Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I see you

Splice lock connectors...

I need to tap into a switched power lead on the Duc so I can power a relay on a fuseblock. Cutting and soldering is NOT a one handed skill so I'm considering using these press splice connectors.

Yea or nay?

“There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our overthrow. Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence.”
Old 12-21-2020, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Are you talking about the 3M snap lock like these? If so, my vote is No.

Old 12-21-2020, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabmando View Post
Are you talking about the 3M snap lock like these? If so, my vote is No.

Yup.

“There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our overthrow. Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence.”
Old 12-21-2020, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

BY "these", do you mean the cheap plastic things you buy at any auto parts store? If so, I'm not a fan.

If you need to use that sort of connector, here's hoping there's something better out there.

A good method, if you can't get in there to solder, is to carefully remove 3/8"-1/2" of the insulation of the existing wire, then insert something between the wire strands (assuming not solid core) so about half are on each side. Once you've created an opening, pass the stripped end of the new wire through the opening and twist everything together. You'll figure it out from there.

Then there's these, which I've used a lot over the last few years with great results ...

Old 12-21-2020, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
I've never used those - I always wire nut my spices. Seems to be a better method. Can you not use wire nuts?
Old 12-21-2020, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I've used the 3M gel connectors before, worked great! It depends on the wire gauge which one you would use.

Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm K View Post
BY "these", do you mean the cheap plastic things you buy at any auto parts store? If so, I'm not a fan.

If you need to use that sort of connector, here's hoping there's something better out there.

A good method, if you can't get in there to solder, is to carefully remove 3/8"-1/2" of the insulation of the existing wire, then insert something between the wire strands (assuming not solid core) so about half are on each side. Once you've created an opening, pass the stripped end of the new wire through the opening and twist everything together. You'll figure it out from there.

Then there's these, which I've used a lot over the last few years with great results ...

That's a good idea.

Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm K View Post

A military splice Norm??

I'd go with shrink tube butt connectors, get one that can handle two wires into the one end, slide a longer piece of shrink tube over the single wire, make the splice and heat, let cool, slide the bigger piece of shrink tube over the splice and shrink it on. I'm a fan of a double seal on things that might get wet.
Old 12-21-2020, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
I like craigster's top pic as the best solution. Those things are slick. I've used the round two wire connectors before but not that larger one.
Old 12-21-2020, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Wetwork

Garage

I just bought a pack of these for some mod stuff I'm doing on my FJ cruiser seem pretty slick so far. If I ever have to remove the splice its just a pin hole.-WW
Old 12-21-2020, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Danned

Garage
how to tap? into a terminal or into a wire?

terminal is easiest - get a single to double Faston and yer done

for tapping into a wire, there is a columnar shaped thing with prongs - it unscrews and you enclose the wire in it; screw to pierce
- then you put the add-on wire into the other end and screw that down

wish I had a p/n or pic handy but hope that helps - ones I have are yellow
Old 12-21-2020, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Danned

Garage
ya know I think it is called Posi-tap

mine are yellow and longer than the ones above
Old 12-21-2020, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The ones I posted are pretty slick. You push the wire stripped or unstripped in either end, crimp the button down with pliers and blades slice into the wire while releasing a gel that helps with conductivity.

They’re waterproof but you can shrink tube or tape for extra protection.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Scotchlok is what you want.
These things are magic and last for ever.
https://www.parts-express.com/3m-idc-self-stripping-connector-with-sealant-10-pcs--082-165?gclid=CjwKCAiArIH_BRB2EiwALfbH1H-REXUhbT79djzBc1XzY2UPHwpuqWDNEN_A_KWdjQeFim2uK8Hv9 hoCO-UQAvD_BwE
Old 12-21-2020, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
^^^^ That’s a version of what I posted. They’re the tits.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Danned

Garage
but will they work for an inline connection?

or are they the butts?
Old 12-21-2020, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
King Broinyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigster59 View Post
I've used the 3M gel connectors before, worked great! It depends on the wire gauge which one you would use.

This is what I use on projects. 3M scotchlok. You dont need to strip the wires either.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Dog-faced pony soldier

Garage
Posi taps are used on adventure bikes all the time. They’re quality and hold up under harsh conditions.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Registered

I WOULD NOT use the item in Post #2. Those things are awful. Can't you run a wire straight to the fuse block? Just pick a switched terminal.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

If I had a nickle for every electrical problem that was eventually traced to a G&**,,,,%%n scotchlock connector - I could retire now. Seriously, please use quality butt connector with heat shrink.

'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 12-22-2020, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: