Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
weekend wOrrier

What's the difference between a Manifesto and a Mission Statement?

School me.

At work, I was asked to write a "Manifesto"

My Interpretation (and perhaps incorrect interpretation) of the term is as such:

A manifesto is a view to a radically desirable path, such a desirable path, people can, and will die achieving that end, because, the end, so desirable, does justify the means (for the sake of the cause). In my own myopic view, when people adopt manifestos, others historically, can, and have died.
A mission statement, is a more benign in approach. The corporation values "such and such" ideas. Mission statements typically get adopted by business entities, which often get posted, and implemented or forgotten in corporate culture, depending on the corporate dedication to upholding the concept. Often, it is not upheld, therefore becoming impertinent.

Lately, I have noticed, in my own business "culture", the term "mission statement" is becoming passe. The latest buzz on the streets is "manifesto". I 'must' have a manifesto. I have been requested to write "manifesto."

What the heck is going on here?

Everybody has a mission statement. To stay ahead of the game, "Manifestos" are back in vogue?

So-
1. Am I incorrect? Has the term "manifesto" always been a benevolent term, stolen by the Ted K's of time and other unnamed leaders to denote a darker meaning? .. or

2.Are they inherently more sinister? "It is blood which moves the wheels of history!"

3. I believe "Mission statements" are potentially good ideas, yet often get the bad rap secondarily through implementation- such as- company "x" has an admirable mission statement, yet, like the greeting lady at walmart, gets plowed over by the sands of time, apathy, trend, and ineffective implementation.

What gives?

As a Dentist in the 21st century, I cannot believe I have been asked to write a manifesto.

Are these just lame people trying to be edgy?

Am I unnecessarily maligning the term? Or is the corporate culture I am so "evidently" involved in needing to use this term to retain relevance out of desperation?

If it's the latter, I want off of that bus.

Please Advise....

Last edited by LEAKYSEALS951; 09-13-2019 at 05:20 PM..
Old 09-13-2019, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
weekend wOrrier

This is tongue and cheek image I was thinking when I heard the "request" to write such statement

Old 09-13-2019, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
A manifesto is philosophically inspired. It is a general idea of what one hopes to accomplish. No specific goals or actions are suggested. A mission statement is a statement of a specific goal and can include possible ways of reaching the goal.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
weekend wOrrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post
A manifesto is philosophically inspired. It is a general idea of what one hopes to accomplish. No specific goals or actions are suggested. A mission statement is a statement of a specific goal and can include possible ways of reaching the goal.
Interesting, I have always interpreted them (in my own "probably wrong" universe) as the inverse. Thanks.

Last edited by LEAKYSEALS951; 09-13-2019 at 05:26 PM..
Old 09-13-2019, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Also, a Mission Statement is short and to the point. Every employee should know the Mission Statement. A Manifesto starts like a rant and goes on from there.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
Mission vs Manifesto?
Famous vs Infamous
To me Manifesto has a bad connotation.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

weekend wOrrier

I am really looking for input on this. In the 80's high school scene, "manifesto" had ( to me) a negative connotation (this, from a C+ high school student).

My internet google searches are producing a very different result of my interpretation, from what seems to be a younger generation than I (sub 40 y.o.).

And as an FWIW... not only have I contacted the PPOT braintrust on this- I have contacted my high school history teacher. You get your opinions in here now!

Her answer should be in shortly!

Last edited by LEAKYSEALS951; 09-13-2019 at 06:56 PM..
Old 09-13-2019, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
My first thought was that a manifesto was *emotionally* inspired, but i like philosophically as well. A mission statement is mentally inspired.

One is what you WANT while one what you EXPECT.

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 09-13-2019, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAKYSEALS951 View Post
As a Dentist in the 21st century, I cannot believe I have been asked to write a manifesto.
"I want to see the irradiation of cavities because of universal tooth care, I'd love nothing more than to know that my career is obsolete because every person on the planet has healthy strong teeth!"

"I want to implement a neighborhood flossing initiative, with small gifts given to local children who have no new tooth decay after a year."

Old 09-13-2019, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
A manifesto is written by someone in a hoodie and sunglasses, or perhaps camo and a beret.

A mission statement is written by someone in a suit or a uniform.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
weekend wOrrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
"I want to see the irradiation of cavities because of universal tooth care, I'd love nothing more than to know that my career is obsolete because every person on the planet has healthy strong teeth!"
I'd want to eradicate cavities, but irradiating them would be cool too...

Interesting aside- There is always a "cure" for decay right around the corner. When I graduated 20 years ago, there was a cure for decay, that was going to solve it all. Another dental student commented "What to do if there was no decay?"

An instructor commented- "If they found a cure for decay tomorrow, there would be a lifetime of work for dentists... wisdom teeth, orthodontics, Congenitally missing teeth, traumatic injury, cracked teeth, oral pathology, periodontitis".. etc. etc.."

If I never filled another tooth in my life, I would be happier on a number of levels.

Last edited by LEAKYSEALS951; 09-13-2019 at 07:06 PM..
Old 09-13-2019, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

(Although I don't think it can be) Someone might misconstrue a mission statement for a legally-binding contract?
Old 09-13-2019, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAKYSEALS951 View Post
I'd want to eradicate cavities, but irradiating them would be cool too...
The cat, who has all of his teeth, was crawling around in my lap so I was stuck typing with one finger on my non-dominant hand...

But I think that what I was trying to say was heard

Old 09-13-2019, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Mission Statement; What ''we'' wish to provide to you in terms of service and quality.

Manifesto; What ''we'' are willing to do to take your money.

Seriously, I have no idea. Every new generation of professionals needs new buzzwords and terminology to assert themselves in a world full of professionals. Someone has to ''Keep it real.'', and ''Keep it fresh.'' while you ''Do the work.''.

Honestly, there always seem to be people in management who seem to have no idea what they are managing. Buzzwords are an assertion of relevance toward people who really don't need you. We don't really know what you are doing, or how you are doing it, but this is the generalized we want you to do it.

We know the new word is manifesto, and you don't. You can only imagine what else we know.

Seriously good management is when you show up and say we are no longer a company that makes drill bits, we are now in the business of making holes. Come in next week with 5 new ways to make them. Bad management is when you make mission statements and manifestos while you contemplate your rise up the corporate ladder.

Last edited by DanielDudley; 09-14-2019 at 01:30 AM..
Old 09-14-2019, 01:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

They are both B$ ....derived from the synergies of my corporate background experiences. I just work here....write yer own damn BS...'cause I won't ....nope! Jmho....

Oh yeah....I got off that bus

Last edited by KC911; 09-14-2019 at 04:26 AM..
Old 09-14-2019, 01:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
weekend wOrrier

Quote:
The cat, who has all of his teeth, was crawling around in my lap so I was stuck typing with one finger on my non-dominant hand...
.. I figured... But's it's fun to irradiate things too!
Old 09-14-2019, 03:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Both are written by delusional people.

Manifesto authors believe their writings.

Mission statement authors are generally just trying to be impressive to others. How many businesses have grandiose mission statements that nobody can (or cares to) reference or quote? More often than not, they're are a punchline in an inside joke. Pretty absurd.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Regenerated User

Garage
The first thing that comes to mind with regards to a manifesto is Engels and Marx Communist Manifesto. Next is a manifestation, sign of an ailment. Then there's a ship's manifest, like an inventory. And manifest destiny which was God given right for immigrants to settle the West of America.

I'd be tempted to strike in the direction of an anti-sugar platform, the known cause of tooth decay. Or you could cynically give everyone a lollipop sucker as they leave and support big sugar as they are supporting your livelihood.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years

The big difference, in my mind, between the two is length: An effective Mission Statement should be no more than a sentence or two, a manifesto can be of indeterminate length.

Trust me, if "Mission Statement" was in vogue in 1848 Marx and Engels would have issued the Communist Mission Statement as a prologue to the Communist Manifesto, which has four sections.

You were a C+ student in HS and became a dentist?

I'd like to read that manifesto

BTW, a dental office manifesto would be easy, divided into logical sections:

- Your face to the customer: Web presence, greetings on the phone, ease of scheduling, etc.
- Check in experience, the waiting room, transition to care
- Etc.

You get the idea...write/describe the ultimate dental experience in your mind from a patients POV and then try to make it so.

Last edited by Seahawk; 09-14-2019 at 04:49 AM..
Old 09-14-2019, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
Quote:
"I want to implement a neighborhood flossing initiative, with small gifts given to local children who have no new tooth decay after a year."
The UNIFLOSSER!
Old 09-14-2019, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: