Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Thanks for filling in the gaps, Wayne. It’s cool to hear the process of the deal.

... hopelessly perusing the web for a new Porsche romance.
Old 12-26-2020, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered

The race plaques really got to me. My grandfather took me to that Vanderbilt race in 1960. Up til then, he took me to guarter midget races at Roosevelt Raceway and this was the first time I saw full size cars. Also Bridgehampton is where I took my first driver's training for my SCCA license. Brings back great memories.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Registered

Georgio and the Testadoro at Equinox

I competed against this car at the Mt. Equinox Hillclimb some years back. A very interesting (to say the least) fellow named George (Georgio) Waltman owned this car. It had the distinctive logo on the side that featured a mouse holding a fused bomb. Waltman usually appeared in military garb and a leather flying helmet. He came into the banquet dressed that way and announced that "Lindy had landed in Paris!" The car had a small Fiat engine which promptly blew its head gasket. Waltman lifted the head and surrounded the combustion chambers with solder (no gaskets available) and refit the head. The repair lasted all of about a minute and a half. There was an inn at the mountain top and most of us stayed there. Waltman had a one man tent he slept in outside the parking lot. The hill climb itself has been run by the Vintage Sports Car Club of America as they have been the custodian of this event for decades. The course consists of a 5.2 mile road, 53 turns, an elevation change of 3,140 feet, with speeds up to 100 mph. Hardly suited for the little Fiat powered special. Good luck with the car. I hope to read more about its storied racing history.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Registered

Congrats Wayne...

Congrats Wayne on a super COOL acquisition... takes me back to my childhood and my red Pagco Jet .09 powered tether car!
Jeff P

Old 12-28-2020, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Registered

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Millstein 1 View Post
I competed against this car at the Mt. Equinox Hillclimb some years back. A very interesting (to say the least) fellow named George (Georgio) Waltman owned this car. It had the distinctive logo on the side that featured a mouse holding a fused bomb. Waltman usually appeared in military garb and a leather flying helmet. He came into the banquet dressed that way and announced that "Lindy had landed in Paris!" The car had a small Fiat engine which promptly blew its head gasket. Waltman lifted the head and surrounded the combustion chambers with solder (no gaskets available) and refit the head. The repair lasted all of about a minute and a half. There was an inn at the mountain top and most of us stayed there. Waltman had a one man tent he slept in outside the parking lot. The hill climb itself has been run by the Vintage Sports Car Club of America as they have been the custodian of this event for decades. The course consists of a 5.2 mile road, 53 turns, an elevation change of 3,140 feet, with speeds up to 100 mph. Hardly suited for the little Fiat powered special. Good luck with the car. I hope to read more about its storied racing history.
^^^^^^^^^^^

WOW! Small world!!
Great read!!
1966 Bug stock-2004 Toyota Rav4-1989 XJ6 Jag
1975 914, 1965 Norton N15CS 750, 1975 Husqvarna 360 CR GP 1982 Honda 500 XLS
Old 12-30-2020, 03:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Author of "101 Projects"

Slowly gathering more info on the car, it really is an interesting piece. Right now, trying to refit a new steering shaft with smaller wheel and a steering wheel disconnect so that I can actually fit in it!

George Waltman is indeed famous for driving one of his cars to the Daytona 24 hours, and racing it himself without a pit crew!

https://www.news-journalonline.com/sports/20180123/waltmans-incredible-racing-feat-50-years-ago-in-rolex-24

Quote:
DAYTONA BEACH — Fifty years ago George Waltman took a car that a friend found at a police impound lot in the Bronx and drove it down to Florida for the Rolex 24 At Daytona.

The big difference between Waltman and others coming down for the event was that he then raced the 1964 Morgan Plus 4 street car, by himself, finished the race, took a side trip to Miami and then drove it back home to New York — all on the same set of tires.

Waltman set a Daytona International Speedway and sports-car record unlikely to be broken.

He is the only driver in Rolex 24 At Daytona history to run the entire race solo and take the checkered flag. It is a tale packed full of racing lore.
-Wayne
Old 01-04-2021, 11:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Registered

Kodachrome, it was a wonderful thing.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

The Porsche calendar prints from the 1960s and 1970s look the same. Not sure why, but they are magical and unlike anything that is produced today.

Hmm, I'm getting nostalgic - I'm going to have to pull out my Technics turntable soon!

-Wayne
Old 01-07-2021, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Registered

It’s hard to say if those are original or if they have been enhanced in the intervening years. Still, Kodachrome slide film was special. It gave incredible color saturation and amazing detail, particularly in the slower film speeds. They offered speeds as low as 25 ASA, which would’ve been perfect for pictures of cars sitting in the pits on a bright sunny day.

Those of us that were serious photographers decades ago were saddened the day that the last Kodachrome roll was processed.

Old 01-07-2021, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: