Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

AC Questions................73.5T

Air conditioning................a real delight when it functions well!!

Fortunately for me my 1973.5T came with dealer installed AC back when it just rolled out of the Birmingham, Alabama showroom. Forward 35 years and the old red cloth barrier hoses were replaced, the compressor replaced with an upgrade and a new drier installed.

I have to replace the hight pressure fitting at the compressor due to a leak so all the R-134 is gone and the system open. As I read through all these threads and view the AC parts vendors, I see read more on "cleaning" of the system. The large shop type pressure self contained units are pricey; however, I see a lot of vendors selling the spray cans of cleaner that is shot through each component and the hoses to clear the gunk and debris for better cooling. My two condensers, evaporator and expansion valve are certainly the target of a needed cleaning since they are as old as the car, but all still function well (for as Porsche at least).

Questions:

Has anyone used the spray can cleansers and noted good cleansing results?
Any brand name recommended?
It is recommended you clean the unit(s) two times to get everything out.
Are they a waste of money? I thought the lubricating oils keep the system clean!
Is their any specific procedure in the cleaning process or good tips on the process?

Appreciate any input

Thanks
Bob
73.5T

Old 06-10-2008, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
'79 911SC TARGA

If you didn't have a blown compresser, where as it would have sent metal shavings through the system, don't flush the system with anything. The wrost problem that you could have would be a little bit of moisture in the system, unless you drove in the rain with the system opened up somewhere. Then you might have alot of moisture. From what you have said,
I would just evacuate the system for a long period of time (about 6 hours on a vacuum pump)
then charge it with refrigerant.
If you still have moisture in the system, it will show up on the gauges with a very low pressure on the low side or even be running in a vacuum on the low side.
I don't think that you have anything to worry about. Just evacuate and recharge.
GOOD LUCK

'98 HARLEY HERITAGE SPRINGER
'11 Ford Edge
Old 06-10-2008, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: