Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Will somebody please kill bambi? (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/1033274-will-somebody-please-kill-bambi.html)

Sooner or later 06-28-2019 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowbob (Post 10506319)
Yes, sorta. SL,

Township officially calls it low-density residential. 1A minimum lots in pockets of huge Ag-rec plats, State and National forests. Really tough zoning, too.

Goddamn deer got no right whatsoever to live here.

Filthy things. Two years ago the Giant Mammoth Gargantuan or whatever hosta that Iíve been nurturing met its demise on account of three of them chatting away with giant green leaves hanging from their organs of wanton destruction.

I have had deer, turkey, possum, and dillos in my yard at one time or another.. And I live in the middle of town. Surrounded by miles of Indian land and military property but still in the middle of town.

I'll take the deer any time over a frigging armadillo. In one night those bastards will destroy a yard. Mowing this morning I had a half dozen holes in my side yard from the grubbing things.

Crowbob 06-28-2019 07:59 AM

Mark did it right.

My GFF is getting organized to have me put down on paper a hybrid raised bed/electrified truck garden for her.

Fairly elaborate terraced bed arrangement surrounded by various types of fencing and slightly less than lethal electricity is emerging.

She gots rabbits. Sneaky and fat ones. Lots of them.

Crowbob 06-28-2019 08:11 AM

My understanding is deer maintain a range of about one square mile emanating from their place of birth. They typically live three years, on average, but there are some very big ol’ savvy bucks out there.

As such, you’d have to take out every deer every year within a square mile of your garden to eradicate the spongiform-ridden scourge.

I’m all for it.

Sooner or later 06-28-2019 08:14 AM

Crowbob, I get the feeling thst you don't care much for deer.

I may be mistaken.

Sooner or later 06-28-2019 08:19 AM

Crowbob, you will be proud of me. Last year I bashed one with my car. 3 blocks from my house.

The street was clear and then suddenly it was Star Trek transported in front of me. Cushed in my hood but it survived and jumped over the fence into Indian land.

KC911 06-28-2019 08:22 AM

CB....I'm disappointed in ya :(. Kick back in the hammock, enjoy the freshly mowed lawn, the sammich, an send her out to cull da herd!

You....errr.... she's got this ;)

kach22i 06-28-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBAtarga (Post 10506318)
When we purchased our current house, we wanted enough land to have a garden and for me to have a workshop. First year in, we cleared an area 35'x65' for a garden. The dimensions were chosen so that a 200' roll of wire fencing would surround the area. We also knew there were deer in the area - as they actually pass through our property every other night or so as a herd. I used wooden 6' fence posts - sunk 2' in the ground and then used electric fencing posts inserted holes drilled in the top of the fence posts. I bought an electric fence charger and wire from a Craigslist add for $40 or so and went to town. As it ends up - I haven't even had to energize the fence - ever. I guess I consider myself fortunate. We have had ZERO issues with wildlife in the garden.

Nice set up and a model for others to follow.

I guess the feral pigs haven't invaded your area yet?

From what I've read there isn't much that will stop them short of a head shot.

Scott Douglas 06-28-2019 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggythecat (Post 10505464)
Bought one of these, but haven't had the heart to use it...yet.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1561660958.jpg

That is acutually illegal where I live. You can gas 'em with gopher bombs but not car exhaust, go figure.
My Honda's run so clean it would take days of running the engine to get enough CO into the system of holes to kill 'em anyways.
I have been known to hook up my edger engine to pump some fumes down the holes, but don't tell anyone that. It wasn't as effective as the gum has proven to be.

Scott Douglas 06-28-2019 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kach22i (Post 10506416)

From what I've read there isn't much that will stop them short of a head shot.

Up on the vineyard we would hunt them for sport. They will rototill a hill side overnight no problem.

Crowbob 06-28-2019 09:15 AM

So I’ve got a couple Sunburst@ Honey Locusts which are a beautiful light yellow when the leaves come in. They are a little later than most deciduous trees.

Anyways this one Locust just won’t grow no matter what. It’s stunted to about 50% where it should be.

Oh. Ok. This spring I look out and see a big, fat, soon-to-be mother deer standing on her hind legs ripping bud and branch much like I do to smoked jerky.

BTW venison jerky is delicious. Buy some.

HardDrive 06-28-2019 09:29 AM

If you need deer culled, I'm in Columbus, and I don't mind helping remove them. Lifelong, safety minded hunter.

I think you can get a permit in OH to take nuisance deer at anytime.

bmcuscgr94 06-28-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Douglas (Post 10506424)
Up on the vineyard we would hunt them for sport. They will rototill a hill side overnight no problem.

This. They'll take out an active irrigation line to get water and a spot to wallow in the mud. Had one charge me once when I was out deer hunting.

Crowbob 06-28-2019 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HardDrive (Post 10506487)
If you need deer culled, I'm in Columbus, and I don't mind helping remove them. Lifelong, safety minded hunter.

I think you can get a permit in OH to take nuisance deer at anytime.

You canít shoot from your house nor within something like 500í of any home. Hunters take out thousands of Ďem and I applaud their efforts. I wish leadership would unshackle them. The ROE are entirely on the side of the evil bastages.

Drones that shoot poison darts sounds like fun. Especially at night.

Sooner or later 06-28-2019 09:43 AM

Feral hogs are terrible here. Once they get a foothold you are screwed. They start breeding before they are a year old. They can pop out 10 piglets a year.

One momma pig can have 50 to 100 grand piglets in less than 2 years.

Sooner or later 06-28-2019 10:06 AM

Human brilliance can screw things up royally.

We move into wild areas, bring our chickens, pets, and favorite food plots into those areas. Since the coyote, foxes, wolves, bobcats, and mountain lions like the treats we bring along their populations soar due to the buffet we supply. We get pissed and eliminate those threats to the things we bring which then allows the deer population to soar since we have limited their preadors and supply the food they like in plots that are in the same locsl year after year.

We ain't nearly as smart as we think.

KC911 06-28-2019 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooner or later (Post 10506528)

We ain't nearly as smart as we think.

So Tabs wuz right ;)...

The reality here, is that the two legged predators have vanished, except for their cars.
The deer, foxes, turkeys, etc. that I see here in my urban oasis, and on my rural acreage, have not been there for before any of us were born.....nor any predators really.

The critters, along with a few predators have shown up here in the past couple of decades....along with lots more people. My rural ain't really rural either, and I provide a sanctuary for deer and everything else...but coyotes....NOPE!

Sooner or later 06-28-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC911 (Post 10506542)
So Tabs wuz right ;)...

The reality here, is that the two legged predators have vanished, except for their cars.
The deer, foxes, turkeys, etc. that I see here in my urban oasis, and on my rural acreage, have not been there for before any of us were born.....nor any predators really.

The critters, along with a few predators have shown up here in the past couple of decades....along with lots more people. My rural ain't really rural either, and I provide a sanctuary for deer and everything else...but coyotes....NOPE!

They have been there though in limited numbers. We move in and increase their food with easy sources (chickens,dogs, cats, corn) that is in the same place year after year so their population increase. We unknowingly bait them in and they gladly accept our generousity.

KC911 06-28-2019 10:54 AM

Not here....I know this area pretty well. I live in the middle of what was my rural Boy Scout camp, and the other has been in the family a hundred years....farmland everywhere, no shortage of nuthin'....either place. Except what moved in the past two decades...both critters and predators...just weren't here when I was a kid.

stevej37 06-28-2019 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=Crowbob;10506329]
But how do you keep the diseased overgrown rodents out of potentially award-winning home landscaping? I mean esthetically.

Deer...rats with antlers.
Responsible for countless dollars of car damage and fatalities.

monoflo 06-28-2019 12:47 PM

Get over it -- its some plants -- wtf is a lawn anyway -- sorry but we are the problem not them