Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Suggestion for flag pole lighting

Today I installed a 22 ' tall flag pole . Always wanted one so now finally have one . Need suggestions on solar lights as I really don't want to run an electric line. I want lights on the ground aiming upwards. So I assume spotlights . Are two enough ? Any particular brands or type ? I also see there are solar lights that mount to the pole , any advantage to use those ?
Old 07-15-2019, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
As long as the flag is illuminated by the lights it is ok. I used 12v lighting with halogen bulbs from the ground. it worked great.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
If you are going solar, use 12V LED lighting with a light controlling charge controller.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
FYI: I installed one of these (solar) at the top of both mine and my Mom's. This is the one at my Mom's. Find them on Amazon.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
My other ride is a C-130J

Garage
I’ve got two of the solar light toppers, they are GREAT! They stay illuminated all night.
Previously Owned Art from Stuttgart
2000 Boxster -1983 911 SC Cab -1984 944 N/A
Old 07-15-2019, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I sure hope that light is grounded....else...that flagpole is a goner fer sure !
Old 07-16-2019, 02:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The flag pole I purchased used off CL does not have a threaded topper cap to mount a top mount light . It has a cap that has a right angle " ear " on it and that ear is where the pulley mounts . I suppose I could pull the cap off , drill it and then mount a top mount light onto it . But I would like to not have to go through that if possible . That's why I was thinking ground mounted spot lights aiming upwards .

Now that I have thought a little more about this I may be able to mount a 110 volt spotlight on the house aiming at the flag , I'll have to root around in the attic to see how easy/difficult that might be . I also have two 110 outlets on the front of the house , might be able to do a low voltage setup with spot lights .

Thanks guys
Old 07-16-2019, 02:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Make sure yer house is grounded!

Yer welcome....
Old 07-16-2019, 02:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Yep the house is grounded . The flag pole I purchased I think started life as a galvanized water pipe , it measures about 1 7/8 OD with about 1/4 " wall thickness . It is one solid piece with no seams and is 22 ' long . Someone in the past made a " base " for it using a piece of galvanized pipe about 18 " long that is large enough in ID for the pole to slip into . That 18 " piece of pipe is welded to a metal plate that is bolted to a pointed base similar to what is used for a mail box . It's about 3 ' long and driven into this GA. clay isn't budging The nice thing about this setup is I can easily lift the pipe off the base if I have to replace the pulley or rope . Here's a pic I snapped late yesterday .

Old 07-16-2019, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I don't do green....I figured all houses were grounded ...
Old 07-16-2019, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
The flag pole I purchased used off CL does not have a threaded topper cap to mount a top mount light . It has a cap that has a right angle " ear " on it and that ear is where the pulley mounts . I suppose I could pull the cap off , drill it and then mount a top mount light onto it . But I would like to not have to go through that if possible . That's why I was thinking ground mounted spot lights aiming upwards .

Now that I have thought a little more about this I may be able to mount a 110 volt spotlight on the house aiming at the flag , I'll have to root around in the attic to see how easy/difficult that might be . I also have two 110 outlets on the front of the house , might be able to do a low voltage setup with spot lights .

Thanks guys
Both poles I retrofitted had screw on caps that were frozen so I had to cut those off anyway.

I bought new trucks and also the golden eagle topper you see in the pic along with fresh line.

All purchased on Amazon.

I did also buy a 1/2" x 3" SS bolt and coupler to accommodate the eagle which didn't come with a stud long enough to pass through the solar light and far enough into the truck for fastening.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Old 07-16-2019, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Those top lights look like a UFO ! Red neck knuckle draggers around here would probably shoot it with a shotgun !
Old 07-16-2019, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Just get landscaping lighting designed for up lighting a tree. No offense to Baz but I wouldn't want to look up and see the light. In fact, I work hard to obscure the source of lighting everywhere, inside and out.

There is nothing worse than a centered ceiling light fixture that casts shadows on every wall and makes it dark in front of you when facing the wall. Much better to have lights in all four corners of a room.

A couple of spot lights a few feet from the base of that flag pole would make it look great at night showing the folds in the breeze.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Those top lights look like a UFO ! Red neck knuckle draggers around here would probably shoot it with a shotgun !
They'll be drunk and aiming for the bird !
Old 07-16-2019, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
FYI: I installed one of these (solar) at the top of both mine and my Mom's. This is the one at my Mom's. Find them on Amazon.

We too want to put up a proper flag pole. Our Honda Service Advisor handed me this from his flag pole. Itís just the box so I knew what to look for. Itís nice to see this in action Baz.

Thanks for posting

Currently have a 3í by 5í mounted on our power pole between the main road and the house that has a bright LED street lamp that illuminates it from dusk to dawn. I think we are the only ones that have a street light so not only do we have a residential account, but a commercial one as well. Lol only took 2.5 years for them to initially install it and another 2 to update the vapor light to LED.

Found out some interesting things while doing research on poles and flags made in the U.S.A., I guess there is a U.S.A. In China and Korea. Guess we need to read the fine fine print those sneaky buggers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 911SC Targa
Working Projects: 1968 912

Last edited by bugstrider; 07-16-2019 at 05:06 PM..
Old 07-16-2019, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
-snip-No offense to Baz but I wouldn't want to look up and see the light. In fact, I work hard to obscure the source of lighting everywhere, inside and out. -snip-[/IMG]
No offense taken. I feel the same way you do. The light cast from this is more like that from the moon - very soft. I really like having that type of illumination where my flag pole is located. Kind of like "mood lighting".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugstrider View Post
-snip-I guess there is a U.S.A. In China and Korea. -snip-
Back in the 60's when I was very young I remember my Dad telling my brothers and I that there was a city in Japan called USA and it's purpose was to fool buyers who thought they were buying American. I never researched it - but your post reminded me of that story.

America strong, Bugs!
Old 07-16-2019, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post

Back in the 60's when I was very young I remember my Dad telling my brothers and I that there was a city in Japan called USA and it's purpose was to fool buyers who thought they were buying American. I never researched it - but your post reminded me of that story.

America strong, Bugs!

Now that I opened my yap, I canít find my sources on that nugget on intel.

Hope I am not talking out of my arse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 911SC Targa
Old 07-16-2019, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I run a Hubbell weatherproof spotlight with a different LED bulb inside, powered by a solar triggered outlet. I don't trust solar powered stuff here, the "gaslamp" at the end of the driveway has a solar assembly and it only last half the night.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FN6PCPE
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0166MAMGM

The lamp is in the ground about 6 feet from the pole, I carefully positioned it so it's shielded from the street and doesn't shine on the house at all. 20 foot pole, 4x6 flag.

Oh, for those who want good handmade American flags, there's a shop 2 blocks from me:
https://www.kronbergsflagsandflagpoles.com/

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 07-17-2019, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage

Our local EAA chapter on field has this..

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 08-16-2019 at 01:09 AM..
Old 08-15-2019, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: