Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Used Up User

Garage
Nawlins next week - 1st since Katrina

I'll be exhibiting at The Pot Luck Conference next week in New Orleans. I haven't been there since pre-Katrina.

Any dinner suggestions that come to mind? We'll be at the Sheraton on Canal for the duration. Drago's in Metairie is on for Wed but are there any other places that stand out? We'll be a laid back group rather than 5 star crowd since the Pot Luck seems more about drinking than pro audio. I have a specific request for soul food . . . ???

tia

Ian

----- “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein -----
Old 05-30-2008, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Bannd

Garage
Hey - Ian - I have a HUGE List -- can send it as Email attachment.

Send me an Email if you want it.

- Randy
Old 05-30-2008, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Used Up User

Garage
Thanks Randy. I emailed you.

Doesn't anybody go to New Orleans anymore?

Ian

----- “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein -----
Old 05-30-2008, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Politically Incorrect

The last time I was there, I came across a little place called NOLO. One of Emeril's restaurants. Fantastic meal, as I recall.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BRPORSCHE
Ian there is a burger place in NO that is simply awesome. Can't for the life of me remember the name right now, but I just texted my buddy that lives there and I'll get the name for you.

Whatever you do, or don't do, you must drink atleast 5 hand grenades, ride the mechanical bull on burbon, and post pictures of you with pretty Southern Belles.
'87 924S - Keep's the Porsche DNA in my system while the 911 is down.
aka "Wolf boy"
Old 05-30-2008, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Port-O-Call down in the French Market (far west end of French Quarter where Bourbon Street ends and intersects Esplanade) might be the burger place you are thinking of. Either way, it's worth going to. I'd also recommend Louisiana Pizza Kitchen down there in the French Market. Also, during the day, pop into Central Grocery on Decatur for a fresh, deli-made Muffoletta...authentic and out of this world!!

Outside the Quarter... go to Camellia Grill on St. Charles for incredible breakfast...also, Deanie's in Bucktown for the Seafood Platter. There is a Deanie's in the Quarter now, too, but the one in Bucktown is the real experience.

That should get you started...

JA
Old 05-30-2008, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Unfair and Unbalanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcarthur View Post
I'll be exhibiting at The Pot Luck Conference next week in New Orleans. I haven't been there since pre-Katrina.

Any dinner suggestions that come to mind? We'll be at the Sheraton on Canal for the duration. Drago's in Metairie is on for Wed but are there any other places that stand out? We'll be a laid back group rather than 5 star crowd since the Pot Luck seems more about drinking than pro audio. I have a specific request for soul food . . . ???

tia

Ian
What do you like? There's a million choices!
Red Fish Grill, Star Steak House, let me know what you're looking for. I'll be glad to help.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BRPORSCHE
yup Port-of-call. Thats the place. Highly recommend it.
'87 924S - Keep's the Porsche DNA in my system while the 911 is down.
aka "Wolf boy"
Old 05-31-2008, 03:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Used Up User

Garage
Thanks guys. Your suggestions + the list from Randy = Good Eatin'.

We'll have 5 days in NO & we plan to drag customers out so it should be fun. My wife is not happy.

Red Fish Grill, Bacco, Stella!, Dick & Jenny's . . . beignets . . .

Mule: I don't do sushi or liver. Foie gras makes me gag.

Ian

Old 05-31-2008, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Platinum Member

I second (or is it third) Red Fish Grill....
Old 05-31-2008, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

If you want reservations at Bacco's, Redfish or Ralph's On the Park PM me. I've got connections. Probably won't need them at Bacco's or Redfish during the week but if you want to go to Ralph's on the Park then you may very well need reservations.

Definites:

Redfish Grill on Bourbon. Best casual rest. you can go to in the city in my opinion. I eat there 2-3 times a week. Do Not Skip this one. Make sure you get their daily salad special and save room for one of their deserts.
Bacco's for very good Italian. In the French Quarter.
Ralph's on the Park. A little outside of the touristy areas. Incredible food that you'll remember. A little pricey but highly recommended.
Cafe DuMonde. No trip to NOLA is complete without a stop here for breakfast
NOLA. Very good. More expensive than Redfish
Delmonico. Another Emeril rest. that's 5 star and the best eats in the city. Bring the bigger pocket book.
Commanders Palace is surprisinly affordable for lunch.
Drago's is very good.
Palace Cafe on Canal is very good.
Mr. B's (french quarter) is very good. Ask for the Ronald Reagan table. My fav. spot in the rest.
Port of Call for Burgers. At the end of the FQ. Do not go at night and don't look up when you're inside.
Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse. Very good but not cheap.

Skip:

Mother's. Overrun by tourist and the food really isn't any good.
Deanies. Not that good.
ACME in the F. Quarter. Again not that good. Strangely the ACME in Metairie is much better.
Bourbon House. Terrible chairs only decent food for the money.

If you have any questions I've probably been there. Ask away.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

By the way a good resource for resteraunts in the city:

http://www.nomenu.com/RestaurantsOpen.html

This guy is on the radio every night from 3-5 pm on AM channel 1310. He knows his stuff.

There are a few Soul Food rest. in the area. I have no specific experience with any of them and the few I know about I wouldn't want to go in those 'hoods.

Last edited by ELLSSUU; 05-31-2008 at 06:35 PM..
Old 05-31-2008, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Used Up User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLSSUU View Post
I have no specific experience with any of them and the few I know about I wouldn't want to go in those 'hoods.
Yeah, that's what I was wondering. Thanks for the tips.

Ian

Old 06-01-2008, 02:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Unfair and Unbalanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLSSUU View Post
If you want reservations at Bacco's, Redfish or Ralph's On the Park PM me. I've got connections. Probably won't need them at Bacco's or Redfish during the week but if you want to go to Ralph's on the Park then you may very well need reservations.

Definites:

Redfish Grill on Bourbon. Best casual rest. you can go to in the city in my opinion. I eat there 2-3 times a week. Do Not Skip this one. Make sure you get their daily salad special and save room for one of their deserts.
Bacco's for very good Italian. In the French Quarter.
Ralph's on the Park. A little outside of the touristy areas. Incredible food that you'll remember. A little pricey but highly recommended.
Cafe DuMonde. No trip to NOLA is complete without a stop here for breakfast
NOLA. Very good. More expensive than Redfish
Delmonico. Another Emeril rest. that's 5 star and the best eats in the city. Bring the bigger pocket book.
Commanders Palace is surprisinly affordable for lunch.
Drago's is very good.
Palace Cafe on Canal is very good.
Mr. B's (french quarter) is very good. Ask for the Ronald Reagan table. My fav. spot in the rest.
Port of Call for Burgers. At the end of the FQ. Do not go at night and don't look up when you're inside.
Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse. Very good but not cheap.

Skip:

Mother's. Overrun by tourist and the food really isn't any good.
Deanies. Not that good.
ACME in the F. Quarter. Again not that good. Strangely the ACME in Metairie is much better.
Bourbon House. Terrible chairs only decent food for the money.

If you have any questions I've probably been there. Ask away.
Ditto Another star for Palace Cafe
Dickie Brennan's is also top notch.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Used Up User

Garage
Just to wrap this thread, I thought I would give the results of my restaurant results in NO over the last week as a thanks to all for the suggestions:

Day 1: Drago’s – Metairie $$

This is a local haven with awesome Char-broiled oysters. That’s why you go & that’s what you eat. The rest of the food was good but not at the level of their oysters. Family-type atmosphere.

Day 2: Redfish Grill – New Orleans $$

Noted as a highlight by many, we took a crowd & had a good meal. Not great but very good.

Day 3: Bacco – New Orleans $$$

Nawlins food with an Italian twist. Very, very good. The tuna & the beef were highlights.

Day 4: Luke – Hilton St Charles - New Orleans $$

We had a major party here with a table of 20. The size of our group overwhelmed the kitchen’s ability to serve us in a timely fashion. The last diner got his meal as many of us were finishing which wasn’t cool. Everybody really enjoyed their food however & a bunch of them returned the next night. An Alsatian menu which was also very different.

Day 5: Stella! – New Orleans $$$$

Just the 3 of us on the last night after the conference wrapped. This was true dining. Great food, great service, great ambience. A real treat.

As a side note, our group was slumming & most of our party were very casually dressed – jeans & Ts. This was a pro audio studio crowd with long hair & tats etc. Stella! was the stuffiest but they accepted us without comment or sneers.

And New Orleans is making a strong comeback but the Bourbon Street crawl is only a pale imitation of what it was in the past. At times, the hawkers outnumbered the revelers. A very visible police presence too.

Ian

Old 06-10-2008, 03:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: