Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Iím shopping for a new wallet. Whatís yours?

When itís not in my computer bag, I tend to carry my wallet in my right front pocket. Itís too bulky to put in a back pocket and it really is even too bulky for the front so Iím shopping for something slim. I carry 3 credit cards, my DL, medical card, library card, AAA, cash and work receipts. It should be a simple decision but itís not.

What do you carry and are you happy about it or just living with it?

Old 08-18-2020, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

If I do carry one..it's a slim leather billfold that I keep a couple credit cards and some cash. That's it.
Most of the time when leaving home...I just carry one credit card. (If planning on purchasing liquor...I'll add my drivers license)
Old 08-18-2020, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

I have a timberland wallet with a zipper around the outside. It's nice and slim and has a zipper so if I throw a receipt in the wallet, it won't fall out. It does come with a change pocket which I don't like so I cut that out.

You may want to check out something like
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-slim-wallet/
https://www.best.wiki/best-slim-wallets-for-men/
https://www.thebalance.com/best-minimalist-wallets-4582775
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 08-18-2020, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

For a reason I can't explain, I prefer the tri fold style. Currently one I picked up in a small leather shop over on the coast..maybe 20 years ago. Similar in style to this:

https://buxton.co/collections/men-buxton-wallets/products/d-type-three-fold-with-rfid?variant=30775717724300

I have been thinking maybe I should buy one of the newer ones with RFID protection...

(edit) I guess I'm happy with what I have. I mean, I've kept it for decades, so I must be. Just never gave it a lot of thought...

Last edited by pwd72s; 08-18-2020 at 10:38 AM..
Old 08-18-2020, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

I quit using a traditional wallet decades ago. A long time ago I bought a Ferrari from Ferrari of San Francisco and while picking it up, I had a look through their leather accessories case. They had a card holder made by Schedoni in Italy that's big enough for about 3 cards on each side, or a mix of cards and cash. It's usually about a 1/4 inch thick with what I put into it and not much bigger overall than the cards. I quit carrying crap I don't need and it works great. Lots of things can now be put on phones, so you don't really need to have everything in a wallet. Any receipts come out when I get home, no need to lug those around, either. It has held up well, it's probably around 25 years old now.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
credulous Boomer rube

Very new school non traditional. I love mine...

https://www.ridgewallet.com
Old 08-18-2020, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Looks about like this:

I still have several spare wallets but never use them.
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
How much are you willing to spend? I tend to keep my wallets fr a very long time so I do not mind spending a little.

Filson no longer makes the one I currently have, but if i was buying right now this is what I would get, it looks fairly slim and is made in the USA. I prefer the bi folds as they seem to have a slimmer profile.

https://www.filson.com/accessories/wallets-card-cases/bridle-leather-bi-fold-wallet.html#sku=11070399-fco-000002314
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

I have been using Trayvax wallets for several years now.. I really like them.

I was using the first version of the original, but I wore out the velcro, they hooked me up with the newer improved version that doesn't use velcro.

Opposite side has a money clip/bottle opener.

Very thin, you don't even feel it in your back pocket.

https://www.trayvax.com/products/original-2-0?gclid=Cj0KCQjw-O35BRDVARIsAJU5mQWtpa3G-ZseMoOUEwcMaBf_X1JGpdNCgNlovlDjDpVcE64XxmkYsLwaAmO PEALw_wcB

Last edited by wswartzwel; 08-18-2020 at 10:45 AM..
Old 08-18-2020, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I carry a standard wallet that folds in half. I carry cash, three credit cards, insurance cards, a couple of analog business cards, and a few photos. More and more "stuff" is in my phone. But no doctors office yet seems happy with anything but the insurance company issued insurance cards.

I have my debit card, my personal credit card, and a business credit card, and that is it for plastic cards.

It is small enough than most times it is in my back pocket. When I drive my 911 the seat edge presses on it, so I put it in my front pocket.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 08-18-2020, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
My wallet is pretty old. My sister sent it to me for Chirstmas shortly after she and her husband moved to Australia.
It's made out of eel skin.

I wear clothes with cargo pockets so it doesn't get in the way being a little bulky.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel View Post

https://www.trayvax.com/products/original-2-0?gclid=Cj0KCQjw-O35BRDVARIsAJU5mQWtpa3G-ZseMoOUEwcMaBf_X1JGpdNCgNlovlDjDpVcE64XxmkYsLwaAmO PEALw_wcB

What's the cord for??
Old 08-18-2020, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Like Roswell, I prefer the Ridge......

Old 08-18-2020, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Does any of the wallets with screws and clips set off metal detectors at airport security? That’d be a no go for me.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via AIM to chapstic2001
I am a Ridge man, myself. Super slim and RFID blocking.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel View Post

I was using the first version of the original, but I wore out the velcro, they hooked me up with the newer improved version that doesn't use velcro.

Opposite side has a money clip/bottle opener.

I've seen those or various hard/thin wallets that are similar and my first reaction was "that's cool", then after looking at them and thinking about them, I thought "my ass isn't that flat. I do take my wallet out of my pocket when I get into the Porsche, but pretty much any other time that I sit down, it stays back there. I think sitting on something industrial with sharp edges would be uncomfortable and eventually cause wear on your pocket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Douglas View Post
My wallet is pretty old. My sister sent it to me for Chirstmas shortly after she and her husband moved to Australia.
It's made out of eel skin.

I wear clothes with cargo pockets so it doesn't get in the way being a little bulky.
That looks way too thick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigster59 View Post
Like Roswell, I prefer the Ridge......

And these rigid wallets aren't tough to sit on?
Old 08-18-2020, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
what? me worry?

Bando, I had a nice Coach card holder for years, but left in in my jeans and washed it to many times..

https://dashwallets.com/products/dash-bando-slim-utility-wallet

Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 08-18-2020, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

I carry about eight plastic cards, Dr. Lic., some cash, & bit of paper like insurance & car registration. My wife kept bothering me to replace my old wallet of 20+ years. One day in a Coach outlet, she insisted I get one of theirs at 40% off. I said, "Coach! Ewwww!" However it turned out to be nice leather and just the pockets I needed & well organized. It turned out to be better than my old one. I really only carry my wallet in a pocket when I'm going into a place where I need it.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Timely thread. I bought my wallet when I was visiting Italy over 15 years ago. The edges are tearing itself into small pieces. Its a simple fold wallet and I carry two CC, one business, one personal and my debt card for cheap ACRO gas. A couple more cards like AAA and insurance card and some cash. I hate thick wallets. I agree, those rigid wallets will wear a hold in my shorts in no time. I like the thin nylon type shorts. Cargo pocket is for phone. Yep, no place for a pocket knife
Old 08-18-2020, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Sadly, other than when walking my dog in the neighborhood or inside our apt., I'm pretty sure that I always need to carry a wallet. If I drive, then I need to have my license with me. I don't want to deal with a fix-it ticket. There are also other reasons to have ID, potentially a credit card, med ins card, etc.... I don't carry much in my wallet, but I do carry it regularly.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: