Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I'm getting a Vizsla!

Well after several years of perpetual delay, I finally decided to take the plunge and get myself a real hunting dog. To date, my attempts at getting my wife's mini schnauzer to point birds... actually to point anything have proved fruitless.

I have long decided that a Vizsla fits my needs perfectly for a companion as well as a bird hunting partner. They are one of the most beautiful breeds out there in my opinion and I am really excited. I found a reputable breeder about two hours away from me and have been on his waiting list. A litter was born last month and I will drive out there and pick out a baby girl on the 24th and go back to bring her home on November 7th.

Have any of you ever raised a gun dog? I'm a little intimidated by the concept of training a dog as it requires a tremendous amount of time and energy. But, right now (no kids) I have the time and figure I should strike while the iron's hot.

Vizslas are a really neat breed with a fascinating history... a graceful and athletic dog in a relatively small package... But now I'm just bragging.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:22 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

These are phenomenal dogs! I had a neighbor in Chicago who had one the same time I was raising my lab-rott mix. They got along great, very social, very smart, tons of personality.

Congratulations!
84 M491 Coupe, Slate Blue Metallic
Old 10-13-2009, 06:25 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I shouldn't bag on the Schnauzer too much... I love him dearly too... but he is more of a cat in a dogs body.

Here is Eli.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:28 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
ping lowyder993. I think he has some vizslas that he hunts with.

One of my favorite breeds...
Old 10-13-2009, 06:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland Pate View Post
I shouldn't bag on the Schnauzer too much... I love him dearly too... but he is more of a cat in a dogs body.

Funny/sad story of how I got my dog. My mom must get us Christmas gifts. My gf and I were going to get pound pup anyway, so we told her: big dog, female, mutt, rough and tumble sort of animal that is more at home running in the woods than anywhere else. I grew up rural and we always had 4 dogs that were with us in fields, ponds, woods, everywhere.

We come home for Christmas. of course my mom can't hide her excitement, she runs up and gets a little carrier. We open it up and what do we find? A little pure bread miniature schnauzer. The exact opposite of what we wanted: fru-fru yappy dog that needs a special haircut. We tried for 3 days to love the dog but it wasn't happening. I would have rather gotten a cat (our cats used to bring home 5 foot black snakes and leave them on the steps).

So looking in the papers, we found a few litters, went and visited the first one and went against every single rule when it comes to buying a dog like a rott mix...too young, house was a mess, no vet care of any kind.... Father was the biggest Rottweiler you've ever seen. Was in back yard. When he saw us in the kitchen window, came running through yard and thought he was going to come through the window. Mom was a more reasonable lab-rott mix herself, sweet dog. We took home a pure black little fluffball. Best dog in the world, she passed away last fall. I miss her terribly and might get another next year.

My mom kept Max, the little schnauzer dog who would run behind the couch and bark whenever you came in the house.
84 M491 Coupe, Slate Blue Metallic
Old 10-13-2009, 06:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Congratulations. I have two GSPs, very similar breeds, mine aren't working dogs. Get yourself a good e-collar and several buckets of patience...

Old 10-13-2009, 06:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
one of gods prototypes

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bell Send a message via Yahoo to bell
E-collars are great when you need them, my dad had to use one on his late golden retriever because she loved swimming....so much that when they'd go to the lake she'd try to swim across....a short press of the button and she'd swim back LOL

That first pic is awesome leland
Old 10-13-2009, 07:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Congratulations!

I have hunted behind 4 Viszlas over the years. One was a world class sprinter out too far!
Great on the point and finding down/dead birds. They've been a joy in quail/pheasant camp and in the field.

RIP: Jake, Jack.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:18 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:

Here is Eli.

That dog is sweet! And you nailed it: Mini Schnauzers are really cats in a dog's body. Here's ours:

Old 10-13-2009, 07:31 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
They are incredibly smart and highly trainable but seriously, point with a Schnauzer?

They are ratters. I think their prey drive is way to high for pointing.

Vizsla, nice choice.

Don't be surprised if the Schnauzer runs the show.

Shaun, your mom had a wimpy one. Mine pound for pound was by far the fiercest animal I've ever owned.

And yes I did forget to call you. Sorry.

Will do in the morning on the ride in.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I had a GSP, very similar to a Vizsla, and he was a good dog. Make sure you have fresh running shoes, they need lot's of exercise. I still think the dog was smarter than me, really impressive bread.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
a.k.a. G-man

Garage
This pic is great!! Looks like a really nice dog, have fun!!

Quote:
32C Member #41

1986 911 3.2 Carrera (not stock)
1974 911 2.7 9114102230 SOLD
Old 10-13-2009, 10:27 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
Why Vizla and not Lab?
Past: 1990 VW Corrado G60, 1997 BMW M3
Keep Calm and Carry On
Old 10-13-2009, 10:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
I recommend you get this book:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Help-Dogs-Train-Themselves/dp/0963012703

It is an excellent early development book. There isn't much real training you do in the first 5 months, but the conditioning you can do is very important.

Have fun!

George
Old 10-13-2009, 10:39 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Banned

I miss my dog Buck. He is a Choc lab, I left him with my mom when I moved here.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:22 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche4life View Post
Why Vizla and not Lab?
Labs are like the tan Camry of the dog world, everyone and their brother has one.

Labs are also flushers so the tempo and style of the hunt will be different than being with a pointer. I think most of it just comes down to personal preference and what type of terrain you hunt in.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:07 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Thanks guys! I'm really looking forward to her.

Quote:
They are incredibly smart and highly trainable but seriously, point with a Schnauzer?
Sorry, it was my attempt at humor. Eli doesn't even care for treats. You can't do much with a dog that can't even be bribed with food.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:39 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to spyderman
Congrats!

Vizslas are beautiful dogs. I'd be tempted to get one, if I wasn't so enamored with Brittney Spaniels. Very similar in abilities and personalties. Your "little girl" will be loads of fun if you take the time up front.

My two girls after a day in the field.

Gruppe B #099
SCWDP Member 0013
Old 10-14-2009, 06:03 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Did somebody say Vizsla???

They are great dogs, I got mine after I had to put down my GSP and my lab. My wife didn't want a dog as hi-strung as a GSP...pfffttt!!!! Mine were very easy to train, alot of it is just playing w/ them...they'll blossom as they start figuring out what you want of them. E-collar is a must in my opinion. I was dead set against them till I nearly lost my GSP after he broke a pheasant and went across a road w/ a car coming...don't know how he didn't get plastered. Usually only takes 1 or 2 times and they remember.
Start looking around for a pheasant or game bird farm. Take a drive out there, see if you can get some wings. Keep them in the freezer...I'd take them out and hide them in the back yard...you'll be amazed at how quickly they figure out they're supposed to find them. Tie 1 on the end of some fishing line. Keep pulling it away till the dog starts putting the sneak on it. This will help bring out their pointing instincts. I also go to the feed store in town. They have live pigeons. I'll get 6 or 8 of them. Tuck their head under a wing...holding the wing over the head, turn them upside down and spin them around. It puts them to sleep and you can hide them wherever you're training. Keeping the dog on a check cord, let her go up and find the bird. Don't let her get it. You can put a foot underneath the bird and nudge it...it'll wake up and fly off. That's how I train w/ live birds in So. Cal. Too far to go to get to a shooting area or to find wild birds. YMMV living where you do.
Work her constantly, ALWAYS keeping it fun. She'll backslide...but she'll also make huge leaps. You'll have a real sense of pride and accomplishment when you are out in the field working together. Of course, any questions...PM me, Goat or 911mnypt. Now to show off a little too:

05 Ferrari F-430
"If its worth doing...it's worth doing to excess"
Old 10-14-2009, 06:32 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Student of the obvious

I'm getting Vizsla today, too! In fact, he should arrive any minute now. But he's just a rental. Board member Jeff is kind enough to loan me his crazy dog on occaision... Jeff will even take his family on vacation just to make it seem like there's a good reason to let Mojo spend a few night with us. What a guy!

'72 911 3.0L - SOLD Now a resident of the UK
Old 10-14-2009, 06:40 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Old 10-14-2009, 06:40 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: