Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Slackerous Maximus

Remote working is working for my org.

We are in grim times. Plenty of negative to be found.

I offer this. I work for a big bank. I'm a software engineer. We are now 100% work from home.

Last week was not normal, neither is this one. But we delivered last week. I am absolutely stunned and heartened by our organization's ability to adapt. And I am not just talking about my team. I mean the whole org. You go from coming into an office 2 weeks ago to 100% work from home....and delivery is largely not affected.

Translation: The infrastructure to provide delivery of services is intact.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Remote for tech is generally better.

Productivity is not hampered by too many useless meetings and we tend to actually put in more hours.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I'm an IT architect and I specialize in Citrix, I'm proud of the 80k some odd people we have working remotely too.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 03-24-2020, 10:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
My dilemma is not the people that can work at home. Hell, they run out the door.

It is getting people (sales and support personnel) to go and assist in the manufacturing plants that are now task to operate at a top capacity requirement. They feel unless the task meets their level it is beneath them doing. A $175,000 salesman can not be tasked with sanitizing equipment.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Everyone I know still with a mega-bank (BOA) has been working from home for over two decades...I worked "remotely" on most IT infrastructure issues...outta the banking game for 25 years now....thankfully .

edited: Had about 2K sales folks VPN'd from around the world in my last corporate gig too.

T-Rex

Last edited by KC911; 03-25-2020 at 04:22 AM..
Old 03-25-2020, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Another large bank, and also in IT. We are all WFH for the past week or two depending upon the group. I was doing WFH 2-3 days a week before this. I know that the North American IT group switched video conferencing to Zoom (I assume due to cost) and I believe the company upgraded the bandwidth and possible some other stuff to better server folks, but the performance of my remote is pretty much the same as if I am in the office. The only difference that I have is 2 monitors at home and 4 at work (I could probably get by with 3 at work).
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 03-25-2020, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomachmonkey View Post
Remote for tech is generally better.

Productivity is not hampered by too many useless meetings and we tend to actually put in more hours.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

Oh yeah, the people who want to have a meeting to plan the meetings.

We have some guy who's main purpose in life is find parades, and get out in front. So he has been trying to hold meetings for a project that I am working on, but he is not directly involved. A couple days ago he threatened to escalate if my scrum master did not start attending his meetings. Damn did he get his ass stomped.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
As someone who cannot WFH I got to say I hope you all stay with it 100 percent when this is all over and done with traffic has been AWESOME!! 15-18 min on what used to be 40-60 minutes!!
Old 03-25-2020, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Still here

Garage
Tech world’s not missing a beat. In fact I find myself with more time and working longer. Not having to battle suburban traffic hell for an hour or more everyday has its benefits. I believe there will be positive structural changes as a result of this flu crisis...

Telemedicine is another area which will open up when the community sees how well it can work.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06C2S View Post
As someone who cannot WFH I got to say I hope you all stay with it 100 percent when this is all over and done with traffic has been AWESOME!! 15-18 min on what used to be 40-60 minutes!!

Amen cruisin the Twin Turbo @ 90 the whole way......
Old 03-25-2020, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardDrive View Post
Oh yeah, the people who want to have a meeting to plan the meetings.

We have some guy who's main purpose in life is find parades, and get out in front. So he has been trying to hold meetings for a project that I am working on, but he is not directly involved. A couple days ago he threatened to escalate if my scrum master did not start attending his meetings. Damn did he get his ass stomped.
Outstanding!
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 03-25-2020, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
Amen cruisin the Twin Turbo @ 90 the whole way......
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06C2S View Post
..............traffic has been AWESOME!! 15-18 min on what used to be 40-60 minutes!!
California and Philadelphia are/were way worse than Akron but it's still a treat on my 10 minute drive on I77 to see a lot of breathing room.

Unless a wreck or at 7:15am there is not usually congestion to speak of (slow you down) during normal times.

I did drive from Akron to Chicago for seven years. Going home Friday from Chicago starting in far west Naperville was 90 minutes of white knuckle driving before Indiana.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardDrive View Post
We are in grim times. Plenty of negative to be found.

I offer this. I work for a big bank. I'm a software engineer. We are now 100% work from home.

Last week was not normal, neither is this one. But we delivered last week. I am absolutely stunned and heartened by our organization's ability to adapt. And I am not just talking about my team. I mean the whole org. You go from coming into an office 2 weeks ago to 100% work from home....and delivery is largely not affected.

Translation: The infrastructure to provide delivery of services is intact.
Same here, for hospitals IT... Thanks to remote delivery tools (yeah Bigfix), we managed to let a lot of folks work at home with Zoom installs, VPN expansion, whitelisting stuff for network acces control, updating security software, patching, deploying a new citrix client (scary at the time), we can do 99% remotely and I'm impressed at how people are pulling together to make stuff happen so the doctors can do their thing !!! Teleclinics are now 50% of business, vs 2% before. Cool. Doing our part !

Part of me wish I was on leave like some of my friends though, it's a Cr@pload of work all while keeping the kids busy ;-)
Old 03-25-2020, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Another big bank IT guy...

Was half time remote , then recently C level wanted everyone in the office singing around the water cooler. A few weeks later , Covid and we are all remote. Things are going fine and actually getting more hours in and more work done without interruptions and drive-by conversations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2020, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Not so good for commercial RE and those REITs, perhaps.

I’m going to my office everyday. It’s just me anyway, so completely safe. I need all the screens and I get interrupted much less there.

My former colleagues are all WFH and I think it’s hurting their productivity, having only a single laptop screen. This is not a good time to be hampered in any way.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
I'm a DevOps engineer for a Fortune 500 retailer. Our company was very anti work-from-home. A couple of days before everything hit the fan, they sent out an email forbidding travels and large meetings, but very pointedly stated that the you-must-haul-your-ass-into-the-office policy was unchanged. A couple of days later, they sent out another email stating that if you really had to, you could WFH, but they sent along a contract that you and your manager had to sign Late last week they finally closed the office, but senior management keeps sending out "guidelines" for working at home - it's as if they're grudgingly accepting it for now, but don't want people to get any crazy ideas that this will be a "thing", so don't get used to it.

Funny thing is, they never had any objections to me working at home when they would wake my ass up at 1:30AM to fix a production problem.

Various VWs
Old 03-26-2020, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: