothing you post is actually correct. Like nothing. What's with that?
Trump Love Syndrome. Nothing he does can possibly be wrong, so constant excuses must be made. The willful disregard of facts and logic in this thread is Orwellian. Scary.
__________________
.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #128 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Shaun @ Tru6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 34,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post
Trump Love Syndrome. Nothing he does can possibly be wrong, so constant excuses must be made. The willful disregard of facts and logic in this thread is Orwellian. Scary.
I thought that was called Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Mike Judge, prescience defined.
__________________
Tru6 Restoration & Design
Old 06-13-2019, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo
 
Rawknees'Turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: North TexASS
Posts: 12,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post
Trump Love Syndrome. Nothing he does can possibly be wrong, so constant excuses must be made. The willful disregard of facts and logic in this thread is Orwellian. Scary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun @ Tru6 View Post
I thought that was called Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Mike Judge, prescience defined.
Even though cabs suck biggly yuuugggeeee, I'm pretty sure that Cabmando is not a rabid scrubber of the orange nutz, at least not with the zest and vigor of many/most Pelican PARF regulars (maybe he has swallowed more than his usual share of the orange Fool-Aid in the past year, however - I wouldn't know ).
Old 06-13-2019, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #130 (permalink)
Brew Master
 
cabmando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Delphos Ohio
Posts: 12,927
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Even though cabs suck biggly yuuugggeeee, I'm pretty sure that Cabmando is not a rabid scrubber of the orange nutz, at least not with the zest and vigor of many/most Pelican PARF regulars (maybe he has swallowed more than his usual share of the orange Fool-Aid in the past year, however - I wouldn't know ).
When you three are done having your reach around fest take a look at my posts, I haven't defended Trump.. I'm simply saying consumers can indeed avoid the tariffs by being an informed consumer. I'm saying farmers aren't being hurt by the tariff war nearly as bad as the media is saying they are.

What other tools do we have to use against China? Do we just let them keep on doing what they've been doing for the last 20 years? China hit the only thing they could really hit, our ag products. With a change in farming practices and less reliance on GMO, our farmers can open new markets and reduce the effects of the tariffs by China. Meanwhile we've hit around half of their exports and it seems to be working since their GDP in 2018 was the lowest it has been since the late 90's. China can't replace the top consumer market any easier than they can replace one of the top growers of soybeans (Brazil, USA, Argentina top 3)
This will all get sorted out. Rather than bashing Trump, how about supporting his efforts in getting a better deal with China that helps prevent the theft of intellectual property and helps us get more access to their growing consumer market?
Nah... can't do that! That would be good for Trump (and even better for the USA) RESIST.
__________________
Nick
Old 06-14-2019, 03:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #131 (permalink)
Bland
 
RWebb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greater Metropolitan Nimrod, Orygun
Posts: 43,729
Garage
consumers can indeed avoid the tariffs by not buying cars, electronics, trucked in vegetables, and lots of other things
Old 06-14-2019, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #132 (permalink)
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:58 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.