Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Student of the obvious

What's the best way to buy a web address and have a simple site hosted?

Title says it all. I need a very simple, very low bandwidth web site. The address I want is available. I see a lot of free hosting, but seems the companies will place ads on the site, which I don't want.

Mazda 3 S Touring Hatchback
Old 10-13-2006, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jriera Send a message via Yahoo to jriera
godaddy.com for domain registration and hosting,simple and cheap
Old 10-13-2006, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'll host you for dirt cheap, including a mail address (or two), DNS service, etc. You just have to buy the name. For name buying, I use dyndns.com since I used their free service for a long time before I needed a "real" domain.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Here ya go. Free domain name if you pre-pay a year. EXCELLENT 24/7 tech support.

http://www.hostmysite.com/hosting/linux
Old 10-13-2006, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

Quote:
Originally posted by jriera
godaddy.com for domain registration and hosting,simple and cheap
+1
Old 10-13-2006, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
B58/732

I'll bet you can't beat id10t's offer...
Old 10-13-2006, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Student of the obvious

I was doing some reading on this topic. Some suggest that it's best to buy the name through the company doing the hosting. Is this true?

Mazda 3 S Touring Hatchback
Old 10-13-2006, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jriera Send a message via Yahoo to jriera
It should not matter. Usually the only advantage is $$'s, cheaper if you do it with the same company. godaddy is running some offers, use code gdh1019 if you go with godaddy.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Lee - to be honest, no. It does matter that you get your name from a honest registrar, so you actually own it. There are a few out there who have scammed and they own the domain, and let you use it, as long as you host with them. Change hosts, no more domain.

Also, be aware that *all* legit domain activities pretty much take place by email - not postal. Wife got scammed for $50 last December 'cause one of the scammer sent something in the mail relating "to your domain gruv.org and indexing". They were supposedly a search optimization site, but of course they never did anything beyond cash the check...

When you buy the domain, you'll need to define a primary name server and maybe a secondary that will be the authority for your domain, and in turn those 2 machines (or one machine with 2 ips) must have a DNS service listening that will respond with answers for your domain, any sub domains ( pelicanparts.com is wayne's domain, www.pelicanparts.com is a subdomain, as is forums.pelicanparts.com ), and optional things like where email to user@domain should really be sent (mx records or mail exchangers).

Last edited by id10t; 10-13-2006 at 03:09 PM..
Old 10-13-2006, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

I wrote and article about this a few years ago.

http://networkoracle.com/website.htm
Old 10-13-2006, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Quote:
Originally posted by LeeH
I was doing some reading on this topic. Some suggest that it's best to buy the name through the company doing the hosting. Is this true?
Not all the time. If they set it up for you they can list themselves as one of the contacts making it a bit more difficult to move somewhere else. They can't actually keep it from you but they can create red tape.

Scott
Old 10-13-2006, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I host on my servers at home
I host with a company in TN (IX Hosting) very cheap and great
I host in Kuala Lampour Malaysia, for offshore "legally questionable material" in a very secure datacenter.

Depending what kind of internet connection you have at home, turn that old computer collecting dust into an internet server (takes about an hour) and you can host 100's of "normal sites" on existing stuff.

I use "network solutions" for many of my domains, as their DNS is more configureable. So, even though I could run my own DNS servers (requires 2 static IP's), I choose to use them.

Checkout IX hosting, they are dirt cheap, and I have been very impressed with them. I have one account with 3 domains, and manage another account for some clients.
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 10-14-2006, 01:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: