Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Brew Master

Garage
Bought a Dewalt battery powered 1/2" impact

And I'm impressed! I snagged a Dewalt DFC899B brushless 18v max 1/2 impact just to see how they work. I also bought a two pack of 5 a.h batteries with a charger (it was actually cheaper that way than buying as a kit with 2 batteries and charger). I had a chance to use it yesterday and I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. I had to take tires off of a Case SV250 and put on another set. The impact had no problem breaking loose the lug nuts. I like that I can just carry this from building to building rather than having to worry about having air available to run an air impact. I think I might buy some of those torque extensions and see how they work with this thing.

A plus for this purchase is that the 5 a.h. battery really woke up my Dewalt circular saw which I always felt was lacking in power. Might have to snag a few more of the 5 a.h batteries.

Old 01-08-2020, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
I have one of those. Bought it maybe 3 years ago. I have never once pulled out my IR air impact since. Not once.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I've been thinking about these... I'm in the process of setting up my garage, and am trying to decide whether to even bother setting it up for air tools at all, other than for inflating tires and blowing dust & debris.
'00 4Runner / '85 LeCar / '88 Iltis
+ a whole bunch of boats
Old 01-08-2020, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I see you

I've been using DeWalt corded for awhile now due to my disappointment in cordless performance. Looks like I need to revisit those tools.

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 01-08-2020, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The Rigid unit I have is killer. Has mostly obsoleted air tools. Keep it in the car with a deep well for roadside tire change...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 01-08-2020, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
My friends call me, Top

Garage
Thank you for supporting Milwaukee tools !

'87 924S
'71 440 Charger R/T
Old 01-08-2020, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I have an old electric, 110 volt impact that was give to me. I almost never use it. I do have my air impact that requires firing up the noisy compressor.

I may get one of the 18 volt impacts mostly because I have a 18 volt hammer drill - driver that I use a lot. Three impact wrenches make perfect sense for a home mechanic that only works on his own two old cars. Yea, I need one more!
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 01-08-2020, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The only drawback is their size . I still love my old IR 2131 for motor, transmission, and suspension work where size, and weight matters .
But for blasting off wheels, and general stuff around the shop, the new cordless stuff is amazing
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 01-08-2020, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Semirelated: This is one of my favorite tools I have bought in the last few years. Use it all the time in the garage and in the house. It is so handy for small cleanups.

The new gen of 1/2 E impacts are amazing I hear, but too big for most things I do. Even the HF earthquake was tested over 500ftlbs.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbutt View Post
I've been using DeWalt corded for awhile now due to my disappointment in cordless performance. Looks like I need to revisit those tools.
You should.

I am all electric for routine chores, including fence mending (circular saws, nail guns), blowers, drill, impacts, screw guns, grease guns (the best!), etc. I'll never go back.

I have extra batteries and I charge the whole battery posse the day before. The only chore I can't see battery tools doing is chain sawing.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I bought that Earthquake XT at H.F. not too long ago. For my purposes, it seems to work great. I have yet to try it on my F350 for rotating the tires.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
You should.

I am all electric for routine chores, including fence mending (circular saws, nail guns), blowers, drill, impacts, screw guns, grease guns (the best!), etc. I'll never go back.

I have extra batteries and I charge the whole battery posse the day before. The only chore I can't see battery tools doing is chain sawing.
as it so happens...

Stihl has a cordless electric chainsaw and it works pretty good for limbing & smaller chores

I decided to buy the very cheapest cordless electric chainsaw I could find (Black & Decker - I know crummy junk) but it works and I don't own a farm either (if your grandpa owned a farm you lear not to own one real quick).

I was able to cut right thru a 20" dia. Douglas Fir root with no problem and it had plenty of battery capacity left over.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Bland

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post

Semirelated: This is one of my favorite tools I have bought in the last few years. Use it all the time in the garage and in the house. It is so handy for small cleanups.

The new gen of 1/2 E impacts are amazing I hear, but too big for most things I do. Even the HF earthquake was tested over 500ftlbs.
I like that thing - rubber hose, wet & dry but $220.

Maybe we need a cordless hand vac thread?
Old 01-08-2020, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

less than 100$ on amazon if you already have the dewalt batteries. It sucks down the 2.5Ah ones pretty quickly though, the 5Ah work much better
Old 01-08-2020, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbutt View Post
You should. I wasn't sure how well I'd like it but when it took those lug nuts off without so much as grunting I was impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
Thank you for supporting Milwaukee tools !
My last cordless set was Milwaukee. Like the tools but the price of the Dewalt kit I bought was too good to pass up. I've owned Makita as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
I have an old electric, 110 volt impact that was give to me. I almost never use it. I do have my air impact that requires firing up the noisy compressor.

I may get one of the 18 volt impacts mostly because I have a 18 volt hammer drill - driver that I use a lot. Three impact wrenches make perfect sense for a home mechanic that only works on his own two old cars. Yea, I need one more!
Look into them. I was really impressed. I checked my battery today and after 32 lugs off and on, still had a full charge!

BTW, I said 18v up top but it's a 20v Max. My bad on that.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Iíve gone all Dewalt 20v tools this year: circular saw, oscillating tool, blower, fan, jig saw, 3/8 impact, 1/2 impact, drill, hammer drill, sawz all, flashlight, etc.

A new 7-1/4 20V circular saw came in today to replace the old 18V model. It weighs half as much it seems.

I have six 5Ah batteries and 3 chargers to keep everything running.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Dewault makes good stuff.
I bought this set about 10 years ago. They're small but damn that makes them handy. No regrets and I'm still using the original batteries.
Even at 10.8v they work fine. The impact driver works really well and the batteries have lots of life left in them.

I've been considering a bigger one like the OP but I can't justify the cost right now.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
The only chore I can't see battery tools doing is chain sawing.
Got my wife a Stihl battery-powered chain saw so she could limb branches when I take down a tree.
Thought she would use it for a few minutes until the battery drains, then go inside and sip coffee.

The little bugger has surprised me. I bought it thinking it was a toy. It's a real tool.

Where there used to be lots of small jobs, "next time I fire up the chain saw...", I now grab the electric.
Easy to make a cut or two and put it away. We've taken down several smaller trees with it.
Also pleased with battery life. It goes quite a ways on a single charge.
I'm very impressed with its utility.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Iíve gone all Dewalt 20v tools this year: circular saw, oscillating tool, blower, fan, jig saw, 3/8 impact, 1/2 impact, drill, hammer drill, sawz all, flashlight, etc.

A new 7-1/4 20V circular saw came in today to replace the old 18V model. It weighs half as much it seems.

I have six 5Ah batteries and 3 chargers to keep everything running.
As I said above, my biggest disappointment in my set was with the circular saw. I'm really impressed with how the 5 ah battery woke that thing up. My old Milwaukee 18v Nicd would smoke the Dewalt cutting through dimensional lumber or plywood... but not now. I'm probably going to be on the hunt for two more 5 ah batteries and just use my 3's for my drill, flashlight and small impact driver.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

I have a dewalt 3/8 impact cordless. Love it for everything short of vehicle lug nuts.

In fact after having it a while I sold my compressor and all my air tools. Will probably get the 1/2" version at some point.

Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: