Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Bland

Garage
Quick Grab Tool Storage

Everybody obsesses over their tool carts, boxes, cabinets (not that there is anything wrong with that).

But sometimes you just want to pick up a tool quickly (and not wade thru all the crap blocking your tool carts, boxes, and cabinets)

This Thread's For You

Old 07-11-2020, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
I have a small toolbox with sockets sets, screwdrivers, pliers, box wrenches, etc. that's easy to grab for just such occasions.

I bought it from a CL ad and actually was responding to gas hedge clippers, which I bought and then saw this toolbox, complete with tools, which he let go for another $20.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Peg board over the work bench that holds all the ready to grab and go tools.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 07-11-2020, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

One of my quarantine projects was clearing up my tools. With such little time to dedicate to projects, my clean up usually amounted to throwing my tools in a Rubbermaid to be sorted ‘later’. Later rarely came.

I sorted all my tools to trade specific buckets with tool caddies or tool bags. So I can grab a bucket or bag specific to what I need then just return that to its rightful place.

I still have a set of shelves with loads of paint cans, brushes, etc. that needs to be sorted but thats for ‘later’ since I need throw in some cat litter and let them dry out before they can go in the trash.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Before I had a garage to hold my tools, I had a tool box that I got a long time ago while in school. It held all my tools during my cross country travels of my youth. It's cool because it's really square cornered and the handle lays flat so it stackable. Never seen another one like it. Has a tray like the big guys do too. When fully loaded it probably weighs close to 40 lbs. I recently left it up at my brother's place when I got sick and had to leave in a hurry. Felt absolutely lost without it being out in the garage or in the trunk of my car. I'll never not put it back in my car at the end of the day again.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

My truck has tool boxes that I stock separately from the shop(s). Each has a purpose. The driver's side has all of the hand tools that I regularly need, in stackable boxes. The right side has ratchet straps, tow rope, hitch pins, portable air compressor, and magnetic mount tow lights.

Behind the driver's seat - and THIS is very useful: flares, spare lug nuts, spare caps for axle oil reservoirs, tire valves, valve tool, red cargo flag, big lug wrenches - basically anything that I'll need for towing the trailer in a separate grab and go metal tool box.

Old 07-12-2020, 01:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
I'm in the process of making something like this.

Right now I'm using a fairly standard tool bag but the idea of making something specific like this is attractive.
Maybe one for car work and then a different one for electronic or electrical work.
So often you'd grab two of them if you need to fix someone's car at their house and you weren't exactly sure what's wrong.
I'm also using a standard Dewalt bag for my cordless drivers.
I have the two drivers, batteries, drill bits and screwdriver inserts in that bag.

I own and industrial stepper foot sewing machine and like making stuff out of leather so I'd have another tote for my leather tools.

Harry means well but he's a bit goofy. If you can get past that he makes some really good videos.

Old 07-12-2020, 02:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Im thinking about buying a service truck next . Im pretty sick of loading, and unloading trucks for every job. It would be great to have everything I need basically ready to go , mobile tool box on wheels .
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 07-12-2020, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
I see you

I've been using a 5 gal bucket with a tool roll inside it. Like all of my storage options it is now cluttered!!

“There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our overthrow. Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence.”
Old 07-12-2020, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Used User

I have several tool boxes and the crown jewel is a big roll away. That one is organized well and contains 90% of what you'd need to work on just about any aspect of a car or other mechanical job.

Not 10 feet away but just outside the door in a car port where I have large stationary machines like a Unisaw, jointer, etc., plus my main large work surface, there is a small stack with your basic kitchen drawer household tools which I go to for a quick grab of a screwdriver, adjustable wrench, hammer and that sort of thing.

Saves a lot of steps during the day. And I have it situated so that nothing every gets placed in front of it. I can definitely admit that some of the other floor model tool boxes get things leaning on them regularly. I'm trying to break that habit.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Peg board works for me.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
Old 07-12-2020, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
About 90% of my wrenching happens outside the garage so I have little use for a rolling tool cart. I have a saddle tool box on my truck that holds all the cordless, wire, saws, fittings and connectors. I have a soft tool bag with American tools to handle most on-the-job issues and an old classic Craftsman toolbox to house all my metric for Porsche and motorcycle work. Wherever my truck is, I am nearby so this works pretty well.

I have several bins with specialty parts I just slide in depending on the planned project at a job site, service yard, race track, or friend's garage.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfredracing View Post
Im thinking about buying a service truck next . Im pretty sick of loading, and unloading trucks for every job. It would be great to have everything I need basically ready to go , mobile tool box on wheels .

The size (and price) of some of the boxes these young techs have...you ought to be able to drive it back and forth to work!
Old 07-12-2020, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
screwdrivers, picks, etc. in 911 cylinder head next to door

Old 07-12-2020, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Got them in the chest.....

And got them on the wall.....

"He's got one foot in the frying pan and one in the pressure cooker. Believe me, as a bowler, I know that right about now, your bladder feels like an overstuffed vacuum cleaner bag and your butt is kinda like an about-to-explode bratwurst." - Ernie McCracken
Old 07-12-2020, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: