Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Two very different M491s

I have never been a fan of 996s but my friend David's 2002 C4S changes that. What a great car! Beautiful, fast, comfortable. Contrasting to my car that is slowly undergoing a complete restoration, going to paint this spring, but having some fun with it until then, recently removed a good 125 lb+ from the back of the car making the ride height ready for the Paris Dakar. Custom muffler (megaphones masquerading as a muffler) and headers, '75 Mg case 915 that shifts like a Honda (rebuilding the original 915 over the winter) single fixed back bucket in it now with seats going to Tony/Autobahn along with the rest of the interior, dash and door tops already done.

Excellent camera work here. Turn up the volume!

Last edited by Shaun @ Tru6; 10-06-2019 at 06:54 AM..
Old 10-06-2019, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
I like the one with the short guy leaning on it more

Mark Twain
Old 10-06-2019, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Driver, not Mechanic

You guys actually sit on your cars?
Old 10-06-2019, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I will admit to browsing for a C4S of that vintage often.
I would put winters on it and drive the wheels off of it given the opportunity.
I have a big old GMC pickup for when the snow is deeper than the bottom of a C4S.

A bit of a dream right now.
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
You guys actually sit on your cars?
Shaun's M491 has seen "worse" than sitting or leaning on it... of course it was much better from my perspective For example a few months after Dad bought it the parents went out of town to a conference, leaving me at home over a long weekend with the 2 Porsches and a new girlfriend... Always was careful not to leave seeds, stems, smells, stains or other evidence to indicate that someone had been up to shenanigans... No so sure about my older brother, but his shenanigans all involved the 356 ...

Do gotta say that it looks "wrong" to me without the whale tail... or as my grandpa called it, the luggage rack.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hey Steve, LOVE the car and it's in good hands, definitely doing it right! I took the tail off mostly to save the rubber. I drive the car a lot so I don't want it it get damaged.

Rebuilding all 4 calipers over the winter, right rear sticks.

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/1019062-restoring-set-turbo-calipers.html

I may look for a second tail when $ allows and paint it to match. Car does rock with the tail but I also like tailless and it saves 30# over the back end.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Back in the saddle again

Put a whale tail on it versus a tea tray. Since it's a widebody, the whale tail would "fit" and be super cool.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 10-06-2019, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
I swear to the big guy that I hovered my cursor over your images waiting for your names to pop up as on Facebook. Great googly moogly. It's happening and it's too soon.

Love both cars. Pal had a black 2003 C4S and has an 89 930. Driven both but only the 930 a little bit "in anger" and not in the twisties. Just a foot mash on a nice long straight - memorable.

I like red.

Old 10-06-2019, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
That’s a nice pair, there.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I prefer the 3.2 of those two, nice looking car.

Now if the C4S was a 996TT, then it might be different.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

^^^ You know I've driven both this car and an 01 TT. The TT is of course blindlingly fast. Scary fast. But for normal roads, I prefer the C4S. I think that would change with more seat time in the TT. I realized that my response timing is geared toward older, slower cars. More seat time would sharpen response and make the car more enjoyable to drive stupid fast when time and location permit on regular roads.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I felt the TT made for the perfect daily driver. Would eat up the highway miles and was very docile when driven around town. When you wanted to push it, it responded very well.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Did you get the memo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911boost View Post
I felt the TT made for the perfect daily driver. Would eat up the highway miles and was very docile when driven around town. When you wanted to push it, it responded very well.
Agreed. Definitely more on the GT end of the spectrum, hence why itís a great daily driver. While it is very capable I wouldnít really consider it to be a hardcore sports car. Though a suspension swap does wonders.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Zink Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybek View Post
I will admit to browsing for a C4S of that vintage often.
I would put winters on it and drive the wheels off of it given the opportunity.
I have a big old GMC pickup for when the snow is deeper than the bottom of a C4S.

A bit of a dream right now.
This is exactly what I am doing :-)

Great photos. I'm actually surprised to see the C4S doesn't look a ton bigger than the M491 in some of those shots.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911boost View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
Agreed. Definitely more on the GT end of the spectrum, hence why it’s a great daily driver. While it is very capable I wouldn’t really consider it to be a hardcore sports car. Though a suspension swap does wonders.
After driving friend's TT, I said it was the fastest Camry on the planet.

What I like about the C4S is that it feels closer to an air-cooled car than the TT does. Mind you I have limited experience in driving either but just my impression.

Both could eat crackers in bed.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
You'll get tired of that exhaust note. Ask me how I know (one of the first Ben mb911 customers.)
Nope. I helped Ben prototype the muffler for Carreras. It was louder, and a little meaner, than this one. More F1 shriek too. This one I want to go to 3" outlets vs. the 2.5" it has now. I thought 3" would be cartoonish coming out of the bottoms of the bumperettes but in fact 2.5" is a little too small. And 3 would deepen it a little at higher RPM I think. If I could, I would do 2 2.5" for each bumperette but that's a whole new muffler.

Milt, I can sit and listen to the burble for hours. And when I go on my circuit drives a few times a week, all I do is wind it up and down when not going through the proper course.

Ben built me exactly what I wanted, megaphones masquerading as a muffler. Would love to dyno it to see what I'm getting with a custom Sal Carceller chip. Also can't wait to open up the '75 915 this winter to see why it shifts like a Honda and makes the car very quick, much quicker than the 915/72 that came with the car that I will rebuild this winter.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

As the owner of the red car I never really considered a turbo.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhynesrockmtn View Post

Great photos. I'm actually surprised to see the C4S doesn't look a ton bigger than the M491 in some of those shots.

Love your car Jerry! I was surprised about that too and wonder how it would look against a 997. 991s are huge. If I finish the welding on my '73 in 2021, I'll see how they look side by side in aerial view.

Have to say the C4S pulls off Guards Red extremely well. One of the few colors I would consider if I got one.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I can say it was a joy to drive Shaunís car. The air cooled 911ís are cool enough but when Budka-Fied, your talking a whole new level of sensory overload. Well done Shaun. Your an artist.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Regarding the red, I really wanted a silver one. Looked at one right before this one and loved the contrast between the silver body and the red reflector panel. The red was a better car. IMO, itís one of the unique features that makes the 996 4S uniquely special and unfortunately the red body hides it. Being the case, iím still trying to figure out a way to draw more attention to it.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: