Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Fog lights:

I bought some fog lights I've been wanting for my PU truck and they arrived without any additional wiring or switch. All good, they were cheap and I don't mind wiring them. Easy job.

My plan was to wire the positive directly to the batteries of the truck, which are about 12" away from where the lights will be mounted, and then wire the ground through a toggle switch on the lower dash, with maybe an inline fuse on the positive side.

Any flaws in this plan? I never wire added accessories through existing wiring or switches, it's so much easier and safer to wire them directly. TIA.

Last edited by speeder; 10-02-2020 at 08:14 AM..
Old 10-02-2020, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
The lights:

I can double check but almost certain that they are 55w bulbs.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Not sure about inspection in your state but some states don't allow the fogs to work when high beams are illuminated. May want to consider wiring them through the headlight switch with a relay.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche tech View Post
Not sure about inspection in your state but some states don't allow the fogs to work when high beams are illuminated. May want to consider wiring them through the headlight switch with a relay.
This truck sits in CA. most of the time and is in WI now. The fogs would only be used out on the road in bad weather conditions. Not sure how I would ever get cited for how they are wired(?) There is no vehicle inspection as you describe in any state I reside in.

There is zero chance of wiring them through the factory headlight switch, (which would not even prevent them from being used w high beams). They would have to be wired through the turn signal stalk, that controls high/low beam.

EDIT: Which is probably wired through headlight switch(?)...I see what you mean.

Any input on my wiring plan? Is it solid from an electrics standpoint?
Old 10-02-2020, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I would use a relay with the low beams. There are kits out there for it.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
King Broinyo

You should use a relay in the circuit. Plenty of wiring diagrams online to look at. Google aftermarket fog light wiring diagram.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

I would have thought you'd want a relay so you don't have the current going through the switch, but maybe I'm wrong.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 10-02-2020, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper35 View Post
I would want a way to turn the lights completely off, not necessarily so they are always on when the low beams are on, although that's not as big a deal with fogs as it is with driving lights.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 10-02-2020, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
I would want a way to turn the lights completely off, not necessarily so they are always on when the low beams are on, although that's not as big a deal with fogs as it is with driving lights.
Yes, I wasn't clear in my post. It also can have them unpowered when the headlights/parking lights go off so you don't forget.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Fuse it. Beyond that, whatever you want to do.

I would be inclined to use a relay driven from something that powers off with the key, but a decent switch will handle that current no problem.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper35 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostril Cheese View Post
You should use a relay in the circuit. Plenty of wiring diagrams online to look at. Google aftermarket fog light wiring diagram.
There is a diagram that came w the lights, I just don't want to wire them through my factory light switch. They need their own switch no matter what, unless I want them on at all times. I drive w my headlights on during the day up here in the woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
I would have thought you'd want a relay so you don't have the current going through the switch, but maybe I'm wrong.
Do you mean the toggle or flip switch I plan on installing for the lights? I was planning on having only the ground wired through that switch. Is that the same as having power going through it, as far as amperage to the switch? I'm not an electrical genius but I always wire things like this in their own circuit w a fuse. Can't go wrong that way.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
These fog lights absolutely need their own switch, independent of the factory headlight switch. Are you guys recommending that they are wired through the headlight switch solely to have some sort of *lockout* function where they cut off w high beams?
Old 10-02-2020, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Nice guy eddie

Garage
Oh yeah, they're yellow.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
King Broinyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
There is a diagram that came w the lights, I just don't want to wire them through my factory light switch. They need their own switch no matter what, unless I want them on at all times. I drive w my headlights on during the day up here in the woods.

Do you mean the toggle or flip switch I plan on installing for the lights? I was planning on having only the ground wired through that switch. Is that the same as having power going through it, as far as amperage to the switch? I'm not an electrical genius but I always wire things like this in their own circuit w a fuse. Can't go wrong that way.
The aftermarket switch for the fog lights would be used to energize the relay. You dont want current for the fog lights going through that switch. Headlight switch is not involved at all

A relay typically has four terminals

1. 12V from battery
2. Ground
3. Switch or trigger wire
4. Output... (lights, etc..)
Old 10-02-2020, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Ok, I'll get a relay. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
( with maybe an inline fuse on the positive side.) You absolutely need to put a fuse on the positive side battery rated to the wire, and right at the battery.

Past/ BMW's, 71 2002, 81 320i, 77 630csi, 81 528i, 84 533i, 89 535I. 81 Toy Hilux 4wd, 77 Toy FJ40, 72 Kawa H1 500, 85 Yam V-max, 95 Kawa ZX-11.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Iím at the auto parts store right now and donít know which switch or wire to buy. I did get a relay w the correct terminals according to instructions that came w lights.

They sell a 15 amp switch, 20/25/30 also. I have no idea what it needs. Also, what gauge wire and how big of an inline fuse? The wires coming from the lights are surprisingly wimpy, maybe 18 gauge?

Thanks.

Old 10-02-2020, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
How many watts are the bulbs? 60w 100w?

Past/ BMW's, 71 2002, 81 320i, 77 630csi, 81 528i, 84 533i, 89 535I. 81 Toy Hilux 4wd, 77 Toy FJ40, 72 Kawa H1 500, 85 Yam V-max, 95 Kawa ZX-11.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
If you are using a relay a 15A switch is fine, it is only turning on the relay, a 20A relay should be fine for up to 2 x 100w bulbs. I think 12ga wire should be good, 20A fuse. You can use the smaller wire for the switch to turn on the relay but put a 5A fuse on it.

The best way would be a relay for each side and then use smaller fuses and smaller wire size,

Last edited by 908/930; 10-02-2020 at 10:59 AM..
Old 10-02-2020, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
=VLOOKUP(val,tab,col,rng)

Garage
Here’s a really ugly diagram I made just for you

-5 prong normally closed relay. Don’t say I never helped a fellow Pelican. Low load on toggle switch. Grounded.

87 to bat +

30. positive (+) on light, neg on light to any ground

85, + switched power

86- toggle switch to ground.

87a- leave open.

Ur welcome.

rjp

Last edited by RANDY P; 10-02-2020 at 11:29 AM..
Old 10-02-2020, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: