Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Used Cayenne experts?

The other thread I started about the one on BaT got me wanting more info on these beasts. I know there is a lot of ownership experience here plus some pro mechanics, what can you guys tell me about years/models to avoid/seek out, mechanical pitfalls, etc.?

I know that they are awesome drivers and owners love them. I know that they drink fuel like there is no tomorrow. Just wondering if significant changes happened other than the total redesign of 2011?

TIA.

Old 12-20-2019, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Can't offer much on the changes but will comment on the fact that my '15 Diesel gets amazing gas mileage, at least compared to my previous X5 diesel. I absolutely love it, great daily driver, tow and road trip vehicle. I got a CPO with extended warranty for 8 years or 100K miles because of dieselgate. Looking forward to many more miles covered under warranty but haven't had any issues at all so far.
'98 Jeep Wrangler
Old 12-20-2019, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I am not a pepper wagon expert but have been toying with the idea of adding one to the fleet . In my research via the net the V6 models have less engine issues than their V8 cousins . I think it was 2008 or 2009 when the V6 went to 3.6 litres , if you can find a clean one I would recommend it . Like any used Porsche get the cleanest and with the best records you can . I am not 100 % sure but I don't think any of the V6 models suffered from the " coolant pipe " issues .

If you are going to do a lot of towing or you carry four passengers on a regular basis then maybe the V8 is a better option . I have been told by a local Porsche guru that the V8's suffer from bore scoring but it's kind of like the IMS......... hit or miss . Same expert said the bottom ends are bullet proof .
Old 12-20-2019, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
cycling has-been

Owned a 2006 base model; don't be afraid of the 6 cylinder.
I accumulated over 40,000 miles towing my 85 Carrera track-car on a steel open trailer, and never felt it was going to run out of guts.
Just don't go looking for any trophies in the stop-light drags.
Bill K
Old 12-20-2019, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
credulous Boomer rube

2015/2016 S models are most excellent...
Old 12-20-2019, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I just paid again to have the seat recliner motor replaced, died the same as the last one. Not for the weak at heart. Also I need another instrument cluster because the turn signal speaker is out again. Might just live with that one since it's a bigger headache to get it replaced.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 12-20-2019, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Mine has been the typical German Car ownership experience. Its been good, but I have had a few whoppers . The steering lock went out. huge money to fix the right way. One guy in the country repairs them, and I had to wait about 6 weeks .
The tailgate locked itself shut . It honestly , took me a few days to get it back open. I had to resort to violence . Easy fix once it was open. The damn auto closer closed, and locked on tight, never to be released again .
My coolant pipes were done before my ownership, and so was the prop shaft bearing .
I've had a few check engine lights, . My accelerator pedal sensor went out, I have had to replace both headlight ballasts now. Some vacuum leaks, and a catalytic convertor.
Thing goes like stink. Not much can pass it . It gets horrible gas mileage, and its not easy on tires . Driver door sags a bit .
2004 turbo 125,000 miles .
It was my wifes daily in and out of the city for 2 years. I kind of took it back over , and it has grown on me .
Not BMW unreliable, but not Honda reliable either .
Overall, not that bad to work on . Lots of info online
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 12-20-2019, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfredracing View Post
Mine has been the typical German Car ownership experience. Its been good, but I have had a few whoppers . The steering lock went out. huge money to fix the right way. One guy in the country repairs them, and I had to wait about 6 weeks .
The tailgate locked itself shut . It honestly , took me a few days to get it back open. I had to resort to violence . Easy fix once it was open. The damn auto closer closed, and locked on tight, never to be released again .
My coolant pipes were done before my ownership, and so was the prop shaft bearing .
I've had a few check engine lights, . My accelerator pedal sensor went out, I have had to replace both headlight ballasts now. Some vacuum leaks, and a catalytic convertor.
Thing goes like stink. Not much can pass it . It gets horrible gas mileage, and its not easy on tires . Driver door sags a bit .
2004 turbo 125,000 miles .
It was my wifes daily in and out of the city for 2 years. I kind of took it back over , and it has grown on me .
Not BMW unreliable, but not Honda reliable either .
Overall, not that bad to work on . Lots of info online
Forgot, we had the tailgate problem too. Oh and the center bearing twice.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 12-20-2019, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
my parents have an 2011base v6 with now about 70k miles on it that my mom drives. she loves it, my pops hates it. wants to do brakes on it and it requires a special torx type bit for the job that to this point has dissuaded him. 4-5 other nagging issues that drive him crazy such as the AC now works only in manual mode (climate zones are out), constantly getting a low coolant error message in error as the reservoir is topped off, wheel finish is chipping off and a few other things that escape me at this point.

not many indy Porsche shops will touch them so the stealership is the only option for such repairs and they are expensive as im sure you all are aware. pops wants to get rid of it and get her something new (not another pepper wagon) with a warrantee and absent of the nagging issues they've been experiencing the last couple years. im not aware of what years to look out for, but pops (and I) believe it will start to cost stupid money to keep it right moving forward.

like I said, my mom loves it, so pops is in an unenviable position and would not buy another one.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
On my 4th used Cayenne. Upgraded my S to a turbo for the turning lights. My S had air suspension (an option on the S). The turbo was great but got totalled. Got another turbo and it got totalled within a month of getting it. Went back to an S titanium edition. It has the turning lights, but not the air suspension. Rides a comparitively rougher without air suspension and the titanium is a little sportier.

Replaced just the turn signal speaker on my first S. No biggy. Also replaced the water pump and valve cover gaskets. New brake booster on the first turbo. Neither was what I would consider expensive, under $500. Otherwise no issues.

The current Titanium had a 4wd system fault light. But a low battery. Replacing the battery fixed fwd light.
Really like the silvery/white gage faces.

The two turbos and the titanium were/are 2006 with just over 120,000 miles.

Last edited by RKDinOKC; 12-20-2019 at 04:27 PM..
Old 12-20-2019, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Thanks for all the replies so far. What on earth is a "turn signal speaker?"

Also, what is the coolant pipe problem again? Do they crack or leak under the intake manifold? Big job to fix? Thanks again.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
There is a speaker mounted to the gauge cluster for the turn signal clicks and other buzzers, bells, and notification noises.

Coolant pipes are plastic and crack/leak. Not that big of a deal except all the other stuff the leaking coolant messes up that is in the cam valley. They are replaced with metal pipes.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Nice guy eddie

Garage
Are the coolant pipes still an issue on the newer ones, (2011+)?
Old 12-20-2019, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Coolant pipes were upgraded on the first facelift on 2009. The kit in the early models isn’t a ton of money but you have to pull the intake. Supposedly not a bad DIY job.

I owned a 2009 GTS, drove a 2012 S, and a 2006 base model. The PASM air suspension is generally reliable by air suspension standards and offers fantastic handling, body control, and comfort, I would highly recommend it. Fortunately many S and all of the Turbo and GTS models have it. The sport seats are way better than the standard seats, standard on the GTS. Sport exhaust is a must have option, again standard on the GTS and optional on the others. Finally Sport Chrono is a nice option, really wakes up the responsiveness. Again standard on the GTS and optional on the others. Notice a trend?

If I were to get another it would be a GTS. The base model with a V6 was an absolute dog in my book, totally underwhelming. The newer S was competent but honestly boring, and it didn’t have a meaningful sporting feel. Just a good luxury SUV. The GTS is the best driving SUV that money can buy IMHO. Drives like a sports sedan, and comes with all of the good options standard. One note is that the interiors get progressively better with each generation, which is the biggest reason I would spring for something newer than my old 2009. While I would still personally prefer a sports sedan (hence my E63), the GTS is fantastic for an SUV.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Driver, not Mechanic

2011 V8 3rd owner... other than an annoying leak on the floor due to clogged drain (which I had cleaned 6 months ago), has been trouble free as my DD. Granted I did see a few things in the service history that were fixed under warranty, and I guess that’s the important piece for me. POs took really good care of it.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I bought a CPO 2011 turbo in 2015 for from a Porsche dealer for half the window sticker. Within the first few months it died on me twice. It started after several minutes but it’s scary driving along and having the engine just die! The dealer replaced the high pressure fuel pump the first time then it did it again. Then they replaced the low pressure fuel pump and the fuel control box and that fixed it. A tail light went out that was covered by the warranty. Just before the 2 year warranty ran out I had the dealer give it a once over and they replaced the transfer case.

When the warranty expired Porsche had not yet recalled it for the camshaft adjuster bolts but I rolled the dice. About a month later the recall came out and I had the bolts replaced.

I’ve replaced brake pads, air filters, a battery, and done oil changes myself with a durametric to reset the computer. I’ve also cleaned the sunroof drains. The horns were barely working so I replaced them with hella horns which required removing the front bumper. I recently changed the transfer case fluid since it’s a known weak spot.

I had an air bag light come on that I couldn’t reset but it went away after a few days.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

We are on our second Cayenne Turbo. First was an 05. We had it 6 years and ran it up to 225,000kms (140K miles). Great vehicle. Replaced a driveshaft bearing and then around 100k miles replaced the suspension bushings. We sold it 4 years ago and we still service it at our shop.

Current one is a 2011 Turbo, we have had it for 4 years and it has about 120,000kms (75K miles). It gets about 50% better mileage than the 05 did. Far better interior layout, amazing seats, is lighter and handles significantly better. Have had no real issues with it. Brakes for this model are expensive though. We have an ecu tune in it and cat delete pipes. It is ridiculously fast. Can break traction with a roll on in second gear. Wife has a heavy right foot so the power gets used.

That said, as much as I love this vehicle, we would probably have a tuned Macan Turbo if we did not have our 2 boxers.

We service quite a few Cayennes from across the model years. The 2011 onward 958 ones certainly seem to have fewer gremlin type issues than what we have seen on the earlier 955 models.

I get asked all the time what I think of it. I tell people that of the 35 or so Porsches I have owned , it is in my top 5 favorites for sure. And those who know me know I am a sports car/race car junkie...

Cheers
997 S 4.0, Boxster 2.7 Race Car, Cayman S 3.8, 958 Cayenne TT, VW GTI 2.1 TSI, Mini Cooper S JCW, Cannondale Supersix EVO SRAM RED E-tap, Cannondale Slice SRAM RED E-tap, Giant Roam Hardtail- to ride with the wife.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Everyone is mentioning the poor gas mileage. And yes it eats brake pads and tires on the 955 first years especially but the reason is this is a VERY heavy vehicle.
Every car now has 5 star crash ratings but nobody talks about the physics of a light car vs a heavy car (think of a cats cradle). I'm very happy with a heavy Cayenne so when a texter/drunk hits me or my family we will have every advantage. Yet the turbo engine can move it very nicely. I'll pay for the fuel and brake pads.
My 04 is at 99k miles and one of the cheapest cars I've owned (do work myself). It's amazing what you can get for the money now.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

You won’t find anything similar with better MPG. That just comes with the territory.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have a 2006 Cayenne TT. I bought it CPO about 6 years ago. Despite being 13 years old, it still hauls the mail.

RKD, OneWhippedPuppy, and David summed up the issues of different years/models.

For reference:

955: 2003 - 2006 models
- oldest, cheapest, and least attractive exterior styling
- identical interior to the later 957s
- very capable vehicle with H/L transfer case and 7500lbs towing capacity

957: 2008 - 2010 models
- essentially the same car as the 955, with a facelift
- handsome styling, better (bigger) brakes
- some risk of bore scoring on the 2008/2009 V8s which is a big bummer
- direct fuel injection gets better fuel mileage

958: 2011 - 2018 models
- newer, more jelly bean body style
- weighs 500lbs less than 955/7s
- better fuel economy, faster performance and better handling
- more modern interior
- lacks H/L transfer case (but honestly, no one ever used it)
- Additional performance options like active suspension and torque vectoring
- Diesel engine option

In my opinion, the Turbo is almost always your best used value/choice, unless you're really focused on lowest purchase cost and/or best fuel mileage. The turbos have enormous power and are usually spec'd with (most) all the options including air suspension, which is also a must. The Cayenne air suspension is one of the best - - sporty and comfortable, even without active suspension.

My personal opinion is that they all require regular and proactive maintenance - - in my experience, that works out to about 15-25 cents per mile (excluding fuel) for DIY maintenance depending on highway /city and driving style. As mentioned above, they eat tires, brakes, and gasoline. I get about 10mpg, and ~15k miles on a set of tires. But the smiles are worth it.

I would never recommend one to someone that does not do their own wrenching. Dealer costs for maintenance on the Cayenne would be a total nightmare - - easily 3x my estimate above. Cheap (<$200) Porsche-specific scan tools can diagnose/reset most everything on the car, and the DIY community/forum support (RennList) is very good.

Each model has some bug-a-boo repair that costs several thousand to fix, but it's usually a once and done (or a once every 100k miles) issue. The only heartbreaker issue is bore scored V8s in the 2006-2009 manufacturing window - - Google that before you buy one. A Cayenne with a blown engine is a most likely a part out car.

The Turbo S and the GTS models carry a collectible premium. Not worth it in my opinion as the "regular" turbo is not much different than the "Turbo S" levels of performance and clearly exceeds the GTS (although the GTS does often have slightly better styling and did come with a 6 speed manual option which is coveted by some).

Good luck!

Old 12-22-2019, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: