Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Higgins View Post
I remember many years ago when your situation in California made news all the way up here in Washington. Apparently, at the time your state laws held the driver of the following vehicle "responsible" in any and all "rear end" collisions.

It was at the point where insurance scammers were diving in and cutting off other drivers on the freeways, locking up their brakes, and causing rear end collisions. There was absolutely no recourse under California law at that time for the following driver who "rear ended" the car in front of them.

The California state legislature reportedly addressed this and changed the law. This was 20-30 years ago, at least.
I believe they did address the issue. People were doing this in wealthy areas like Beverly Hills. I had forgotten about that. Those are special circumstances and it is my belief that the change in the code references that particular scam, but in some broader terms.

However, I don't see someone trying that scam at speed in the HOV lane and then running off. So, this isn't that.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
I believe they did address the issue. People were doing this in wealthy areas like Beverly Hills. I had forgotten about that. Those are special circumstances and it is my belief that the change in the code references that particular scam, but in some broader terms.

However, I don't see someone trying that scam at speed in the HOV lane and then running off. So, this isn't that.
This scam is absolutely run on Interstates at speed.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 08-22-2019, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
This scam is absolutely run on Interstates at speed.
And they drive off? Or did you simply miss my point altogether.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

That's what is so fustrating. He took off. And it wasn't like I barely tapped him.
I hit him soo hard I had rear glass from his dodge avenger in my radiator... The back end of that 5,000$ car is trashed.

why did he run? No insurance... He didn't have another passenger to be in the HOV lane... He knew he would be labeled at fault... Maybe he was scared... who knows?! I will probably never know.

IRR... What IRR!
Old 08-22-2019, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_porschekid View Post
That's what is so fustrating. He took off. And it wasn't like I barely tapped him.
I hit him soo hard I had rear glass from his dodge avenger in my radiator... The back end of that 5,000$ car is trashed.

why did he run? No insurance... He didn't have another passenger to be in the HOV lane... He knew he would be labeled at fault... Maybe he was scared... who knows?! I will probably never know.
Might have been warrants out on him?
Old 08-22-2019, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Good news today. Usaa strong armed his insurance to taking full responsibility... Well prolly didn't have to try that hard.

If I didn't have his plate... Well **** me, right. Btw usaa claims are amazing.

IRR... What IRR!
Old 09-04-2019, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

The fraud maneuver of cutting someone off and throwing in the brakes is called the swoop and squat. It’s often done at highway speeds and usually includes a confederate pacing the target car to pin it in its lane when the other car cuts it off and throws on its brakes. The scam is that the vehicle that cut off the target is filed with passengers, all of whom claim serious injuries. Sometimes the companion car will stop and offer a statement claiming the target car was at fault. But to run the scam the cars need to stop at the scene of the accident and make a police report so they can make a claim against the target car’s insurance. It never involves a hit and run. There are insurance scams that involve hit and run claims, but those claims involve fake accidents and the report of a phantom driver. There’s no need to have an actual accident when the fraudster makes a hit and run claim. Sometimes they use a car that had previous damage repeatedly until someone notices.

There are many reasons why someone who caused an accident would try to run. Anything from having been drinking to just being scared and panicking to running because he didn’t want to get in trouble and thought he could get away with it. It’s hard to tell what was going on in the guy’s mind when he ran.

It’s poetic justice that he left his license plate behind and it’s great news that you were able to track him down and get his insurance company to pay up. Good work.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Good to hear it worked out. Not so lucky here.

Update,

Her accident with the young girl was covered by our insurance, but before we could get the insurance company to look at, she plowed into the back of a non moving car at 60+mph. That car collected a few more cars, and did some damage to the local watering hole. Its a place where they have horse hitching rail or posts, one was taken out. The car she struck was in the road looking for parking we gather.

Bye bye. She has a different car of the same make and model now. It likely saved her life.

Our sons car was a total loss too, all taken care of now. He is in a different car as well.

Be safe!
Old 09-04-2019, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

What!? You need to get her an uber or drive her around! Holy cow!

IRR... What IRR!
Old 09-04-2019, 10:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

It is a dangerous intersection. 60mph limit, bar on the corner at a 4 way signal light. She was passing through at 11:30pm. The whole family has intervened on her time of travel.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdavis11 View Post
It is a dangerous intersection. 60mph limit, bar on the corner at a 4 way signal light. She was passing through at 11:30pm. The whole family has intervened on her time of travel.
Glad she's okay. With that speed the physics aren't in your favor.
Send her to a defensive diving class. I picked up a few things of driving in town that I use as habit today. Slowing when I get to interactions (yes even if the light is green). Looking both ways before going into the intersection from red to green. Honestly that has saved me many many times from red light runners. That and the delay of a standard transmission.

IRR... What IRR!
Old 09-07-2019, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: