Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

hybrid vs EV

My soon to be 16yo daughter will be getting a car sometime soon (thanks dad). I live in a small northcentral WI town where it gets OMG cold in the winter...or at least has historically.

We're considering a used EV (chevy Bolt) but have not yet driven one. We drove a Plug-in hybrid C-max (energi) and I was concerned by the electric range being so short and the ICE cycling on and off constantly once the electric range was used up. That continuous on-off seems like a fundamentally bad idea compunded by the cold. She would use the car 99% of the time around town with occasional ~100 mile round trips to a near by town. I like the idea of not having another ICE to maintain but of course no battery lasts forever.

Thoughts or experiences?

Old 08-06-2019, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

pro's and con's to both:

The EV will suffer in extreme cold that leaves the possibility of her not judging her range and running out. Unfortunately its not a quick trip for dad with a gas can to save her. The reduction in maintenance would be a big plus if she is not near enough for you to do the DIY stuff regularly.

The hybrid doesn't come with as much range but less anxiety at the same time. You'll have to maintain the ICE engine but the pro's are it's there if needed. The engine doesn't cycle on/off once batteries and drained, it simply takes over and powers the car until the batteries are recharged, just like any normal 4 banger does.

With mostly around town usage an the occasional longer trip, I would lean towards the hybrid until the charging network substantially reduces time to charge and expands chargers.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Why not buy a smaller car that gets good fuel mileage (Civic, Corolla, Impreza)? Are you only focused on something 'green"?
Old 08-06-2019, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911boost View Post
Why not buy a smaller car that gets good fuel mileage (Civic, Corolla, Impreza)? Are you only focused on something 'green"?
I'd like her to have something that meets 99% of her needs and saves me 99% of the headaches. I understand it's a tall order but I try to buy right once instead of mediocre repeatedly if possible. That said, I do regularly watch for a low investment low mileage cars.

I also seem to recall the Chevy Volt using an ICE that only charges the battery so that would eliminate a CVT transmission to worry about. Can anyone here speak to that? I'm not sold on CVTs yet.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavulon View Post
My soon to be 16yo daughter will be getting a car sometime soon (thanks dad). I live in a small northcentral WI town where it gets OMG cold in the winter...or at least has historically.

We're considering a used EV (chevy Bolt) but have not yet driven one. We drove a Plug-in hybrid C-max (energi) and I was concerned by the electric range being so short and the ICE cycling on and off constantly once the electric range was used up. That continuous on-off seems like a fundamentally bad idea compunded by the cold. She would use the car 99% of the time around town with occasional ~100 mile round trips to a near by town. I like the idea of not having another ICE to maintain but of course no battery lasts forever.

Thoughts or experiences?
I feel your pain brother! I'm hunting for a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla simply because they last... forever.. Not sure you'll be able to say the same for EV or hybrid. If you're stuck on EV or Hybrid you might as well go with the king of the hybrids, even though they are horrible looking IMO, and get a Prius.

Last edited by cabmando; 08-06-2019 at 11:40 AM..
Old 08-06-2019, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Personally I would never put my young daughter/driver into something as limiting as an EV. New drivers are not equipped to make good judgement calls on range and conditions. Could be a game changer in WI winter right? For your hybrid vs ev poll I would vote for the Chevy Volt or similar (hybrid). But honestly, I would be on 911boost's path, a decent used IC econobox.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Brew Master

Garage
Looking at Consumer Reports the 2018 Bolt has a higher reliability rating than the 2017. Both years rate poorly for comfort.
Ford Cmax 2018 was the best year for reliability, 2017 the worst, with 2015/16 rating about middle of the road for reliability. The 2015 scored the lowest for comfort.

The 2012/2013 Honda Civic hybrid rates very well for reliability but very low for comfort but is a CR "recommended" vehicle.
The 2017 Accord hybrid rates well for reliability and middle of the road for comfort.

If there's anything I can lookup for you, just let me know.

Last edited by cabmando; 08-06-2019 at 12:02 PM..
Old 08-06-2019, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

pavulon, do you have a circuit in your house to recharge her car in a reasonable time (assume EV, not plug-in hybrid)? I put in a 50 amp circuit for future EV use.

I’m leaning towards 911boot’s / JavaBrewer’s recommendation to go with an efficient ICE car, since you live in the great white north. If your daughter is very diligent for a 16yo, then the Bolt might be the ticket. You might need to find out what it’s typical battery range is in the winter.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

I forgot about the Hondas. Thanks cabmando! However, being in a small town is a bit limiting from a "have an import that needs to be fixed" standpoint and possibly similarly so from an EV or hybrid position.

As for range, we're primarily talking about ~10 miles on 99% of days. My detached and heated garage was built in 2003 and has service that will support a kitchen oven. How would I determine the Amp svc? (sorry, I'm not an engineer or electrician)
Old 08-06-2019, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Do you have a 220V outlet?

Old 08-06-2019, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Richards View Post
Do you have a 220V outlet?

Old 08-06-2019, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Why not a sub $7000 used Prius? Get AAA if you're really concerned about breakdowns. Maintenance is pretty easy and light on them.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
take a look at the IIHS safety ratings - YOUR daughter! so that is job 1; if they are high and identical then revisit the EV vs. hybrid question
Old 08-06-2019, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavulon View Post
I forgot about the Hondas. Thanks cabmando! However, being in a small town is a bit limiting from a "have an import that needs to be fixed" standpoint and possibly similarly so from an EV or hybrid position.

As for range, we're primarily talking about ~10 miles on 99% of days. My detached and heated garage was built in 2003 and has service that will support a kitchen oven. How would I determine the Amp svc? (sorry, I'm not an engineer or electrician)
Again, right there with ya man! Part of the reason I've focused on the Civic and Corolla is they just don't seem to have a lot of mechanical issues, at least in the regular gas powered cars.

Another option for your area would be the Subaru Crosstrek hybrid. If that one sparks your interest I can check CR to see how they do as far as reliability.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I have some friends who live in Madison. We were talking last week and they find that using the heater in cold weather dramatically reduced the cars range. This led them to having to stop to warm up and drive with the windows freezing up in order to get to their destination.

I believe their trip was about 100miles. This seems like a significant safety risk that would not happen in a hybrid or ICE car.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

The gas engine in the Prius will run when the heater is on, it has to, so don't worry about the on and off.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

All good input so far fellas!
Old 08-06-2019, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
An advantage of a plug-in where you live is that she can use house current to pre-heat/de-ice the car before she leaves the house. That was one of the things I loved most about my Volt when it had to sit out.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Information Junky

I think that EV's get much higher scores on the SJW virtue signalling scale.

...so there's that.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by island911 View Post
parf...so there's that.
fify

Old 08-06-2019, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: