Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 2.71 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
My neighbor. Solar system problem?

Man. She is a handful. I finally lined her up with a good handyman.

But she still calls be for every issue. This morning we had a blackout. Her solar system has battery backup. It switched over. Power was restored and her system didnít come off the batteries. I canít convince her that her batteries will NOT power her entire house. She just rattled off what has power. TV, fridge, some kitchen lights, etc. then she will flip the list to was is not powered.

First I donít know Jack poop about her system. I THINK her home is still running on battery. It makes sense in my mind. Iíve seen the modified breaker box downstream of her batteries. There is only 5-6 items that get juice.

Is there a manual switch to these things? Hers is a Sunrun system. Which I wonít get if I ever go that route. She has so many issues.

I picked the wrong day to work from home

Old 08-17-2020, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

You're a good man, Vash.

You're building up a surplus of Karma points.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 08-17-2020, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Grappler

Garage
Tell her to call a repairman and be done with it.

1976 RSR Backdate (Turbo 3.2)
Old 08-17-2020, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
She’s making me mental.

Pro-tip. I walk my dog with me when I take her dinner or veggies from my garden. That way she won’t guilt-talk me into going inside to sit and talk.

I do sit and talk with her all the time, but I’m pretty busy usually. Example: I’ll run her dinner before I eat, so I hurry back to have a sit down meal with the wife.

The other day she called me over for her garage door when I was up on a ladder fixing my down drain. Faaccckk!
Old 08-17-2020, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Sounds like it's time to back off a bit. I'[m sure you can advise her, but let her know your're too involved to be there contstantly. Her solar system should be warranteed by the installer. She should be calling them instead of you. Most warrantee their systems (at least partially) for 15 to 20 years. I've been in the same situation a couple of times, and at some point it can get invasive untill you do something to claim your own space.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Grappler

Garage
If she was an old 300 fat guy would you be doing the same thing? If the answer is no then don't be the knight in shining armor and let her figure it out. She is consuming a valuable resource, which in this case is your time.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodsrsr View Post
If she was an old 300 fat guy would you be doing the same thing? If the answer is no then don't be the knight in shining armor and let her figure it out. She is consuming a valuable resource, which in this case is your time.
I help the elderly. I always have. Gender and BMI plays no role.

It’s the right thing to do. Within limits. I’ll be old as heck one day.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post

It’s the right thing to do. Within limits. I’ll be old as heck one day.
Good man.

Sometimes, you can just say "I don't know." You don't have to try to figure everything out, and you probably shouldn't try on some things. You don't want to mess with that and have something go wrong. You don't want to feel responsible for replacing/fixing something that gets fried.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Grappler

Garage
Quote:

Itís the right thing to do. Within limits. Iíll be old as heck one day.
I think its a stretch to say that helping a neighbor tackle home repairs (when we live in a modern society that offers these services at the click of a link) translates into being "the right thing to do" is well,,,, a bit of a stretch. If she can afford solar, she can afford to call in for service, but if you're doing this out of true altruism then just do it and quit complaining about it. Sorry....

Old 08-17-2020, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
I think its a stretch to say that helping a neighbor tackle home repairs (when we live in a modern society that offers these services at the click of a link) translates into being "the right thing to do" is well,,,, a bit of a stretch. If she can afford solar, she can afford to call in for service, but if you're doing this out of true altruism then just do it and quit complaining about it. Sorry....
Should she call a repairman to take out her weekly garbage bins? Or modify her walker to do it herself.

You are right. I am complaining a bit and maybe I shouldnít. Iíll definitely keep it off a forum. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Grappler

Garage
Regardless of my logic you sound like a good man.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
Quote:
it's apparent you really don't know cliff very well in addition to being kind of a richard with your two posts here. im also betting you gave this thread a single star rating?

aren't there some kids you can go yell at to get off your lawn?
Old 08-17-2020, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Should she call a repairman to take out her weekly garbage bins? Or modify her walker to do it herself.

You are right. I am complaining a bit and maybe I shouldnít. Iíll definitely keep it off a forum. Thanks.
Sometimes we want to vent a little. On top of that, sometimes folks on the board can put things into perspective.

I'm not sure that's the perspective that I'd have wanted to put on it.

It's great that you help her. You also have to sometimes set limits whether it's for your own sanity or just because you can't do everything for her.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

I have a sunlux system with battery and had the same issues. Wouldn't switch to battery during blackout, or if it did, wouldn't revert to panels/grid upon restoration. They made several trips back to my house to get it sorted out. Can't this lady call sunrun?

'70 914-6, '77 911, '01 Box S
'12 Ducati 848 Evo - RIP, '16 R1, '13 Aprilia RSV-R
Old 08-17-2020, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I love you thread titles. The only problem I have with the solar system is it is so big I will never get to go to the moon, much less Mars. In the end, I guess it is good our solar system is just the size it is, or we would not likely be here at the perfect distance from the sun to have liquid water on this little planet.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 08-17-2020, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Grappler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanbenae View Post
it's apparent you really don't know cliff very well in addition to being kind of a richard with your two posts here. im also betting you gave this thread a single star rating?

aren't there some kids you can go yell at to get off your lawn?
It wasn't clear the neighbor was an elderly woman until later so I assumed it was a young single woman doing what many of them typically do which is take advantage of good guys by having them to do all their work. Once I learned it was an elderly lady I changed course. I was actually looking out for him. BTW, Read post 11

Old 08-17-2020, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
It wasn't clear the neighbor was an elderly woman until later so I assumed it was a young single woman doing what many of them typically do which is take advantage of good guys by having them to do all their work. Once I learned it was an elderly lady I changed course. I was actually looking out for him. BTW, Read post 11
hhaha..now i understand you better!

funny. me and my buddies (young and dumb) saw an older lady trying to push her car. freshmen in college. one guy says, "stop the car, we have to help her". another buddy said, "no, she an old lady" first guy says, "she probably has a hot daughter!"

we pushed her car. no hot daughter. but no denying it, my one friend has foresight for days.

culturally, we tend to help elders. i dont mind, but i worry about being taken advantage of. its a fine line.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
I love you thread titles. The only problem I have with the solar system is it is so big I will never get to go to the moon, much less Mars. In the end, I guess it is good our solar system is just the size it is, or we would not likely be here at the perfect distance from the sun to have liquid water on this little planet.
man..my thread title sucks. i feel like Uranus.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
man..my thread title sucks. i feel like Uranus.
So far, the closest solar system around the star named Epsilon Eridani, ďjustĒ 10.5 light years away (although thatís still about 100 trillion kilometres!).

Too far away to worry about, but they are our neighbors.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 08-17-2020, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
She seems to be lonely.

What does she look like?

Old 08-17-2020, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: