Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Jones fire

Mandatory evacuation was ordered on Monday. Gathered up mostly pictures and some hand tools and left everything else behind. Migrated to my sister in laws home thirty mile away in Auburn. Could be worse. Won’t complain

Old 08-19-2020, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Wow! Wishing you luck! This year's fire season seems to be off to a fast start.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Pretty smokey here.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Nice backyard.

Guess you know better than to mess with smoke and fire.

Best of luck.
George, Architect
Old 08-19-2020, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks.....it’s my sister in laws place. Not a bad place to be evacuated to.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
good luck Bugs!!
Old 08-19-2020, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

G'day!

Garage
Sorry to hear - stay safe - positive vibes your way, Bugs!
Old 08-19-2020, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I'm in Central California - Fresno, CA. The sky has been really dirty that last few days but I did not smell any smoke. I thought it was mostly due to harvesting almonds as a lot of dust is created when they shake the trees and they have been shaking daily.

However, I just went out to lunch and the sky is awful and stinks really bad of smoke. It's giving me a sore throat. I've seen it this bad before but not for several years and usually a little later in the year like sept/oct.
'16 BMW R Nine T, '17 BMW G310R, '21 BMW R1250RS
Old 08-19-2020, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
a number of friends in the santa cruz mountains have had to evac, as well as a buddy i used to race with from carmel valley. scary stuff.

there is 2 fires, one about 30 miles from me that has smoked my area out completely. thankfully no structures threatened there. the other is way up the hill from me that is remote that has been burning for nearly a week, but at a slow, smoldering pace. they are watching it so we are told. the smoke has cooled things down a bunch, but id take the sun if the fire was out. what has my neighbors and i concerned is many of the local CALFIRE air attack resources that are stationed in columbia near us have been sent elsewhere.

hope you place stays safe.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
We Were Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanbenae View Post
hope your place stays safe.
Now that you are safe, that is all that matters.

Growing up in SoCal, fires, and I didn't know this at the time, are like hurricanes on the East Coast...where they go, how they go is understood but not exact forecasting.

It is maddening.

My father fought fires during his summers in HS in the 40's. He called it, "ditch work".

Had a big impression. On our little ranch we had fire plans like you read about, goats to knock down the brush, trash pumps to get water out of the pool, old school generators, etc.

I hope and pray you folks come out of this whole. Fire was the only thing I really feared.

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." – Winston Churchill
Old 08-19-2020, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks all. My place is within a couple of miles of Nevada City and All the resources available are thrown at any fire threatening it. Five or six bombers on constant runs and 100 ground fire fighters. These guys sure earn their money. It’s friggen hot sitting here in shorts let alone full fire fighting gear.

Old 08-19-2020, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: