Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Need recommendation: door closer-cylinder type

I'm tired of the cheap pneumatic door closers you see on screen and storm doors. And I don't particularly like the friction clip used to prop the door open. My customer has one that has a locking ring at the base of the cylinder (I probably installed it within the last 3 years) and it's trash. It gets used 50+ times a day. Looking for the Cadillac of the species.

As a matter of fact, I don't understand the type that has a lever on the cylinder body. We don't see actual storm door closers here, so what is the difference?

I'm trying to avoid the clunky arm type. I know that is a good solution but the customer would prefer not looking at the thing on the exterior and being a screen door, there ins't enough room between the 2 doors to put it on the interior side of the SD. (There might be but I don't want to work that hard to find it.)

Plus I installed a Ryobi arm type for someone else on the house to garage door that gets used constantly and the first one lasted 2 years. I haven't heard back since I replaced that 2 years ago. They might not be much better. Go better than that and you're looking at a commercial (big ass) unit that costs from $50 to 300.

Note: I can't find the model that has that twist ring used as a stay but the models that will stay open at full swing and close with a bump to the door might be the hot ticket. I could use one of those here at the house.

Looking for the Cadillac if not RR.

Last edited by Zeke; 08-21-2019 at 10:54 AM..
Old 08-21-2019, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
I have some that mount on the hinge pin in my office. Very compact, simple to install and work consistently well.
Hinge pin door closer, one for a light door, more than one for a heavy door.

Aristotle

Last edited by Tobra; 08-21-2019 at 12:40 PM..
Old 08-21-2019, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobra View Post
I have some that mount on the hinge pin in my office. Very compact, simple to install and work consistently well.
Hinge pin door closer, one for a light door, more than one for a heavy door.
Cool. I suppose it'll depend upon the door hinges if that works or not. And then there's the similar option where you can replace the hinge and the mechanism is build into the pin axis.

What I really want is something like this that would keep a light interior door open.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 08-21-2019, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Perusing the 'Net, most of what I'm seeing is the same old stuff. Some marked as (and looks like) medium duty or heavy duty. I saw a few things that didn't have the friction lock, but instead had some sort of button as a way to lock the door open, but they still looked like the same old stuff.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 08-21-2019, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I use the Ryobi and Briton brands of door closer.

I set them up, low pressure, so they don't close the door as such, but just stop it from slamming on windy days Or some half wit giving it a mighty slam to make sure it's closed properly.

Some are over 15 years old and going strong.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
Cool. I suppose it'll depend upon the door hinges if that works or not. And then there's the similar option where you can replace the hinge and the mechanism is build into the pin axis.

What I really want is something like this that would keep a light interior door open.
You can adjust the pin closer to open the door. The feature that these don't have damping the closing is what I must have. No one I work for is going to tolerate a slamming door. In addition, screen doors have smaller hinges. It won't work at all.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Bump. Still looking for that elusive part that works well and lasts.

You know what could be really cool is a very, very light duty pull type gas strut. Anyone know of an application for a weak strut? Also called traction springs or tension springs. Small too. I like the idea.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Founder-JT Fan Club

Can you mount a commercial closer at the top of door? They work, and last.....

closer

Old 09-16-2019, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Screen doors are an extra pain for door egress.
They all are lacking a solid push panel or ergonomic bar mechanism at belly height to protect the screen.

Other random thoughts:
-Sliding type? Some might be motion-activated and cadillac.
https://www.screenmobile.com/Our-Products/Motorized-Large-Format-Screens/Motorized-Porch-Screens/Clearview-Motion
-Plastic magnet curtains which will get hazy in two years?
-Auto switch anti-bug fan above?
Old 09-16-2019, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad911 View Post
Can you mount a commercial closer at the top of door? They work, and last.....
From post #1: I'm trying to avoid the clunky arm type. I know that is a good solution but the customer would prefer not looking at the thing on the exterior and being a screen door, there ins't enough room between the 2 doors to put it on the interior side of the SD.

The reality is that the typical arm type is too strong for a SD. In the end the SD will break down.

Last edited by Zeke; 09-17-2019 at 07:01 AM..
Old 09-17-2019, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Founder-JT Fan Club

Sorry Zeke, missed that. I have experience with those, like the energizer bunny, they just keep going.

Anderson/Emco sell a slightly different version, with a pushbutton instead of the friction clip, but I have no firsthand experience with it. Might be worth a shot.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=anderson+storm+door+closers&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImJeDpI3Y5AIVBeXICh3dDAGlEAAYASAA EgLa5fD_BwE&hvadid=243416884206&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9004030&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=3357286885767338830&hvtargid=kwd-382383278066&hydadcr=8141_9884688&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_11rlddge9v_e
Old 09-17-2019, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thanks. I had not seen those even after a LOT of looking around on Az. You know, the search function on Az is strange at times.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I have used the Anderson ones and they seem to work well.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Founder-JT Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Thanks. I had not seen those even after a LOT of looking around on Az. You know, the search function on Az is strange at times.
When I'm not hitting with the right terms I'll do an image search on google, usually leads to an image at Amazon....
Old 09-17-2019, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

PERKO-POWER R102 Concealed Door Closer

I am not sure if that will work with your application but we install amore then a few of these over the years only because the owners and myself do not want to see that big thing on the corner looking like an office.. I just pick up a set of these this morning for a door between garage and home this morning. Not cheap. The R102s works like the old Soss hinges and pulls the door close. Requires a little bit of work. It wouldn't work with those cheap alum screen doors. Try epivot.com. They carry a bunch of different size floor closer for mainly commercial use but it will work fine in residential applications. Mortise a hole in the floor to house the guts. The mech. pulls the door shut. Lots of work but the hardware completely disappears.

Sugatsune makes an incredible piece of hardware and they have a couple door hardware that may work for you. The door must be pushed to a certain degrees for the latch to start working to get the door close. Cheap at approx. 70-80 dollars compare to R102s I mention above. Good luck with your search, Milt
Old 09-17-2019, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: