Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
vott does ziss do?

Ultimate R/C Aviation Thread?

so this forum needs another picture thread like I need another hole in my head, but I just can't resist. Slodave posted two on that "other" picture thread that really put a smile on my face. to me, there's nothing quite as therapeudic as going out to my favorite field on a nice sunny day with my favorite flyers.

I therefore have taken the liberty to hijack his pics and give him the privilege of having them posted here as the first entry. how ironic that they are my favorite R/C subjects

happiness is the perfect thermal on the perfect day

and something a little more exciting

thanks Slodave!

Old 02-10-2008, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to slodave
You're welcome. Here's mine:

It's a Paragon 3M with telemetry and GPS. I can hook my receiver up to my laptop and get a digital display, similar to an airplane. I also have a 900 MHz camera system.

'84 Targa - Arena Red - AX #104
'07 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Yes, I'm that guy...
'01 Toyota Corolla - Urban Camouflage - SOLD

Last edited by slodave; 02-10-2008 at 09:03 PM..
Old 02-10-2008, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

and a few of my own. our Fun Fly from last year...

Old 02-10-2008, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

dang, Dave! you're quick. keep 'em coming

Old 02-10-2008, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
My display...

Last edited by slodave; 02-10-2008 at 09:17 PM..
Old 02-10-2008, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slodave View Post
It's a Paragon 3M with telemetry and GPS. I can hook my receiver up to my laptop and get a digital display, similar to an airplane. I also have a 900 MHz camera system.
wow! well, I have no telemetry as of yet, but my current project is a Trex 450SE with a color camera system. I have all of the hardware, but still need to do the electronic install. I'll keep you posted
Old 02-10-2008, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 1fastredsc
Funny that this thread just popped up, i recently got back into RC. Mine stay grounded though....
Old 02-10-2008, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slodave View Post
My display...
now that is cool! how about some info. what's the product? how small is the TX? how much does it cost? I WANT, I WANT
Old 02-10-2008, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastredsc View Post
Funny that this thread just popped up, i recently got back into RC. Mine stay grounded though....
sorry sir, but that post is worthless without pics...
Old 02-10-2008, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
now that is cool! how about some info. what's the product? how small is the TX? how much does it cost? I WANT, I WANT
I replaced the image. I don't what happened with the Slt on the first one, but it was not accurate. My record is 3537ft MSL (2478 ft from ground level).

Check out www.eagletreesystems.com. They make products for helicopters as well.

Here is the telemetry setup...

The red square up front, is the GPS receiver. It usually sits on top of the wing.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

great! yet more cool stuff to soak up my cash. however, I am intrigued. is there no end to this madness?
Old 02-10-2008, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
No end! Your heli is more costly than my glider though. Balsa is cheap! There is carbon fiber/fiber glass integrated in my glider as well. I have been with ETS from the start and upgraded along the way. Good guys. The main tech guy is still there and great to work with!

Well, my telemetry and video systems are worth about $1000.-, so on major crash and I've lost a big investment!

I also have a fan boat in the garage rafters at my parents house. The was fun. Over sized engine - that thing hauled!

Two cars as well. A gas two speed, with 911 GT2 body and Ferrari body and an electric with two 911 GT2 bodies (one for driving, one for show).

Old 02-10-2008, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
There is no such thing as an inexpensive hobby! I know none of mine are.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

true, true. I'll have more than one K wrapped up in my 450SE once she's done, and that doesn't include my DX7. my collection also includes, among other birds, a Graupner Discus 4meter, two more helis, a bunch of Tamiya F1 cars, and a host of other lesser R/C toys

I guess it's all a matter of priorities
Old 02-10-2008, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I started with cars, but when I started with my glider, the intention was to move up to gas planes. I have no interest anymore and enjoy the ability to stay up for 2+ hours at a time. I am limited by batteries and my neck. When I fly 2,000 ft above ground, I fly in actual airspace and have to watch out for small planes heading to the local airport.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mikester
Not the best picture but...

Dave, you ever make it to the Basin?

I've been flying there a few years now...

I heart Boobies
Old 02-10-2008, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Mike, I don't fly there, due to the 400 ft ceiling, but I do go and watch every now and then. I also rollerblade and pass by Apollo field all the time. I wish they would open up the control line tarmac to cars. I never see anyone using it and it has great potential for R/C road cars!

Old 02-10-2008, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Funny, I see the CL guys there nearly every weekend I am... The 400ft ceiling never bothered me but I think I stay under it mostly. I know it is much more important to stay far away from the big ones out of Van Nuys.

I heart Boobies
Old 02-10-2008, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
I have been out of it for a bit, but I can usually be found at Pierce College, above the football field weekend mornings. I belong to SFVSF (San Fernando Valley Silent Fliers f.1970). We welcome all electric aircraft. A number of the guys are switching over to 2.4. It's a challenging field for large gliders, but there are so few of us, that there usually is unlimited flight time. Not the 15 minute rule at Apollo.

Do you fly during the week at all? Give me a heads up and I'll stop by.

Dave

Old 02-10-2008, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Usually I'm out on Sunday mornings lately, there is an event this Sunday and I should be there for that.

I was actually on the board for a few years for the SFVF and hope to be again when my time allows. I haven't switched over to 2.4 ghz myself but I will eventually, right now 72Mhz works fine for me. I fly my electrics at the park near my house when I have time and I go out and have fun at the Basin on the weekends for a few hours in the morning.

I heart Boobies
Old 02-10-2008, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: