Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Puny Bird

I have a D7200, I'm happy with it, high-entry to mid level SLR,$500 for a used body is a good price, but it's the lenses that cost the money. I've slowly collected items like tripod, bag, extra batteries, flash, etc.
The big con it doesn't have a fold out screen, which is good for events like weddings, etc., for me it wasn't a deal breaker.

This D7200 tutorial is a good watch and at the end is a good review on lenses available that you need with alternatives to Nikkor lenses. It's long but has an index in the description. Used lenses are out there you want AF or AFS for auto focus but older manual focus lenses will also work. I personally wouldn't buy a used lens unless I could inspect and try it first.
https://youtu.be/_Kw3P1yRwLs

Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.

Last edited by Mark Henry; 01-20-2020 at 06:08 AM..
Old 01-20-2020, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I have been a photographer virtually all my life and shot my first paying job when I was 15. It was a wedding on Fort DeRussy Military Reservation of a guy back from Vietnam on R&R and his girlfriend came to visit him. There were dressed in Hawaiian gear, and I shot 24 pictures and handed the film to her to get processed back home.

I carried a Hasslebad system to high school as well as my 35mm system.

We bought a used Canon EOS-1D X Mark III DSLR to shoot the oblique aerial photos a few years ago. That is some heavy iron and takes fantastic pictures. At the same time I ended up with a Canon Rebel EOS SL1 for basicly nothing. It has just over 200,000 shutter actuations on it. I carry it to car shows, and almost never use it. I did set it up for my brother to shoot me going past the marker in Key West. I set it up in rapid fire mode, and told him to fire away. I sorted through the images to find the perfect shot.

So 200K exposures is a lot, but it still runs fine.

I have a iPhone 11 Pro, that does amazing photos. That is always with me, and what I use for most photos now.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 01-20-2020, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Henry View Post
I personally wouldn't buy a used lens unless I could inspect and try it first.
Mark, I have bought a couple of lenses and cameras (for the lenses attached) off the shop Goodwill site. Didn't spend a lot of money, granted, but got some of my best lenses that way. My 55 2.8 was advertised as 'a really clean lens' and it was impressively clean and unused looking when I got it. I consider it one of my best lenses.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Puny Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
I have been a photographer virtually all my life and shot my first paying job when I was 15.

I carried a Hasslebad system to high school as well as my 35mm system.
I did weddings, portraits and commercial as well as a young lad with my brother who had a framing and photography shop. He had a Hasselblad I often manned the 35mm at weddings. He also had a large format camera and I got to use them all.

Incredible images, I'd love to have a older hasselblad with a digital back, but the D7200 fits my needs and pocketbook.
Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Not reading all the replies, but 8000 shutter count is nothing. I think of it as miles on a car.

Nikon says you'll need a rebuild at 150k.

That said, I wouldn't buy a used camera off ebay. Go to a camera shop or Best Buy and try a new one. Then hit craigslist and facebook marketplace to see one locally. try it out and see how it compares to new.

My old D90 worked great till I sold it w/ 30k clicks, and my 8yr old D4 keeps on trucking (over 40k). Only gripe I had with the D90 was the adhesive on the rubberized grip would get squishy in warm weather. The zoom ring grip on my favorite lens is doing the same.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
KEH is more costly than eBay but allows no hassle returns and has been a good source for me over the last few decades...

speaking of the iPhone:
it sounds like Shaun will want a lot of depth of field (DOF) - that goes up as the sensor size goes down - a good phone cam will give a lot of DOF

focus stacking can be done in post for the D7200, but many Panasonic m43 cameras will do it in body - much easier and quicker - I moved almost entirely to Panny m43 a couple of years ago but still have some Nikon and Hasselblad gear

I also suggest light pipes, LEDs for adding light into small dark corners for macro

items can be placed on a piece of glass to make them seem to float in space

I use alligator clips or small clamps in a fixture for small items - stick them in front of the computer screen with a colored background (MS Word with paragraph formatted to the color you want) for tabletop photography of small things
- or drape a piece of burlap over the screen put it back a bit to blur the texture
Old 01-20-2020, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Looked at Craig's list for the Boston area and found more than a few D7200's with less than 3k shutter counts.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

What a great board! Scott sent me a few CL links, one of which is perfect. I've emailed the owner and hopefully can paypal tonight. Thank you Scott!

Macro lens

Video I found on it. This is exactly what I need.

Old 01-20-2020, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Glad you were able to score that lens Shaun.
If I hadn't just spent $$$$ on a new one for my Sony I'd have been asking you to get it for me.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

And after watching the video, I wouldn't blame you at all!
Old 01-20-2020, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah, if you score that lens you done good. Congrats!
Old 01-20-2020, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
that's an older screw-drive AF lens

it will be just fine as your pro D7200 can drive it (amateur bodies D5xxx, D3xxx cannot)

AF is slower than the newest ones and it is a bit clunky - but just fine; I still have a 105 macro like that
Old 01-20-2020, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
that's an older screw-drive AF lens
Yep. Good lens no doubt...just be sure the seller isn't asking "AF-S VR" money for it because it's an f2.8.
Also it's an FX (full-frame) lens, so on a 7200 (DX) body it will be closer to 90mm (a good thing IMO).

Old 01-20-2020, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Met the seller today and given both the camera and his nice personality (super nice guy), I got the D7200 and macro lens.

But first, thanks to everyone chiming in and especially to Scott Douglas who helped immeasurably with PMs. Thank you Scott, you are definitely one of the best who make this board so great!

Here's the camera and lens. They are pretty much brand new. Came with original box and all documentation as well as a battery and charger.

Even thought my Canon G9x will reside permanently in the car now, I expect to get another lens for travel adventures.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
So put that lens on and take a picture of it.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Old 01-27-2020, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
That is a nice looking combo if I do say so myself.

Congrats!

Now, go take some pictures with it.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Yes, it's gorgeous! I'm out all of tomorrow so Wednesday I'll be shooting some pics.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
There's always TONIGHT!
Old 01-27-2020, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

I am off to bed soon, getting up at 5AM tomorrow morning. Long day tomorrow.

Plus I want to explore the camera a little first.

But pics will come soon!

Old 01-27-2020, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: