Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Finding a decent used car for a kid

So my youngest, who doesn't know a wrench from a screwdriver, burned up the engine in a decent Camry. i was on him about the oil, and he lied up one side and down the other. So in the market for a 3K student car. They are NO WHERE to be found that doesn't come with a host of issues. The days of a 3K car, that are acceptable, are over.
Having 3 boys in LSU is expensive. And don't get me started about the caliber of salesperson you have to deal with on this level of car.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Craigslist is about the only option.

But burning up a Camry engine, which are basically the most reliable cars ever built? My kid would be saving up money to buy his own car after that if he didn't want to ride the bus. Got to learn responsibility some day.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instrument 41 View Post
So my youngest, who doesn't know a wrench from a screwdriver, burned up the engine in a decent Camry. i was on him about the oil, and he lied up one side and down the other. So in the market for a 3K student car. They are NO WHERE to be found that doesn't come with a host of issues. The days of a 3K car, that are acceptable, are over.
Having 3 boys in LSU is expensive. And don't get me started about the caliber of salesperson you have to deal with on this level of car.
It's tough, and you have to look at a lot of turds before you find a shiny turd that doesn't smell too bad. Looking at dealers for that sort of thing is not the way to go. You're going to have to go with a private party purchase, I suspect.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 11-08-2019, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

My daughter spent her own money on her first car.
She still has it, loves it, takes very good care of it.

Gotta have skin in the game.....
Old 11-08-2019, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosurfer1 View Post
But burning up a Camry engine, which are basically the most reliable cars ever built? My kid would be saving up money to buy his own car after that if he didn't want to ride the bus. Got to learn responsibility some day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantilla View Post
My daughter spent her own money on her first car.
She still has it, loves it, takes very good care of it.

Gotta have skin in the game.....
All true.

And he lied. That was and is the one rule: Tell me the truth we can work it, lie to me you are on your own.

Buy your own f'ing car, Sparky...enjoy LSU without a ride unless he gets a job and pays you monthly.

Last edited by Seahawk; 11-08-2019 at 08:53 AM..
Old 11-08-2019, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If we weren't getting close to finals, and he lived close to campus, then you can bet I'd only be buying a new pair of shoes. However my wife is tired of playing taxi with a round trip of about 50 miles.
He called me and said it would crank, got there and timing belt broke. Had it towed in, I don't have time, to be repaired. Got call saying that it was the timing belt, but the belt came off because the timing gear broke in half, because the camshaft seized due to no oil. I am still pissed over that and now having to do this crap. So venting is all I can do at this point and finish the task at hand. Normally i like looking at cars for deals and that sort of thing, but this situation put "looking at cars" isreally loathsome.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Reelin' In The Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instrument 41 View Post
If we weren't getting close to finals, and he lived close to campus, then you can bet I'd only be buying a new pair of shoes. However my wife is tired of playing taxi with a round trip of about 50 miles.
He called me and said it would crank, got there and timing belt broke. Had it towed in, I don't have time, to be repaired. Got call saying that it was the timing belt, but the belt came off because the timing gear broke in half, because the camshaft seized due to no oil. I am still pissed over that and now having to do this crap. So venting is all I can do at this point and finish the task at hand. Normally i like looking at cars for deals and that sort of thing, but this situation put "looking at cars" isreally loathsome.
I get it. But this has got to impact him in a meaningful, painful way.

Me? He would be taking next semester off at LSU, get a job and buy his own car from me. No muss, no fuss. He can lie to his friends about why he is home.

He lied. He can catch up at LSU next year. Frankly, I'd have him looking at student loans. YMMV and I get the angst.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
And he lied. That was and is the one rule: Tell me the truth we can work it, lie to me you are on your own.
This^

I no longer need any employees, but when I hired someone, my very first day welcome talk included a strong admonishment:
The fastest way to get fired is to lie to me.
About anything. No matter how small. Lie to me once, and you're gone.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
Lots of used Toyota engines out there.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 11-08-2019, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
What?!?!

Garage
Don't waste your time at car lots for a 3k car. You'll get worked over like a rented mule.
CL or on a street corner are you smartest bet.

And Paul is right, it's gotta hurt.

My son didn't want to play by my rules, so he bought his first car for $600. Needed a clutch, I helped him install it...after he bought the kit.
Then he blew the engine running it low on oil. I had a spare engine I was keeping for future use, he asked if he could have it for his car.
Sure thing...for $300...before we install it.

That turned into one of our most fun days wrenching on cars.

Last thing, don't let the situation tell you what to do, tell the situation what you'll do.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

I would look at cars no one wants.

For example.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Chrysler-PT-Cruiser-Baton-Rouge-d179_L13620#listing=251778222
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 11-08-2019, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

^^^ buy him a geo metro.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 Rod View Post
Lots of used Toyota engines out there.
This. Let him rent until the new, used engine is replaced.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaron View Post
^^^ buy him a geo metro.
That is too painful
Old 11-08-2019, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

I am sure there are old Minivans out there for sub 3K as well.

I mean if you have to buy him another car, have some fun with it.

Bonus points if you find an old pink Avon car.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 11-08-2019, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims5543 View Post
Bingo! Only I would suggest a used Luxobarge. Crown Vic, Caddy, Lincoln town car, Buick...a car only old folks drive new. Might have parking lot dings, but your odds of it having been beat on are low. Odds of it having been dealership serviced are high.
Bullet proof driveline too. Easy to find a low miles one on your $3K budget.

Oh, he'll hate it...his peers will laugh. Tough she-yet...let that be part of the lesson.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Instrument 41 I feel your pain as a dad. Makes me appreciate my kids all the more.
Here is an example of what is around out here in California if you want to put him on a bus after his finals are over.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/buena-park-2002-honda-civic-lx-1-owner/7015708853.html

When it came to getting a car for my son to use at school, I made certain he understood, in no uncertain terms, that it was the last car I'd be providing for him.

I don't know why it pisses me off so much when I hear or read about kids not caring about transportation provided by hard working parents. Do they think cars just grow on trees?
Old 11-08-2019, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s View Post
Bingo! Only I would suggest a used Luxobarge. Crown Vic, Caddy, Lincoln town car, Buick...a car only old folks drive new. Might have parking lot dings, but your odds of it having been beat on are low. Odds of it having been dealership serviced are high.
Bullet proof driveline too. Easy to find a low miles one on your $3K budget.

Oh, he'll hate it...his peers will laugh. Tough she-yet...let that be part of the lesson.
Only problem with that is I'm almost certain 'Dad' is picking up the gas bill for that 50 mile round trip to/from school.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
This guy says delivery is possible....

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/trabuco-canyon-toyota-camry-le-1998-new/7015422287.html

Car doesn't sound too bad either.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Douglas View Post
Only problem with that is I'm almost certain 'Dad' is picking up the gas bill for that 50 mile round trip to/from school.
Depends on how often that commute. Then calculate the MPG diff between a 20-25 mpg luxobarge (yes, they do that well) and an econobx...and you might discover that the more gas cost is more than offset by the luxobarge reliability.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: