Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Thanks. The relay I bought, (matches the one in the instructions), only has 4 connections. 30/85/86/87. So probably the same schematic, I'll check.

Old 10-02-2020, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
=VLOOKUP(val,tab,col,rng)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
Thanks. The relay I bought, (matches the one in the instructions), only has 4 connections. 30/85/86/87. So probably the same schematic, I'll check.
Should be fine. when 85 sees power, 86 sees ground (or vice versa) then 30 and 87 will connect.

- so 30 to the + on light, 87 straight to bat. 86, should go to toggle which has ground on the other side.

85 is switched power (+) or bat (+) if you want the lights to go on anytime regardless of key.

rjp
Old 10-02-2020, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
=VLOOKUP(val,tab,col,rng)

Garage
PS I think I got 87 and 87a mixed up in the diagram. On a 5 pin, how it is wired in my ****ty drawing is correct.

If you got a 4 pin, the center should be blank. Hope that's the case. if so, same thing

rjp
Old 10-02-2020, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908/930 View Post
How many watts are the bulbs? 60w 100w?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908/930 View Post
If you are using a relay a 15A switch is fine, it is only turning on the relay, a 20A relay should be fine for up to 2 x 100w bulbs. I think 12ga wire should be good, 20A fuse. You can use the smaller wire for the switch to turn on the relay but put a 5A fuse on it.

The best way would be a relay for each side and then use smaller fuses and smaller wire size,
Thanks, I think that the bulbs are only 55w. (Just verified).

I was looking up the state regulations wrt fog lights and now I might have another problem. The maximum height mounted is 30" and my 4x4 F-250, (stock/not lifted), puts them slightly higher if mounted on top of bumper, where I want them. There isn't anywhere else on the front of vehicle to mount these particular lights, other than on a light bar, which of course would be higher.

That got me wondering about all of the lights I see on light bars on the roofs of Jeeps and 4x4 trucks, or even on top of hoods, etc. What the what?
Old 10-02-2020, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Used User

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
Thanks, I think that the bulbs are only 55w. (Just verified).

I was looking up the state regulations wrt fog lights and now I might have another problem. The maximum height mounted is 30" and my 4x4 F-250, (stock/not lifted), puts them slightly higher if mounted on top of bumper, where I want them. There isn't anywhere else on the front of vehicle to mount these particular lights, other than on a light bar, which of course would be higher.

That got me wondering about all of the lights I see on light bars on the roofs of Jeeps and 4x4 trucks, or even on top of hoods, etc. What the what?
In CA (IDK about other states) auxiliary lights are more or less prohibited no matter where they are mounted. The fix is to use the covers while on the public roads.

That won't help you though. I think you'd like the convenience of not having to get out of the cab to remove the covers if the weather is so bad as to need them. The plus side of using the covers is that the lights are protected from breakage, which happens more than you think.

If you put the lights on top of the bumper you will be violating the 30" rule but but by how much? It would take a real dick of a cop to pull you over for that aspect alone. You'd need to shine them right in his eyes and then he will maybe write you, but it will be primarily for using the lights, not the couple of inches over regulations. IOW, the fix-it ticket for those types of lights is to remove them altogether. Unless you can somehow convince the authority that the covers are ALWAYS in place.

I think the poachers that run these pointed somewhere but directly down the road have given auxiliary lights a bad rep.

You don't see the in SoCal so much. Most here are posers, not poachers.
Old 10-02-2020, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
I'd probably have the covers on all the time unless I was using them in fog or snow, maybe really bad rain.

Funny thing happened on the way to installing them just now...I mocked them up on the bumper and I'm getting cold feet about mounting them on such a clean, stock truck. It's 22 years old w 233k miles but dang is it still pretty.

I might put them on my RV instead but it has a pretty face as well. Thoughts?
Old 10-02-2020, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Nice guy eddie

Garage
Truck:

The RV:

Old 10-02-2020, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
My same vintage Excursion had the fogs on either side of the license plate, was a bit of a cleaner look I think.

Not thinking they would look good on the RV.
Old 10-02-2020, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911boost View Post
My same vintage Excursion had the fogs on either side of the license plate, was a bit of a cleaner look I think.

Not thinking they would look good on the RV.
Thanks, I agree. The RV should have '80s style rectangular ones like a 911SC hanging below the bumper if anything.

The Ford Super Duties and Excursions had small round fogs built into the bumpers starting a couple years after my truck was built, on either side of the license plate. Is that what you had or bigger ones?
Old 10-02-2020, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
my first thought, when reading your original post. was this sounds like Lucas.

i don't know much about auto wiring, but something sounded wrong.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Correct, the small square ones from the factory and I agree on the RV.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered

I’ve had fog lights on a bunch of different cars and I’ve never found them to be of much use.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
Iíve had fog lights on a bunch of different cars and Iíve never found them to be of much use.
I know what you mean but I thought that some huge yellow ones might have some benefit in a snow storm or fog. They would make me more visible to others, if nothing else.

Now, I don't want to put them on. That's the beauty of Amazon, though. Free returns w no hassle.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The lower they are the better for fog.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: