Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Paul_Heery Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_Heery
Portable Monitors

Anyone using a portable monitor for use with their laptop? I've been looking at them and think I could use at least one. I'd like to get the input of others regarding what they have been using and their experience with them.

At my desk, I have 4 monitors running off of my work system. When traveling, I find that I am far less productive using the single screen on my 13" Macbook Pro. The lack of screen real estate forces me to toggle back-and-forth between apps versus having multiple apps open on multiple screen.

However, most of the options that I am seeing for portable monitors have limited resolution. The majority are 15.6-inch IPS screens with a native resolution of 1920x1080 pixels. I'd like to get something of this size that has a higher resolution.

I like most of the specs of the Asus ProArt PQ22UC, except for the form factor. This monitor is almost 22 inches wide and that puts it outside of what I would deem to be portable. Ideally, I'd like something 16 inches wide or less.

I only really need a USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 connection for the monitor. But, I would consider options that provide other ports as well.

What are others using for a portable monitor and what is your experience with them?

Old 10-05-2020, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
We had a 1080p USB powered on for our admissions nurse that went on site to interview people. It was only 13" but fit in the bag with the laptop. For documents it worked well enough.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I've never heard the term "portable" used to describe a monitor.

'83 SC Targa - since 5/5/2001
'06 911 S Aerokit - from 5/2/2016 to 11/14/2018
Old 10-05-2020, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAtarga View Post
I've never heard the term "portable" used to describe a monitor.
I've got a 17 inch USB powered portable monitor.

Weighs nothing and is the same dimensions as a 17 in laptop but thinner so slides right into the backpack with the PC.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Heery View Post
Anyone using a portable monitor for use with their laptop? I've been looking at them and think I could use at least one. I'd like to get the input of others regarding what they have been using and their experience with them.

At my desk, I have 4 monitors running off of my work system. When traveling, I find that I am far less productive using the single screen on my 13" Macbook Pro. The lack of screen real estate forces me to toggle back-and-forth between apps versus having multiple apps open on multiple screen.

However, most of the options that I am seeing for portable monitors have limited resolution. The majority are 15.6-inch IPS screens with a native resolution of 1920x1080 pixels. I'd like to get something of this size that has a higher resolution.

I like most of the specs of the Asus ProArt PQ22UC, except for the form factor. This monitor is almost 22 inches wide and that puts it outside of what I would deem to be portable. Ideally, I'd like something 16 inches wide or less.

I only really need a USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 connection for the monitor. But, I would consider options that provide other ports as well.

What are others using for a portable monitor and what is your experience with them?
I stopped using my portable 17' monitor in favor of my iPad Pro and Sidecar.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Band

Garage
Apple wants to sell you a nice, fast MacBook with a 16" screen built in...
Old 10-05-2020, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Yes. With my employer issued MS Surface. USB C powered (make sure you get the right flavor of cable) screen of roughly the same size. Works well. Got it from Bezos' outfit.
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - under refinement.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 10-05-2020, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
I didn’t know that was a thing!

2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
2010 Harley 48
2013 Honda 250 CRF
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 10-05-2020, 10:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
“Portable monitor” on Amazon turns up some choices, from monitors that stand alone to ones that clip onto your laptop and fold out. Here is a 4K choice: https://www.amazon.com/Corkea-38402160-Resolution-Touchscreen-Cellphone/dp/B08131MVGT/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=17+inch+portable+monitor+4k&pd_rd_r=fb7b1849-566f-4333-a447-e213605dffea&pd_rd_w=VbmJT&pd_rd_wg=wltNS&pf_rd_p=9ab5c07f-ecbc-469e-955f-4dd6d65646b8&pf_rd_r=6S53EDQNGKNXR3X1X5A8&qid=1601979925&sr=8-9

The iPad + Sidecar idea is interesting too.

I, too, have a hard time working with just one screen. I think it would be interesting to take two or three portable monitors, come up with a collapsing and slim stand, and have a multi monitor rig that could be quickly unfolded and set up in a hotel room etc.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyl View Post

The iPad + Sidecar idea is interesting too.
Mostly because I always carry it anyway, it's untethered and touch enabled so I can use my pencil with it.

Old 10-06-2020, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: