Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
if you could only have one BBQ grill?

would it be propane or charcoal?
i really dont have enough room for two.
the propane unit i like is the weber genesis B. and i like the weber kettle with the easy vent and dump on the bottom. $450 versus $200 respectively.
cliff

Old 06-01-2004, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to joeclarke
Quote:
would it be propane or charcoal?
Answer: "no"

Natural Gas = convenience, no mess, no fuss, if available. My weapon of choice.

Propane = Bottle PIA.

Charcoal = Best flavour (if you spring for charcoal rather than briquettes) but too slow in this day of instant gratification.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I was a BBQ purist. I considered charcoal an unacceptable compromise. I cooked over wood coals when I could. Well, 10 years ago my wife bought me a Weber Genesis. I have seen the light. They are remarkable. You can control temp. so much more easily. The Weber has a smoker box attachment for wood chips that works amazingly well. I'll never go back.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
For ease of use the Propane unit is best. For taste the (real) Charcoal (not briquettes) unit is the way to go.

Are you planning to cook quickly (Grill) or slowly (BBQ)?

I'm in the process of restoring a Charmglow "Chef's Choice" grill from the 60's. They've become quite the collectors item as of late. BTW, it uses Natural Gas which for me is the most convenient.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

I love propane and propane accessories.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

i was totally into - charcoal....

but now it's all about propane - hank hill style!!!

very convenient!!
Old 06-01-2004, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Licensed User

I dont know anything but my propane Weber.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I'm building a BBQ island in my backyard. I was thinking of getting the Grand Turbo (corny name) from BBQ Galore. Something like $1400 for the large one. Anyone have comments on this grill? Here is a picture of my neighbor's grill setup that I'm somewhat copying.

Old 06-01-2004, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Used User

Electric. Given the new info on cooking meat (which I haven't eaten in 22 years), I would not want my family members to eat anything that wasn't cooked thorougly at a lower temp. No flames (of either kind ).
Old 06-01-2004, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
david! you are no longer allow to reply to this thread. you just gave me grill envy.

electric grills? no way.
charcoal set on "sear" can get up to 1500 degrees. i used to sear ahi tuna just on the charcoal chimney coal starter. i love the convience of the propane units. cooking a single piece of chicken for myself is not out of the question, but charcoal has the flava. and i want to try to do a standing rib roast with indirect heating. damn, i think i need two grills. this is tough. kinda like, which hilton sister would you want? TOUGH! thanks.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

David, my parent have that BBQ from BBQ Galore - looks like the same thing, but with a slightly smaller grill area.

It's been great, nice even heat and control, and very, very durable. Cooked a lot of great steaks on it over the years!
Old 06-01-2004, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Until I went for gas, I used Mesquite charcoal.
It gave a great flavor.
But then it 's said to give you cancer too.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I'm off the hook.....

Every grill I have had for the last 11 years of living at the beach is toast after 2 years.

I buy whatever is on sale at Costco that has a shelf on either side and a temp guage in the lid.

The constant salt air eats everything up down here.

There is a mesquite chip briquettes that go in the propane grills. I have to change it twice a year, but works great.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 84porsche
I have the 4-burner version of the Grand Turbo from BBQs Galore with natural gas. Works incredible.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

I've had a Ducane for many, many years. The warranty is excellent. I just ordered parts to rebuild the thing and everything was covered with the exception of the igniter ($35). It would not have needed a rebuild had I kept it covered during the rainy season or kept my dogs away from it. The grill is pricey though. I think I paid $550 almost 8 years ago.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
17 years and 17k posts...

Garage
I'd like a Charmglow Natural Gas model, if they even make them any more...
www.ford.com
Old 06-01-2004, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Look into "the big green egg" -
it's ceramic - charcoal or wood burning grill.
temp is completely regulatable.
gets up to temp in 10 minutes
you can bbq for 48 hours (ie smoke a brisket or whatever)
people are fanatics about them for good reason
they're like the porsches of the cooking world

(and yes i've had weber gas grills, and viking ranges etc, and the big green egg is defintely the best tool in the heat arsenal)
Old 06-01-2004, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ZAMIRZ
We have both, the gas one has a grille and the charcoal one is open flame used for shish kabob, lamb, chicken kabob. The gas used mostly for steak, chicke breast and drumsticks, tri-tip, stuff like that...

'83 911SC
Old 06-01-2004, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Wow, some of you guys have over-the-top outdoor kitchens!

From a more humble viewpoint, I vote for propane. So much easier than charcoal. My ideal grill would be stainless steel, with stainless steel racks, an upper rack, rectangular (cooler corners to stash the more-cooked pieces), shelves on either side, and a thermometer in the lid.

However, the stainless steel grills I found were all really large. If you want a smaller grill, there are SS marine grills (for yachts) that might work, if you can rig up a stand.

http://www.clasmar.com/1burner.html

Edit: oh, I guess they make stands for landlubbers too. Why didn't I buy one of these, darn it?

http://www.clasmar.com/domestic_trolleys.html

Last edited by jyl; 06-01-2004 at 07:34 PM..
Old 06-01-2004, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

ronb;

I've got the same beast , used to be sold by Kingsford. Made by some company in Kentucky. It is the best and most easily regulated charcoal grill, and I've had a bunch. the stand/cart is great, and I bet these grills still don't cost more than $175-200.

'95 RS --SOLD
'77 930 Steel Slantnose "Wedgie"
'57 Speedster planter
Breeding family of Volvo/ BMW Wife + kid mobiles
'Rib-Breaker' '01 CRG 125 shifter kart
Aprilia RS50-weedeater with fairing
Old 06-01-2004, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: