Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Will somebody please kill bambi?

Last year they nearly ruined my apple trees. This spring they munched their way through the strawberries.
Last night - arghh! The early sweet corn was about 5 days from being ready to eat. Last night a gang of deer stomped through the corn patch and ate every ear of nearly-ripe corn. At first I thought it might have been raccoons, but the deer left their footprints. The next batch of corn is about two weeks away from being ripe.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Careful you don't want PETA after you.

We gave up a couple of years ago and put up deer fence around the garden (50' X 150'). Now the problem is gophers. I can't tell from your photo how big your corn patch is, so fencing may not be an option. Deer don't seem to be interested in our 17 acres of walnuts. Ground squirrels and gophers are the problem there.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
cycling has-been

Couple of these (4) strategically place around the yard did the trick for me.
This year, so far, my tender veggies are still intact.

https://www.ebay.com/p/2-PAck-Solar-Powered-Predator-LED-Eye-Pro-Night-Wild-Animal-Repeller/2283093579?thm=1000

Bill K
Old 06-27-2019, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Go to a hunting/fishing shop and get some urine from a predator, like a fox or wolf. Also, mark it yourself, if you get my meaning.

Mark Twain
Old 06-27-2019, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years

Get a Minivan, drive it fast on rural roads...catnip to deer.

Problem solved

There is really no one answer other than layered defense...the suggestions above are excellent.

I do not know what the laws are where you are, or the lay out of your property, but I allow hunters to set up stands and hunt my farm. You can even specify bow or shotgun only. I vet everyone.

There is a crazy amount of deer here.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Information Junky

LOL ^

Self driving cars needed.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post

Funny lookin' deer tracks . They are thriving here...have been for a loooong time. Kiss yer corn adios...

Set out a trail cam or two...you might be shocked at how many your little parsdise supports....at least 20 munching at our trees....groups of 2-3...like clockwork. They don't range far (1 mi. radius)...yer buffet is tasty...they'll be back .
Old 06-27-2019, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Deer tracks?
Old 06-27-2019, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Home of the Whopper

Garage
Get an outdoor dog.
Mine chased away (or ate) every deer, possum, coon, squirrel, bear, etc..
I have found deer carcasses on my porch.
One pooch is a Rhodesian Ridgeback, so no lion issues either!
Old 06-27-2019, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I think my Lab pup just thinks they belong in her yard...just 20' below her as she lounged on my deck last week...one even went to check the mailbox . They don't seem to mind the local fox either....
Old 06-27-2019, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Reintroduce natural predators; wolves, cougars, mountain lions, coyotes and accept that they will do a much better job of controlling the population than we ever could.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage

Best gopher killer I've used yet. Fought 'em for years in our garden with gopher bombs, water down the holes, etc etc to no avail. Finally bought this pack of gum. Two sticks is all it took. Haven't seen hide nor hair of them since.

My experience with deer is limited to what I dealt with up on the vineyard. A very tall fence is what kept them out.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

On any given morning, I can see 8-15 deer out behind my house. They leave the garden and shrubs alone in the summer because they have plenty of other food. In the dead of winter, they will come into the yard and strip all the arborvitaes all the way up to the house.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcsine View Post
Reintroduce natural predators; wolves, cougars, mountain lions, coyotes and accept that they will do a much better job of controlling the population than we ever could.

Then the cattle ranchers will complain...
Old 06-27-2019, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Douglas View Post

Best gopher killer I've used yet. Fought 'em for years in our garden with gopher bombs, water down the holes, etc etc to no avail. Finally bought this pack of gum. Two sticks is all it took. Haven't seen hide nor hair of them since.

My experience with deer is limited to what I dealt with up on the vineyard. A very tall fence is what kept them out.
Scott. I tried the gum thing & it didn't work at all. I also tried the poison bait down the gopher holes. They pushed the bait up on top of the dirt they pushed out of the holes. There are a couple of good comments about deer prevention here.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Monkey+Football

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Icemaster
https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-62100-Activated-Sprinkler-Detection/dp/B009F1R0GC/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=orbit+62100&qid=1561660716&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-3

Solved it for me. I also water my plants using personal reserves from time to time. Neighbors love me.

85 Targa Wong Chip Fabspeed M&K Bilsteins and a bunch of other stuff.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Bought one of these, but haven't had the heart to use it...yet.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfeMacleod View Post
Then the cattle ranchers will complain...
And that is unavoidable.
I've learned one thing over the years and that is regardless of any solution proposed to any problem, someone will complain about something.
Sorry but nature always demands that you are willing to take some bad with the good.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK911 View Post
One pooch is a Rhodesian Ridgeback, so no lion issues either!
I had two of them.

In Africa they also use them to keep the baboons out of the orchards.

They're pretty tough dogs, with great dispositions.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcsine View Post
And that is unavoidable.
I've learned one thing over the years and that is regardless of any solution proposed to any problem, someone will complain about something.
Sorry but nature always demands that you are willing to take some bad with the good.
Correct

We have invaded their territory, offer them up a buffet and then we get upset if they take us up on the offer.

We don't get mad at the house dog of he eats the t bone we place on the floor.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: