Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Timber!!!

This was a tree I wouldn’t tackle. My friend has brass balls. This tree was leaning against the adjacent tree for a few years. I was afraid it was going to fall on me when I was under it.
https://youtu.be/HmX3lwvvBkc
Old 09-07-2019, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

And that’s why I got a professional to drop that puppy. That tree was growing out of a drainage ditch and the drop down was almost 6 feet.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Looks like the berm was far enough away to avoid an immediate snap and hit in the face. That said, it isn't good if you do something where your position will become a death zone depending on timing. What if it happens faster than you think and you can't step out of the way fast enough? Also certainly would wear proper PPE, he has nothing. May as well show up in flip flops next time.

I grew up in the woods and there was a dead hobby-lumberjack every year in the greater area of my home town. I have a lot of respect for trees and chainsaws ...

G
Old 09-07-2019, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsinrugs View Post
And that’s why I got a professional to drop that puppy. That tree was growing out of a drainage ditch and the drop down was almost 6 feet.
Professional? No safety gear - no goggles, short sleeve shirt?

'83 SC Targa - since 5/5/2001
'06 911 S Aerokit - from 5/2/2016 to 11/14/2018
Old 09-07-2019, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Monkey+Football

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Icemaster
I'm no pro but I can see about 3-4 things wrong with the approach, least being no helmet system and vest. Call me a pussy but I like my body parts to remain attached. Not trying to be a dick, and granted I can't really see the full picture (lean, location, etc.) so can't say for sure how/where he did the plunge cut and notch or the size of the hinge, but the way he cut the backstrap was sloppy, doing that without some wedges to guide the roll wasn't wise.

He seems to know enough to be dangerous, his balls may clank but his luck is gonna run out.

85 Targa Wong Chip Fabspeed M&K Bilsteins and a bunch of other stuff.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

He has been falling trees for a long time. He does it for a living. And yes, eye protection and hearing protection are not his thing.
No wedges needed as that tree had a very pronounced lean.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
He knows what he's doing. He shaped the cut and then switched at the right time.

Great execution but with a lean like that a 12 year old could have done it.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
Quote:
Over 20 years ago, when I lived on Vancouver Island, I was a ‘professional’. I worked for the biggest tree topping company in the area. I still have my climbing gear and one of my saws.

I got mad watching this idiot you hired after about the 1/2 way mark of your video. His saw is under powered or his chain is dull (or both). I couldn’t figure out the strategy. What was the deal with the old lady in the blue shirt standing where the butt can kick if it hangs up?

There was no professional in that video. I seriously thought this was you doing this for the first time until I read the follow up posts...

No wedge needed... umm hmm.

You always cut a wedge and use the shape of your holding wood to control the spin. Without a wedge, you can’t control the spin as it falls.
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche

Last edited by unclebilly; 09-08-2019 at 12:24 AM..
Old 09-08-2019, 12:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

That guy is an idiot...I ran out of fingers before counting the ways. Not a pro...but 45 yrs of country boy "experience" and still alive. Scary to watch a Darwin dude....
Old 09-08-2019, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

You definitely didn't hire this guy.

'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 09-08-2019, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

so much anxiety taking trees down......hire pros
Old 09-10-2019, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Groucho Marxist

Garage
I am glad that video ended well, it made me apprehensive.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Over 20 years ago, when I lived on Vancouver Island, I was a ‘professional’. I worked for the biggest tree topping company in the area. I still have my climbing gear and one of my saws.

I got mad watching this idiot you hired after about the 1/2 way mark of your video. His saw is under powered or his chain is dull (or both). I couldn’t figure out the strategy. What was the deal with the old lady in the blue shirt standing where the butt can kick if it hangs up?

There was no professional in that video. I seriously thought this was you doing this for the first time until I read the follow up posts...

No wedge needed... umm hmm.

You always cut a wedge and use the shape of your holding wood to control the spin. Without a wedge, you can’t control the spin as it falls.
This.

I wouldn't hire that guy again. Even if he's bonded.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

All I have to say is.....he has cut down and climbed numerous trees at my place. He has been falling trees for over 20 years. He is still alive. Most tree guys in my area don’t wear eye, ear or head protection. Just my observation.
Just another note. From the camera angle one can’t see the extent of the angle that tree was leaning. It was being held up by another tree. Not an easy drop. He plunge cut into it. From experience he said that is how it’s done.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

He's been lucky...and a hack. His chainsaw is dull, tuned like crap, and how many times did he restart it ? Plenty of stoooopid have been crippled or killed because they are...

"My" tree guy (I don't climb), will tell you how quickly yer life can end .
Old 09-11-2019, 03:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

My tree guy is better than your tree guy . na na na na naaaa na
https://www.facebook.com/fred.grosshaupt/videos/733503663379605/?t=13
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 09-11-2019, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Quote:
From the camera angle one can’t see the extent of the angle that tree was leaning. It was being held up by another tree.
Would notching the drop side help get it away from the other tree?

One thing is for certain: You're gonna have firewood.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I always have at least a half dozen big ol' trees to deal with...called "my" tree guy off this week...it's still summer ....just want him to drop one (with me)...takes two for this one .

I wear eye protection, ear plugs, and boots....redneck safe

I do use my 45 yrs experience and brain tho'...

and saws that GROWL....LOL!
Old 09-11-2019, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

The video was like watching grass grow. And I've never understood why chain saw jockeys always finger goose the throttle all the time. Waa...waa...waa,waa,waa...waa..... So fooking irritating. Like listening to an idiot mow and blow artist with his back pack blower.

Lowest common denominator of humanity.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: