Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

what tile saw to get

I am too cheap to pay $20 per ft t install backsplash ($1000, need Porsche parts).
so its time to learn how to do tile.
I am putting in a mosaic backsplash, about 50sqf.
but the wife is already talking about new tile in both bathrooms, floors and showers.
there is also a chance of putting tile in the kitchen.

what size saw should I get.
found a used (pitbull) table top for $50, home depot also has a smll one for $135 but they also have one with a sliding table for $300. that's about as much as I want to spend. the sliding table seems like it would be easier for the mosaic stuff but I really don't have that many cuts to do. also seems easier than sliding along a fense.
I have 2 corners, 2 ends and a bunch of outlets. (now I regret putting in all those outlets for her).

I did see a nice used one with a stand and I sliding table for $250 but a little far away
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 09-16-2019, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have a cheap Skil wetsaw. It did a great job on my massive tile project.
Im not sure about cutting mosaic though. Are those in sheets?

https://www.skil.com/120v-7inch-wet-tile-saw/
Old 09-16-2019, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I bought one from a garage sale a while back (for $25 or so) that is equivalent to the model at HD for around $135. I've used it for a few small projects. If I were faced with several projects - including large tiles (flooring), I'd suggest the sliding table version as it will make cuts more accurate and easier.

'83 SC Targa - since 5/5/2001
'06 911 S Aerokit - from 5/2/2016 to 11/14/2018
Old 09-16-2019, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Founder-JT Fan Club

We have 2 wet saws for the 'business', a sliding table, and a sliding blade.

However, I've done quite a bit at a vacation house with a harbor-freight angle grinder with diamond blade, and a sub $100 wet saw. In many ways, with the larger format tiles common today, the angle grinder and cheap wetsaw are easier. If you use the grinder, just mist the tile with water to keep down the dust.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

What about renting a commercial-grade saw for a day?

So much nicer to use than a "happy homeowner" type saw, and no need to store it for the rare times it's used.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan79brooklyn View Post
I have a cheap Skil wetsaw. It did a great job on my massive tile project.
Im not sure about cutting mosaic though. Are those in sheets?

https://www.skil.com/120v-7inch-wet-tile-saw/
I had a cheaper version of that one, plasplugs or something like that. I also have a angle grinder with diamond blade that dad911 suggested. I have used both on mosaics, back-splash tiles, 4x4 all the way up to 18x18. Admittedly the 18" tiles were not that easy and I would have benefited from a large scale tile saw with sliding table.

Whatever you use make sure to put it on some sort of stand. I have two folding stands with a couple planks of plywood for work surface. Sure beats working on the ground. Wet saws will throw some water, especially the cheap ones. Pick some clothes for tile projects and plan on keeping them only for that purpose. The wife and I have our painter and landscaping clothes in the garage that we use weekly.

Share some pictures of your project!
Old 09-16-2019, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Counterclockwise?

Garage
A good blade is important and that it is a wetsaw.
I don't think it needs to be highend for a couple of jobs.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 09-16-2019, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

We have a IMER rail saw, but we don't too much stone or tile ourselves anymore. Bigger and more money is always better, but in your situation, I would just buy one of those 300 dollar home depot or Rigid saw and be down with it especially if you have a bath project coming your way. Its frustration to not have the right tool and I know most of us are perfectionists here. Rent one?
Old 09-16-2019, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
I've done more than my fair share of tilling but I've never had a dedicated tile saw...
Just a good scratch cutter and a diamond blade for the angle grinder.

I really enjoy the results.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I bought a commercial saw used a few years back.
Used it for cutting my pavers for my patio and sidewalk.
Will use it for some small tile projects at the house this fall.
Wasn't very expensive. I would have paid more for rental on the first section of patio.
I will probably sell it eventually for the same price I paid for it.
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_rufctr View Post
I've done more than my fair share of tilling but I've never had a dedicated tile saw...

Good job there SC. I learned about lippage half way into a project.

I have a fireplace in the middle of a room in which has an in-door chimney up to a vaulted ceiling. I did a groutless ledgestone installation. Most of the tiles were not accurately assembled. I started with a chinese 7" wet saw but could not get accurate cuts with it. So I got a Bosch sliding table 10" saw. Very accurate cuts due to zero play in table. It's better than the DeWalt which is better than the chinese (Lowes, HD).
Old 09-16-2019, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_rufctr View Post

i saw those spacers in lowes today
do you use those for a floor that is uneven.

found a guy here in town that has some used ones and new ones, probably stolen.
going to look at some after work
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 09-16-2019, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Good skills Peter!!!
Old 09-16-2019, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

The spacers makes everything easier. It's a bit fiddly but the levels at the corners are perfect!

Honestly I wouldn't tile without them.

Here's a good video. There's lots of variants but they all work much the same.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Douglas View Post
Good skills Peter!!!
Thanks Bill. My old legs

Old 09-16-2019, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

The HF one with the sliding table and a 10” diamond blade works great.
I think with a coupon I got it for 250 with a blade and tax

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-in-25-hp-tilebrick-saw-69275.html

Used it for pavers and tile. Unbelievable how much easier it was to get good repeatable cuts than the $100 7” skill thing I’d been using.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

I did about 900sqft of ceramic tile (lots of cutting including around toilet flanges) with one like this from HD
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubi-24-in-Practic-Tile-Cutter-24985/202042337

Then years later, we were going to be doing some granite tile, so I got something like this one below from HD. It did a great job of cutting through my granite, and then I loaned it to a friend that did his floor with granite tiles, and then later I did some more tile with it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/QEP-3-4-HP-Wet-Tile-Saw-with-Back-Extension-22750Q/205620430

'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 09-16-2019, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I’ve got an Imer rail saw and an MK sliding table saw. The MK is great for accuracy but won’t work on large format tiles. That’s where the rail saw comes in handy. Plus the MK is way heavy. The Imer not so much.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad911 View Post
We have 2 wet saws for the 'business', a sliding table, and a sliding blade.

However, I've done quite a bit at a vacation house with a harbor-freight angle grinder with diamond blade, and a sub $100 wet saw. In many ways, with the larger format tiles common today, the angle grinder and cheap wetsaw are easier. If you use the grinder, just mist the tile with water to keep down the dust.
LOL, that's me. Under $10 for the HF diamond blade.

That, with a regular old tile scorer-breaker will just about cover everything I've needed to do so far.
But it might take longer and i usually end up with more "sample" pieces.

A few weeks ago I almost broke down and bought this for $65 but got by without it:

Old 09-16-2019, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsinrugs View Post
Iíve got an Imer rail saw and an MK sliding table saw. The MK is great for accuracy but wonít work on large format tiles. Thatís where the rail saw comes in handy. Plus the MK is way heavy. The Imer not so much.
How big is your Imer saw? We have a 10" and its super accurate with larger format tiles (trend today). We bought it because half way through a job, my tile got hit by a car on Sunday so we had to finish the job ourselves.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: