Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Buying a used camera: Shutter count

I'm looking at the Nikon D7200 with a macro lens for product photography. Used cameras that seem to be in good to excellent condition have 8000+ shutter counts.

Is that meaningful in the life of the camera?

Old 01-19-2020, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
weekend wOrrier

I'm no expert, but 8000 wouldn't scare me away.

Even if your shutter count was much higher, the macro photography isn't going to use it much- compared to say- rapid fire pics of a motorcycle races or something.

What I would want to see is how smoothly the camera actuates, and overall generall condition of camera/ equipment. Was it babied? Was it used outside and exposed to elements? I've got a 9 year old canon5d mkII which the shutter is beginning to stick on. It has WAAAAAY more than 8000 shots. It also got used outside/ rain/ etc. I might just hit it with some PB blaster. That outta do it!

Last edited by LEAKYSEALS951; 01-19-2020 at 04:48 AM..
Old 01-19-2020, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I just sold a few cameras with shutter counts in the 5000 range. Not a big deal. Entry level cameras are rated for @ 50,000 shots, mid-range 100,000, and pro 200,000. That's what I've read. But, just like cars, you can have a car with 200,000 miles that has been well cared for and will continue to run for years, others with 75,000 miles are beat.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Good to know, thank you. There are a lot of these cameras on the market. Just looked at this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D7200-USA-DSLR-Camera-MINT-Only-579-Shutter-count/254486109211?epid=215280384&hash=item3b408ddc1b:g:eSoAAOSwNQReI50U
Old 01-19-2020, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
8,000 is nothing.

People may argue this but as someone that buys and sells a lot of Nikon gear, condition is important. With only 8,000 shots it should be showroom new looking. No scratches, no wear marks. Rubber should be good, and feel good. Gold box, manuals, all original cables etc.... If, it has a white box it is a refurbished unit. Not that there's anything wrong with that - except it sold for less from the store.

What do they want for it? D7200's were going for around $699 new somewhere in the last year. D7200 is one of the best crop sensor cameras Nikon ever produced. But then many jumped to the D500, which is the best ever produced by Nikon. But a D500 is best for wildlife and birding, and a much bigger body.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

From what I can tell the Nikon 7200 used is selling for $450 and up. Mostly up, so that one looks to be a good deal with such low shutter count.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
I just sold a few cameras with shutter counts in the 5000 range. Not a big deal. Entry level cameras are rated for @ 50,000 shots, mid-range 100,000, and pro 200,000. That's what I've read. But, just like cars, you can have a car with 200,000 miles that has been well cared for and will continue to run for years, others with 75,000 miles are beat.
I agree. My d70 went 250,000. My d7000 stopped going 'click' at 280,000. Still have a d7000 with 60,000 and a d800 with 120,000.

I found theres lots of cameras for sale that are indistinguishable from new. I buy them and ride them hard and paint is worn off before they eventually die. I wouldnt buy one of my bodies.

Ive alwayed tried out used gear before buying it.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I checked the shutter count on my old D7000 before sending it off to my sis in Australia. It had 9600 or so on it. Site I used said it was @10% of what was expected lifetime so good to go.

Which macro lens are you going to pair your new old camera with Shaun?
Old 01-19-2020, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Thread Killer

To me, 8,000 clicks is like 10,000 miles on a car. It doesn't sound like you'll wear that body out doing product photography, either. I'd be curious what lens comes with the body as well. I tend to benchmark the price of a used package vs a good deal on new, where the worries of what might be wrong with it are gone. How demanding are your photographic needs? Do you plan on doing other types of photography? I'm not up on the latest best forums for good advice, but I would expect this one would be good:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/45
Old 01-19-2020, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

All good stuff, thank you Gentlemen.

Scott, that's my next question. What would be a good autofocus macro lens for the D7200?
Old 01-19-2020, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlton View Post
To me, 8,000 clicks is like 10,000 miles on a car. It doesn't sound like you'll wear that body out doing product photography, either. I'd be curious what lens comes with the body as well. I tend to benchmark the price of a used package vs a good deal on new, where the worries of what might be wrong with it are gone. How demanding are your photographic needs? Do you plan on doing other types of photography? I'm not up on the latest best forums for good advice, but I would expect this one would be good:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/45

Steve, I need to take very high res close up pics of nuts and bolts, and also close-ups of finished work, especially anodizing and chrome.

I had an old Lumix LX3. Took perfect pics but was lost in my car accident and 10.1MP was never really enough.

Have an LX5 which takes worse pics than the 3 ever did and after getting cooking oil in the view screen, it was time to get a new camera though it still works. Foolishly bought a Canon G9X which got rave reviews and I'm sure if you are out and about it takes good pics. It can't focus at all on close-up details. It is worthless so I'll keep it for a travel camera.

Researching product photography, the D7200 came up on a few lists. I need good overhead shots of hardware laid out on a table and then sectional pics and then close-up fine detail pics of something as trivial as a bolt head. And then chrome and anodizing detail pics as well.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

If you want to stick with Nikon glass, you might research what lens fits your needs first. Most of the upper-tier Micro Nikkor fast-glass is not cheap. Some will set you back several times the cost of a decent body.
There are "suitable" offerings that will work with Nikon mounts of course (Simga, Tamron, etc.), but IMO, Nikkor glass is like Porsche...there is no substitute.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
I wouldn't worry about an 8000 shutter count. The 7200 is a great body. Product photography is incredibly tedious. For what you are doing I would not worry so much about a macro lens and think more about a good (not just solid but easy to use) tripod, a good ball mount, a good posing set up (studio), lights, and editing software first. If you've got all that now you are way ahead of the game. A short zoom lens would be more versatile than a fixed macro (less jacking around with the tripod). In the context of product photography and for images uploaded to the internet where the final resolution isn't great, you'll never notice the difference between a software cropped and enlarged image and a 1:1 image.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

This is now above my paygrade. I have no idea what a short zoom lens is. Sometimes shots are of me holding something and taking a pic of it. Others it would be outdoors where shooting by hand is preferred. Even inside shooting by hand is preferred.

I've been doing point and shoot pics for years and always bothered by it's limitations to say nothing of having to color correct because of overhead fluorescent lights and natural streaming through big windows behind me. Tired of taking low quality pics and not being able to take artistic ones for instagram and facebook.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
It’s just my opinion, but I think the best piece of equipment you can have is a good tripod. The second best is good editing software. “Short zoom” is bad terminology. Too tired to explain tonight, 24 -100 is a good zoom range for car parts I would think.

Last edited by wdfifteen; 01-19-2020 at 07:04 PM..
Old 01-19-2020, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
Is this for 'studio' use?

Nikon has manf'd the top 'micro' lens system for decades from short ones to telephotos and even a macro zoom - a manual focus one at 55mm costs about $50

this is a DX (APS-C) body so those will act like a 75 mm

if what you really want is a "close-up" lens all the micros will do that too

for an AF in that range, the newest 60mm will be xlnt and act like a 90mm on the D7200

for insects, etc. get the 105 micro AF (like a 150mm or so)

for objects in your biz, use a light tent or the great Nikon micro flash unit for more detail, but also more specular reflections

Nikon also makes a DX micro lens if you want a shorter lens

and yes don't worry re shutter count - it's a pro body
Old 01-19-2020, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
shorter refers to perspective and affects the working distance
Old 01-19-2020, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
OK, can't sleep. I'm going to delve into this from my perspective. Me - I don't know all the jargon. I am neither a great technical photographer nor a creative art photographer, but I've take a LOT of pictures. Some have won awards.

The 7200 body you are looking at is great. It allows you to adjust the sensitivity of the sensor, time of exposure, and the aperture. You can do a lot of cool stuff just messing with these three adjustments. The problem with hand-held shooting is it takes away a lot of options for using these adjustments. That's why you need a good tripod. For example, you are shooting something and you can't get enough light into a dark part of the photo. A ham and egg photographer like me would put the camera on a tripod, slow the sensor down, stop the aperture down, turn the exposure time up, and "paint" some light into the dark area with a flashlight while the shutter is open. It ain't fancy, but you would be surprised what interesting effects you can get doing these kinds things.

I don't worry about diffraction and distortion and whatever the imperfections are of zoom lenses. After an hour of moving the damn tripod every time I want to reframe a photo I get tired and sloppy and screw it up anyway. If I only had a zoom lens I could reframe effortlessly. That's why I have zoom lenses.

Photoshop is endlessly entertaining. It's better than a video game. Once you learn the magic of the sliders in the "Camera Raw" mode you will sell your TV. The creative possibilities are endless, and if you are just trying to get a photo job out and there is one little flaw you can fix it without re-shooting everything.

A lot of great photos are taken by people with "pro-sumer" equipment who are creative, have a good eye, and know basic photography. A lot of boring photos are taken by photographers who know all the jargon and can quote you the diffraction and diffusion numbers for all their lenses.

Last edited by wdfifteen; 01-19-2020 at 07:52 PM..
Old 01-19-2020, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
I will second the recommendation on getting a good tripod. Doesn't need to be expensive, it just needs to be able to hold your camera.
I'd also suggest starting out with a manual focus micro Nikkor. The 55mm 2.8 would be a good place to start IMO. Not too pricey, but one of the best lenses around for what you want to do, again IMO. If I were looking for one I'd also try to find one paired with an M2 Extension tube.
This will allow you to get those up close detail pictures.
Using a manual focus lens will slow you down, at first, but it will also get you thinking about the photograph you're taking. You'll not only have to think about the focus, you'll get more involved with the exposure and how shutter speed/ISO/aperture all interact together to produce the image you want.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Here's an example of what this rank amateur has been able to do with his lenses/cameras. Not the best example but just a picture I took playing around with my setup back in 2016.

This is an 8 sec. exposure with natural lighting only.

Last edited by Scott Douglas; 01-19-2020 at 08:49 PM..
Old 01-19-2020, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: