Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Non Compos Mentis

If he's the irresponsible type, I'd put him in a small pick-up, so he can have only one passenger.
I had the family's old Chevy Caprice station wagon my freshman year, and it turned into a bus for the dorm.
I behaved, but put a bunch of frat boys in one car, and expect mayhem.

Side note- By the end of the year, I bought my own car so I didn't have to drive a land yacht with phony wood paneling.
Boy, was that 1978 Monte Carlo spiffy!
Old 11-08-2019, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
How about a cheap 500cc street bike?

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Look at the bright side....he had a freakin' ball at LSU this semester ...

...and are you adopting ?

I got my college Scwinn hangin' in the garage....beats walkin'....it's FREE!
Old 11-08-2019, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Patient was telling me her husband bought a 2005 Caddy with 100,000 miles on it for $1800 to be his airport car. Pick up a Cadillac or Buick from a blue hair that is giving up driving. You will have to go with a private party sale.

Veracity challenged is no way to go through life. Whatever solution you come up with needs to involve some pain for the boy. Bicycle is a fine way to get around.

Aristotle
Old 11-08-2019, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaron View Post
^^^ buy him a geo metro.
or 1.4L 52hp, but possibly even worse.

'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 11-08-2019, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
Do you get snow where you are?
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 11-08-2019, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

I'm with Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobra View Post
Patient was telling me her husband bought a 2005 Caddy with 100,000 miles on it for $1800 to be his airport car. Pick up a Cadillac or Buick from a blue hair that is giving up driving. You will have to go with a private party sale.

Veracity challenged is no way to go through life. Whatever solution you come up with needs to involve some pain for the boy. Bicycle is a fine way to get around.
Good tip. I forgot about that, I met a guy that said he goes to retirement communities and care homes to look at the bulletin boards for cars.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 11-08-2019, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instrument 41 View Post
If we weren't getting close to finals, and he lived close to campus, then you can bet I'd only be buying a new pair of shoes. However my wife is tired of playing taxi with a round trip of about 50 miles.
He called me and said it would crank, got there and timing belt broke. Had it towed in, I don't have time, to be repaired. Got call saying that it was the timing belt, but the belt came off because the timing gear broke in half, because the camshaft seized due to no oil. I am still pissed over that and now having to do this crap. So venting is all I can do at this point and finish the task at hand. Normally i like looking at cars for deals and that sort of thing, but this situation put "looking at cars" isreally loathsome.
You guys don't have buses in Louisiana?
Old 11-08-2019, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims5543 View Post
Good tip. I forgot about that, I met a guy that said he goes to retirement communities and care homes to look at the bulletin boards for cars.
Some of their newsletters on online. Great way to pick up a land yacht or even an older Merc sedan. But the car of choice here is a well set up 944.

Honestly, for a young fellow that can't even keep the fluids up, an engine change is way over the top AFA interest goes. Time is money, throw the thing away. Any Toyota that uses enough oil to go dry before the need for an oil change was a junker anyway. A money pit that hadn't opened up yet. Be glad it's gone.

Low priced used cars are always a buyer's market. You probably have an idea of what kind of people come around to look — no money, super low ballers looking to flip that day, folks that are looking for a 3K car with 10K on the clock. All major time waisters.

You show up with 100 dollar bills and if you like the car you pull them out and hand the frustrated seller just over half what he asks and you say, "Look, I'm here, I have the money and it can be all over in a minute. What do you say? Its for my kid, he goes to university."

And hold tight for at least 15 minutes before making your next move which is to get out a couple more Benjamin's (10 twenty dollar bills look fat too) or politely leave saying sorry couldn't make a deal. Leave your number.

Two more sketchy deadbeats looking and the seller will call. Oh, and play that card. "It really is for my son, he goes to such and such university."

You know what the problem is with a $3000 car for a kid? It costs $3000/yr to insure it.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Evil Genius

Garage
Quote:
So my youngest, who doesn't know a wrench from a screwdriver, burned up the engine in a decent Camry. i was on him about the oil, and he lied up one side and down the other..

no offense, But what was your question again.?

You Sir, are an enabler.

they are in college.
they are young adults.

Are you going to buy them another car 3-5-10 years from now>

Or are you now the Oil Nanny Baby-sitter?

Me:

as a teen, I keep losing my Dads tools.

He bought me my own set. "it's all on you now"

of course I whined and sniffled , but it was ON ME and my responsibility.

Parents will always be there in need of an emergency, maybe this is tough love and "dude, you lied lied lied to me about your oil. You are a dipstick, for not checking the dip stick?"

"Well Dad, it had oil in it when I bought it....."

IMHO I may be wrong.

Wag more, bark less.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Tough crowd!
Old 11-08-2019, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
You know what the problem is with a $3000 car for a kid? It costs $3000/yr to insure it.
Dang, that brings back memories when I went around getting my DL, registering the 944 I'd bought, and paying my newly acquired insurance bill all on the same day.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Quote:
If we weren't getting close to finals, and he lived close to campus, then you can bet I'd only be buying a new pair of shoes. However my wife is tired of playing taxi with a round trip of about 50 miles.
He called me and said it would crank, got there and timing belt broke. Had it towed in, I don't have time, to be repaired. Got call saying that it was the timing belt, but the belt came off because the timing gear broke in half, because the camshaft seized due to no oil. I am still pissed over that and now having to do this crap. So venting is all I can do at this point and finish the task at hand. Normally i like looking at cars for deals and that sort of thing, but this situation put "looking at cars" isreally loathsome.
What is meant by no oil?

No oil at the camshaft, or not enough oil in the oil pan?
Old 11-08-2019, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantilla View Post
If he's the irresponsible type, I'd put him in a small pick-up, so he can have only one passenger.!
^^^ Get him a 4 cylinder/stick S10 pickup. They will disapear from rust but live forever with minimal maintenance.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Old 11-08-2019, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

How old is he?
Old 11-08-2019, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Bus pass is not a bad idea, or Uber

Aristotle
Old 11-08-2019, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Are you sure the mechanic is not pulling a fast one? From what I have seen in the past the pistons will seize and stall the engine, I would expect rod bearings to go long before the cam got stuck?

I will say that I have no experience with that engine, but seems strange.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Luxo barge within budget:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/yorba-linda-1999-cadillac-deville-de/7015451319.html
Old 11-08-2019, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Ok guys, finally found something. But to answer questions. No we don;t have public transportation were we live. Its south Louisiana, no sneaux, He doesn't live on campus. Yes it may seem like I'm enabling, but for the sake of not spelling out the details, I am not enabling. He is 22 but going on 14. The comment on insurance is spot on, so I put it my name .So, found a 2005 G35 Infinity, 140K on the clock, interior is in great shape, paint might can be helped with a good cut and buff. Mechanically its great. the V6 auto rwd combo is solid. No leaks, creaks, rattles, everything works. Asking 5200 picked it up for 0004. New tires. SO we are now done. Did find it on a lot but it was one of those best quality turds in a sea of "other" turds. Actually, I took the 2001 Camry his older brother is driving gave it to numb nuts, and bought this for my other son. One more year to get his M.E., interning with a manufacture and has a 3.6 and also works part time.
The journey has re affirmed my attitude toward low level car salesman.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: